Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 05:35 PM

3,645 posts, read 4,926,082 times

Advertisements

It's coming folks. The government is not only being derelict in their Constitutional duties but purposely bringing about anarchy. Just like what happen in SF and also in PA the blood is on their hands. I wonder why it is that the government just does demand a better education for all, as opposed to always and only worrying about the ones who don't speak our language, and probably don't belong here.

Texas ordered to improve bilingual education (http://www.statesman.com/news/content/news/stories/local/07/26/0726bilingual.html - broken link)

Texas ordered to improve bilingual education

TEA has until the end of January to change program for secondary schools

DALLAS — A federal judge on Friday gave the state of Texas until the end of January to come up with a plan to improve education programs for secondary school students with limited proficiency in English, criticizing the state education agency for "failing to ensure equal education opportunities in all schools."

U.S. District Judge William Wayne Justice said the Texas Education Agency is violating the civil rights of Spanish-speaking students under the federal Equal Education Opportunity Act. Furthermore, the state's monitoring of programs for students with limited English-language skills is "fatally flawed" because of unqualified monitors, undercounting of students with limited English proficiency and arbitrary standards, Justice said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 05:55 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
why don't they simply force the spanish speaking folks to learn the language of our nation. English. Yes by all means provide tutors and programs to bring them up to speed. But to require everyone else to adapt is just bizzaro

Old 07-27-2008, 05:58 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,565,019 times
This has nothing to do with anarchy. I wish people that bashed bilingual education in Texas would teach for just one day in a Texas classroom. I get so sick and tired of hearing "well this is America" or "Asian kids do fine without it". That's not the point. The point is to offer every child in the country a fair and equitable education. It is not the fault of the child if he or she is raised in an environment where Spanish is dominant. Bilingual education in Texas is based on years upon years of educational research which demonstrates bilingualism in general expedites the learning process. If we really had the nards in this country, we would REQUIRE ALL CHILDREN from the first day of Kindergarten to learn a foreign language. It would not have to be Spanish. This could be decided at a local level. In Europe, even the dullards are bilingual. And I see the same people who bash bilingual education in America praise the European educational system on these very same boards.

Old 07-27-2008, 06:04 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
why don't they simply force the spanish speaking folks to learn the language of our nation. English. Yes by all means provide tutors and programs to bring them up to speed. But to require everyone else to adapt is just bizzaro
They don't want to learn the language of this nation. They're pretty clear what they want, they want to have dual citizenship with Mexico, they want services provided them in Spanish, have Spanish television, radio, and schools.

This is more about the NAU and globalization than hard working immigrants coming because they wish to be American.

Old 07-27-2008, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
This has nothing to do with anarchy. I wish people that bashed bilingual education in Texas would teach for just one day in a Texas classroom. I get so sick and tired of hearing "well this is America" or "Asian kids do fine without it". That's not the point. The point is to offer every child in the country a fair and equitable education. It is not the fault of the child if he or she is raised in an environment where Spanish is dominant. Bilingual education in Texas is based on years upon years of educational research which demonstrates bilingualism in general expedites the learning process. If we really had the nards in this country, we would REQUIRE ALL CHILDREN from the first day of Kindergarten to learn a foreign language. It would not have to be Spanish. This could be decided at a local level. In Europe, even the dullards are bilingual. And I see the same people who bash bilingual education in America praise the European educational system on these very same boards.

That's nonsense spread only by those who want to make the USA a Spanish speaking nation.

Children can learn English quickly. Asian children do -- and yes that is the point. There is no good reason at all to keep some children in a language barrio. I had neighbors from Mexico who did speak Spanish in their home, they enrolled their 4 year old in a private preschool that was all-English, he was speaking fluent English in 4 months.

If these "immigrants" cannot adapt, cannot learn then they need then stay home in their own countries. Teaching the children in Spanish only keeps them speaking Spanish and dropping out in middle school.

Last edited by malamute; 07-27-2008 at 06:17 PM..

Old 07-27-2008, 06:10 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,655,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
They don't want to learn the language of this nation. They're pretty clear what they want, they want to have dual citizenship with Mexico, they want services provided them in Spanish, have Spanish television, radio, and schools.
Oh oh and dont forget what else the want. The free medical care.

There is only one offical language here. There are also laws. Both which are mostly ignored by the politcos. All the do is write new laws to protect the illegals. Sickening !

I hear they are also pressuring the American govt to adapt the Peso.

Old 07-27-2008, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Really? I have been to europe and have met quite a few that spoke only their native language. Its common to find some with english ability but by no means is it a given that a german will speak both german and french or what ever.
I speak English and Thai. By choice. This remains a free country so far.... forcing a foreign language upon us is not freedom. I can understand your frustration although I feel its misplaced. Blame should be for the parents of your students who chose to remain ignorant and refuse to adapt. Thats not the tax payers fault nor should the tax payer be forced to foot the bill.

Old 07-27-2008, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I once lived in a school district that required all children entering kindergarten to have some basic skills. This was smart because it kept immature and unready kids from starting before ready and it encouraged parents to get off their rear-ends and get their children prepared for school.

The problem with some of these parents is they lack all initiative, are completely uninvolved and don't care about education whatsoever and believe they have no responsibility at all in their children's education.

Basic skills were minimal of course, but the skills that any 5 year old child should have. Basic English vocabulary, such as dog, cat, horse, rabbit, the 8 colors you see in an 8 box of crayon. Basic shapes and drawing.

Old 07-27-2008, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
That's nonsense spread only by those who want to make the USA a Spanish speaking nation.

Children can learn English quickly. Asian children do -- and yes that is the point. There is no good reason at all to keep some children in a language barrio. I had neighbors from Mexico who did speak Spanish in their home, they enrolled their 4 year old in a private preschool that was all-English, he was speaking fluent English in 4 months.

If these "immigrants" cannot adapt, cannot learn then they need to stay home in their own countries. Teaching the children in Spanish only keeps them speaking Spanish and dropping out in middle school.
Great post
case in point when I go to thailand I teach my nephews and nieces english. I leave books and without fail when I return their english is improved. Some folks just dont want to make the invaders learn instead they feel it is we who should adapt.

Old 07-27-2008, 06:38 PM

2,258 posts, read 3,493,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post

There is only one offical language here.
Haha, uh, no there's not?

Anyway, bilingual education is a mess here, and I know firsthand working in the districts. These kids move into upper grades without having a competent grasp of either language, Spanish or English. It's not about forcing kids to speak one language - that is morally bankrupt and schools don't do that anymore.

It IS about ensuring these kids who are in the school system are not at a disadvantage when they progress into society. If a student speaks great Spanish? Fantastic for them, and they'll have an edge other kids who are English-only. But it's going to be hard for them to move ahead if they show limited English capability. That's just the way it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration