U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-06-2007, 06:40 PM
 
597 posts, read 1,786,042 times
Reputation: 332

Advertisements

“We have the possibility of transforming the American dream into the American tragedy,” says Irwin Kirsch, a senior research director at ETS and the lead author of the study.

They're calling it the perfect storm. The three factors identified are: a shifting labor market increasingly rewarding education and skills, a changing demographic that include a rapid-growing Hispanic population, and a yawning achievement gap, particularly along racial and socioeconomic lines, when it comes to reading and math.
...
The individual trends have been identified before, but this study makes an effort to examine their combined effects, and to project a disturbing future, including a sharply declining middle class in addition to the lost ground in literacy.
...
One factor that’s been gaining increasing attention lately is the changing economic rewards in an economy in which demand for manufacturing and lower skilled labor is declining. It’s become tougher for workers without higher education—or higher cognitive skills—to get the sort of job that can support a family.

But exacerbating the changes such an economic shift is causing are demographic factors, researchers say. Baby boomers are retiring and being replaced by less-skilled workers. A combination of immigration and population growth means that the share of the population that is Hispanic is expected to grow from 14 percent in 2005 to more than 20 percent by 2030. More than half of the immigrant Hispanics lack a high school diploma.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2007/0206/p02s01-legn.html

Were you ever worried about the gap between the rich and the poor? If you can't notice it now, take a look around in 20 years. It will be very apparent by then. The US will be one giant Los Angeles, where you have the very wealthy and then you have everybody else who is trying to scrape by...

Last edited by Yac; 02-07-2007 at 07:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-08-2007, 06:21 PM
 
1,393 posts, read 869,473 times
Reputation: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdizzle View Post
“We have the possibility of transforming the American dream into the American tragedy,” says Irwin Kirsch, a senior research director at ETS and the lead author of the study.

They're calling it the perfect storm. The three factors identified are: a shifting labor market increasingly rewarding education and skills, a changing demographic that include a rapid-growing Hispanic population, and a yawning achievement gap, particularly along racial and socioeconomic lines, when it comes to reading and math.
...
The individual trends have been identified before, but this study makes an effort to examine their combined effects, and to project a disturbing future, including a sharply declining middle class in addition to the lost ground in literacy.
...
One factor that’s been gaining increasing attention lately is the changing economic rewards in an economy in which demand for manufacturing and lower skilled labor is declining. It’s become tougher for workers without higher education—or higher cognitive skills—to get the sort of job that can support a family.

But exacerbating the changes such an economic shift is causing are demographic factors, researchers say. Baby boomers are retiring and being replaced by less-skilled workers. A combination of immigration and population growth means that the share of the population that is Hispanic is expected to grow from 14 percent in 2005 to more than 20 percent by 2030. More than half of the immigrant Hispanics lack a high school diploma.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2007/0206/p02s01-legn.html

Were you ever worried about the gap between the rich and the poor? If you can't notice it now, take a look around in 20 years. It will be very apparent by then. The US will be one giant Los Angeles, where you have the very wealthy and then you have everybody else who is trying to scrape by...
This is not encouraging at all. There are people out there that won't take the blinders off and see were we are going to be in 20 years. Do you hope for grand kids what will the world be like!!
The worse part is all we can do is sit here and vent or write our congress and get a automated email back that reads.... we recieved your email. Do not reply to this it is not tracked. Do they ever really read what we write too them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2007, 06:36 PM
 
77 posts, read 441,796 times
Reputation: 45
Call and write (snail mail) your representative and senators as frequently as you can regarding the invasion. Call the Washington numbers and the local numbers which can be found on individual congresspersons websites. Many of us have cell phones with unlimited long distance. Let your voice be heard! And often! If we fail, this country is doomed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2007, 09:44 PM
 
Location: Tennessee
1,459 posts, read 4,040,936 times
Reputation: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by lainie View Post
Call and write (snail mail) your representative and senators as frequently as you can regarding the invasion. Call the Washington numbers and the local numbers which can be found on individual congresspersons websites. Many of us have cell phones with unlimited long distance. Let your voice be heard! And often! If we fail, this country is doomed.

They are very well aware of the problem lainie, the sad part is they don't care. They have already let the problem get out of hand, we have people just as bad for this country as the invasion is...they support it. All in due time it will turn into a war, all in due time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2007, 11:46 PM
 
Location: Tennessee
1,459 posts, read 4,040,936 times
Reputation: 876
These people may hurt our kids, it's not like we don't have enough of these problems already.


http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/ar...TICLE_ID=53683
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2007, 04:08 PM
 
1,156 posts, read 1,874,837 times
Reputation: 317
Default Illegal immigration has already

hurt our kids! First the South American (Columbia) drug cartels
get our kids addicted to cocaine, and now Mexican drug cartels
have upgraded that addiction to the devil's drug, methamphetamine,
a far more addictive and way more more destructive poison to
both the addict and their children. Addiction is a powerful brain
disease and meth addiction is much worse, changing people into
demons and even in the least use it makes them angry 24-7, even
when they seem outwardly ok. No meth user should keep their kids!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2007, 04:55 PM
 
Location: South Bay, California
1,701 posts, read 5,847,515 times
Reputation: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by faith10 View Post
hurt our kids! First the South American (Columbia) drug cartels
get our kids addicted to cocaine, and now Mexican drug cartels
Part of the problem is these kid's inability to say no to drugs.(Common sense) Even though I agree what your saying is very true, an individual has the ability to turn away from drugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2007, 05:00 PM
 
Location: South Bay, California
1,701 posts, read 5,847,515 times
Reputation: 330
Next thread...I had a rough childhood...It must be an Illegal's Fault!

LOL !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2007, 07:48 PM
 
1,156 posts, read 1,874,837 times
Reputation: 317
Default Dusesean1986

Kids did not know in the early 80's that cocaine was addictive and it was not reported as an emerging problem at that time so parents did not know either. Today, kids and adults know the dangers of drugs as they have been popular for years. Still, kids have always tried cigarettes and alcohol, and the ones who normally get addicted to drugs have been those with the genetic predispostion to alcohol/drugs/smoking. The first use will do it. Also, drug dealers have influence over many kids minds today, the devil will come as an angel. Kids are vulnerable/impressionable. Of all the people that try cocaine only 10% of those who use it recreationally every week ever get a serious addiction...genetics. The amount of drug an addicted person uses is not a choice, but part of their genetics. As the top scientists have learned, no one chooses to be a drug addict. The oldest civilizations of the world have the least alcoholism and the newest have the highest such as American Indians and the Irish. The worst drug methamphetamine raises dopamine levels 2700 times above normal, it changes the way the brain works so only 3-5% ever get off of this evil drug. Even a person who could not become addicted to drugs and only likes a drink once a month can easily become addicted to meth. It causes psychosis and takes away the ability to think in positive ways, it also crosses the brain blood barrier and destroys many areas of brain tissue and function. If you want to learn addiction, look on brookhaven national laboratory's website, there is a great treatment that stops all the street drug addictions including tobacco and alcohol by tempering the dopamine system to normal, its' gvg, it gives people their lives back. I have not seen any disease so horrible as drug addiction especially meth. Also PBS frontline has articles on methamphetamine addiction. They want to stop the world's psuedoephedrine labs, and this will stop meth for good.

Last edited by faith10; 02-22-2007 at 07:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2007, 08:32 PM
 
597 posts, read 1,786,042 times
Reputation: 332
I agree, meth is an ENORMOUS problem on a National and International scale. It is MUCH worse than even the crack epidemic of the 1990's. I just saw a documentary on meth and they said that 95% of all US production of meth has ceased and that now almost all of the meth comes exclusively from south of our border. Yet another reason to put troops down there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top