Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 06:43 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times

Advertisements

washingtonpost.com (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2008, 07:16 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,555,982 times
Apparently, teaching has now joined the ranks of jobs Americans won't do. We can pay ignorant 'pro' athletes millions of dollars to entertain us by playing with balls, yet we don't consider the education of our children as being important enough to pay decent salaries. It's a national disgrace.

Old 09-14-2008, 07:37 AM

7,025 posts, read 11,405,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Apparently, teaching has now joined the ranks of jobs Americans won't do. We can pay ignorant 'pro' athletes millions of dollars to entertain us by playing with balls, yet we don't consider the education of our children as being important enough to pay decent salaries. It's a national disgrace.
Agreed. My heart goes out to this generation of victims of the decline in the quality of all things previously American.

Old 09-14-2008, 07:38 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,555,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Agreed. My heart goes out to this generation of victims of the decline in the quality of all things previously American.
Sad, indeed.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:00 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,605,139 times
My husband the elementary school teacher offers an interesting insight. He claims teachers are poorly paid because it is still considered woman's work!

I can't comment about foreign-born teachers, because the population where I live, Los Angeles, consists of so many born out of this country. If legalized citizens can pass the tests to pursue teaching, why not? It's a good thing to encourage education, whatever level. I'm far more prone to grouse about underpaying educators, as you all have mentioned.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:05 AM

2,065 posts, read 3,592,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
My husband the elementary school teacher offers an interesting insight. He claims teachers are poorly paid because it is still considered woman's work!

I can't comment about foreign-born teachers, because the population where I live, Los Angeles, consists of so many born out of this country. If legalized citizens can pass the tests to pursue teaching, why not? It's a good thing to encourage education, whatever level. I'm far more prone to grouse about underpaying educators, as you all have mentioned.
Yes, if the pay was commensurate with the education required there would be plenty of Americans wanting to teach. As it is, you really have to WANT to be a teacher in order to tolerate the abyssmal pay that the profession garners.

The 'race to the bottom' continues...

Of course, if we weren't spending BILLIONS to educate children who shouldn't even BE HERE districts could afford to pay more, too.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:13 AM

50,241 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
Yes, if the pay was commensurate with the education required there would be plenty of Americans wanting to teach. As it is, you really have to WANT to be a teacher in order to tolerate the abyssmal pay that the profession garners.

Of course, if we weren't spending BILLIONS to educate children who shouldn't even BE HERE districts could afford to pay more, too.
I'd say the ratio at my kid's school runs about 30% anchors being bussed in. The school down the street runs about 70% anchors and mostly bussed in.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:15 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,605,139 times
Agreed, but at least be thankful that most L.A. teachers endeavor to inculcate more American attitudes in these kids of parents that shouldn't be here. They call it making the playing field more level to those in the rest of our country, to give children the stimulation, intellectual curiosity and exposure to American culture, values, laws, sports, etc. that they never receive in their own homes. Why doom children not to be able to function outside of their immediate, aggressively multi-cultural limitations in L.A.? The U.S.A. and its myriad opportunities are rather bigger than L.A.

Old 09-14-2008, 10:19 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,324,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post

Exactlly!

Nicolem

Old 09-15-2008, 12:23 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,751,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I'd say the ratio at my kid's school runs about 30% anchors being bussed in. The school down the street runs about 70% anchors and mostly bussed in.
anchors?
As in kids who are American citizens?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration