U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 05:38 PM

109 posts, read 188,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildberries61 View Post
I disagree with the Americans will not work 8 hours. Most, of us have to make a living!!
I live where you were lucky to have a job in the winter and our summers were pretty slow and everyone did any job available, too put food on the table.
We have a ski resort coming in and they hired locals at first and now your lucky to get called in for the first interview and these are people qualified for the jobs and speak ENGLISH real well.

Mean while, they have brought in people from Peru and Brazil and in the paper on a write up about the resort they called it adding DIVERSITY to our area.

An again, locals in a town still struggle to make a living but, now that there's work they import people from another country instead of hiring the LEGAL AMERICAN!!
Americans won't work hard for 8 hours?????
I don't know where he is from, the white house I guess!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2007, 05:39 PM

1,900 posts, read 1,711,257 times
Perhaps you did not understand why they hired the foreigners, work ethic.

Some years ago I hired a couple of Mexican guys to hand excavate a foundation for me. One of the Mexicans would fill his wheel barrow and run with it to the dump site. The Contractor, a Mexican American pointed him out to me, laughing he said "that one hasn't been in America very long, he hasn't gotten lazy".

Old 02-07-2007, 05:42 PM

It seems to me you would spend more time trying to tell them what to do and how to do it, than it would take getting it done.

Old 02-07-2007, 05:50 PM

1,900 posts, read 1,711,257 times
Operating from a lack of facts I think. Mexican laborers commonly work under a Mexican American contractor who is bilingual, besides, knowing a bit of Spanish is handy when you are exploiting the down trodden.

And heck, according the chicken littles we are going all have to learn Spanish to exist in America, might as well start.

Old 02-07-2007, 05:58 PM

I learned spainish from my wife, so I speak really good spainish.
There would definately have to be an interperter around, or nothing would ever get done.

Old 02-07-2007, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbasinguide View Post
Operating from a lack of facts I think. Mexican laborers commonly work under a Mexican American contractor who is bilingual, besides, knowing a bit of Spanish is handy when you are exploiting the down trodden.

And heck, according the chicken littles we are going all have to learn Spanish to exist in America, might as well start.
What are you going to do when they replace your job for less pay?
Oh, We both know that doesn't really happen.

Old 02-07-2007, 06:35 PM

10,017 posts, read 16,703,966 times
Quote:

Some years ago I hired a couple of Mexican guys to hand excavate a foundation for me. One of the Mexicans would fill his wheel barrow and run with it to the dump site. The Contractor, a Mexican American pointed him out to me, laughing he said "that one hasn't been in America very long, he hasn't gotten lazy".
Work ethic my rear. I have had work with these people unfortunatly, takes more time for them to get off a break than one of my kids!!! Not to mention having to argue with them to get things done the way they should be done. It isnt the reason they hire them, they hire them because they will work for less.

Old 02-07-2007, 06:37 PM

10,017 posts, read 16,703,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfecttan01 View Post
It seems to me you would spend more time trying to tell them what to do and how to do it, than it would take getting it done.
OMG this is so true, takes twice maybe three times as long just to explain what needs to be done, some will even argue with us about it. My husband has given up sometimes and just put his bags back on and did it himself. Which isnt even his job.

Old 02-07-2007, 06:43 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,714,475 times
Quote:

Yes indeed. Their work ethic is very evident in their home country of Mexico.

Old 02-07-2007, 06:45 PM

1,701 posts, read 5,851,926 times
Americans can work 8 hours of labor intensive work, just as any human being can. If they don't have to because of the physical hardships and low wages, it's enough to step out of the picture. This is where poor, eager illegal immigrants will readily fill the low end job market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration