U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-06-2007, 07:32 PM
 
109 posts, read 188,181 times
Reputation: 99

Advertisements

I will tell you why this statement bothers me.
When I was age 10 my father died, my mother was ill and unable to work, there were 6 children including myself.
The only financial aid there was at that time was low income housing ( a housing project ) and our rent was $23 per month at that time.
I got up every morning and ran a paper route before school, after school I mowed lawns, shoveled walks, collected pop bottles, picked and sold apples, walnuts, and blackberrys, and anything else I could find to do.
I didn't do this for spending money, I did it for my family to survive, sometimes we ate, sometimes we didn't.
By the time I was 15 I had quit school and was working, carrying concrete block, hauling hay, working in tobacco, roofing, and every other hard, nasty job i could find to make money, to support my family.
When I was 18 I joined the military and saved every nickel except what I sent home.
After leaving the military I drove trucks over the road and unloaded the trailers for a few years until I got a loan to buy my farm.
Farm work is hard, it starts at daybreak and ends at dark, I still do it every day, my children and family do also.
Do I regret it? No Would I do it over again? I wouldn't change a thing.
No one can convince me that Americans are afraid of hard work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-07-2007, 12:19 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
1,459 posts, read 4,040,439 times
Reputation: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfecttan01 View Post
I will tell you why this statement bothers me.
When I was age 10 my father died, my mother was ill and unable to work, there were 6 children including myself.
The only financial aid there was at that time was low income housing ( a housing project ) and our rent was $23 per month at that time.
I got up every morning and ran a paper route before school, after school I mowed lawns, shoveled walks, collected pop bottles, picked and sold apples, walnuts, and blackberrys, and anything else I could find to do.
I didn't do this for spending money, I did it for my family to survive, sometimes we ate, sometimes we didn't.
By the time I was 15 I had quit school and was working, carrying concrete block, hauling hay, working in tobacco, roofing, and every other hard, nasty job i could find to make money, to support my family.
When I was 18 I joined the military and saved every nickel except what I sent home.
After leaving the military I drove trucks over the road and unloaded the trailers for a few years until I got a loan to buy my farm.
Farm work is hard, it starts at daybreak and ends at dark, I still do it every day, my children and family do also.
Do I regret it? No Would I do it over again? I wouldn't change a thing.
No one can convince me that Americans are afraid of hard work.

I know exactly what you're saying, when I was 14 yrs old I worked in corn fields all day for .50 an hour. I worked at what ever I could, times were hard you worked or you didn't eat. I was in the trucking business myself, that's not a easy life either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2007, 12:33 AM
 
9,716 posts, read 12,938,315 times
Reputation: 3315
I see Mexicans standing on freeway offramps selling flowers and oranges. Why don't I see others doing this? I see Mexicans pushing ice cream carts down the street in the middle of summer when it's 100 degrees out. Why don't I see others doing this? When I used to work in an office, we had an old Mexican man who used to buy fresh fruit and veggies, package it bags and sell it for $1 or $2 a bag to the people who worked in the offices who wanted healthy snacks. He used to push a little cart around with all these bags hanging off it. Why don't I see others doing this job?

These are not exclusive jobs. I'd bet your kids could even do them if they had the desire to make some money. I see a lot of immigrants doing these "make your own job" jobs... Why don't the others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2007, 01:47 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
1,459 posts, read 4,040,439 times
Reputation: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
I see Mexicans standing on freeway offramps selling flowers and oranges. Why don't I see others doing this? I see Mexicans pushing ice cream carts down the street in the middle of summer when it's 100 degrees out. Why don't I see others doing this? When I used to work in an office, we had an old Mexican man who used to buy fresh fruit and veggies, package it bags and sell it for $1 or $2 a bag to the people who worked in the offices who wanted healthy snacks. He used to push a little cart around with all these bags hanging off it. Why don't I see others doing this job?

These are not exclusive jobs. I'd bet your kids could even do them if they had the desire to make some money. I see a lot of immigrants doing these "make your own job" jobs... Why don't the others?

Maybe you're not looking in the right places, I see people selling flowers all the time, pushing Hot Dog carts etc. People stand in the median at highway intersections and sell Roses, sell flowers beside the roadways. All kinds of little veggie stands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2007, 06:26 AM
 
Location: Colorado
10,017 posts, read 16,690,837 times
Reputation: 2086
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
I see Mexicans standing on freeway offramps selling flowers and oranges. Why don't I see others doing this? I see Mexicans pushing ice cream carts down the street in the middle of summer when it's 100 degrees out. Why don't I see others doing this? When I used to work in an office, we had an old Mexican man who used to buy fresh fruit and veggies, package it bags and sell it for $1 or $2 a bag to the people who worked in the offices who wanted healthy snacks. He used to push a little cart around with all these bags hanging off it. Why don't I see others doing this job?

These are not exclusive jobs. I'd bet your kids could even do them if they had the desire to make some money. I see a lot of immigrants doing these "make your own job" jobs... Why don't the others?
I have actually seen alot of people doing those things that are white and African american, not just hispanic. My kids dont do those things, they have a lawn mowing business, dog poo picking up business and a dog walking business. My daughter sell lemonaide as well. I pulled spuds and picked corn and helped my Uncle herd sheep and picked strawberries for 2.00 a pallett for two summers until I was told I was no longer needed, they got cheaper laborer. I am a woman and i even did framing with our business. I dont want to hear that Americans wont do the work crap. Not all of us are lazy and greedy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2007, 07:19 AM
 
109 posts, read 188,181 times
Reputation: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfecttan01 View Post
I will tell you why this statement bothers me.
When I was age 10 my father died, my mother was ill and unable to work, there were 6 children including myself.
The only financial aid there was at that time was low income housing ( a housing project ) and our rent was $23 per month at that time.
I got up every morning and ran a paper route before school, after school I mowed lawns, shoveled walks, collected pop bottles, picked and sold apples, walnuts, and blackberrys, and anything else I could find to do.
I didn't do this for spending money, I did it for my family to survive, sometimes we ate, sometimes we didn't.
By the time I was 15 I had quit school and was working, carrying concrete block, hauling hay, working in tobacco, roofing, and every other hard, nasty job i could find to make money, to support my family.
When I was 18 I joined the military and saved every nickel except what I sent home.
After leaving the military I drove trucks over the road and unloaded the trailers for a few years until I got a loan to buy my farm.
Farm work is hard, it starts at daybreak and ends at dark, I still do it every day, my children and family do also.
Do I regret it? No Would I do it over again? I wouldn't change a thing.
No one can convince me that Americans are afraid of hard work.
I see people sitting on the side of the road selling fruit and vegetables every where I go.
Flea markets are in every town, it's the same thing only in a controlled, legal enviroment.
I see people on roads with signs( will work for food ) are they scamming, possibly sometimes, but not usually,I have gave several a days work and they were glad to get it.
Give me a break!!!

OOPS, Sorry this was a reply for UB50, it's still early.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2007, 07:49 AM
 
Location: Midwest
6,739 posts, read 8,539,903 times
Reputation: 16512
If they are illegal, they are breaking the law, it's plain and simple. Get it now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2007, 08:46 AM
 
1,393 posts, read 869,178 times
Reputation: 462
UB50, Not sure where you live but, in my town that is how most of us survive by doing the jobs you mentioned and I see kids doing these also.

But, I think are children are being raised with the notion that they don't need to do hard work let somebody else do it. We are raising are kids soft by supplying them with games and things that are teaching them to be by their selves. How many kids do all of you know that actually know what the word CHORES mean?
For the most I think Americans are to worried about their status in life rather then,productive in life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2007, 08:51 AM
 
109 posts, read 188,181 times
Reputation: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildberries61 View Post
UB50, Not sure where you live but, in my town that is how most of us survive by doing the jobs you mentioned and I see kids doing these also.

But, I think are children are being raised with the notion that they don't need to do hard work let somebody else do it. We are raising are kids soft by supplying them with games and things that are teaching them to be by their selves. How many kids do all of you know that actually know what the word CHORES mean?
For the most I think Americans are to worried about their status in life rather then,productive in life.
My children work every day after school and on weekends, even the youngest.
The older ones if they don't work they don't get gas money to drive, the younger loses their allowance.
I have never had a problem, start them when they are young, it becomes a way of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2007, 09:01 AM
 
Location: Colorado
10,017 posts, read 16,690,837 times
Reputation: 2086
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildberries61 View Post
UB50, Not sure where you live but, in my town that is how most of us survive by doing the jobs you mentioned and I see kids doing these also.

But, I think are children are being raised with the notion that they don't need to do hard work let somebody else do it. We are raising are kids soft by supplying them with games and things that are teaching them to be by their selves. How many kids do all of you know that actually know what the word CHORES mean?
For the most I think Americans are to worried about their status in life rather then,productive in life.
Mine know what chores are. They had to earn their own money for their game system and games. I wasnt going to just give it to them. My oldest had to work for his car, gas and insurance. My others will have to do the same. I never had things just handed to me, I had to bust my butt for everything I have, so will my kids. My oldest is paying for his own college tuition. Of course he had to choose a 68,000.00 dollar for three year school. but that just means he has had to work harder, get his own loans and bust his butt. He lives on his own as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top