U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-16-2008, 07:23 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,610,630 times
Reputation: 2983

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
I was also wondering to myself how long until some flipped it back to illegal immigration. I predicted that, and no lie, I predicted Macmeal's "genital mutilation" comment(I think its his favorite argument).
Hardly my "favorite" argument..however, it IS a time-honored custom in Ethiopia and vicinity, it DOES occur in significant numbers, and it's CERTAINLY a matter of "culture". I merely pointed out that it's on us, here, to welcome the "good" from other places, while keeping out the "bad"...and if we can't differentiate, or WON'T, then "shame on us".

AS for "predictability", yes, there are a few of us on here who DO get predictable...and I'm writing to ONE of them now. Sorry if my 'predictable' positions 'rankle'....but I'm addressing some pretty predictable folks here, amc. Not a lot of room here for much creativity, I'm afraid...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-16-2008, 07:39 PM
 
Location: California
3,172 posts, read 5,993,791 times
Reputation: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Hardly my "favorite" argument..however, it IS a time-honored custom in Ethiopia and vicinity, it DOES occur in significant numbers, and it's CERTAINLY a matter of "culture". I merely pointed out that it's on us, here, to welcome the "good" from other places, while keeping out the "bad"...and if we can't differentiate, or WON'T, then "shame on us".

AS for "predictability", yes, there are a few of us on here who DO get predictable...and I'm writing to ONE of them now. Sorry if my 'predictable' positions 'rankle'....but I'm addressing some pretty predictable folks here, amc. Not a lot of room here for much creativity, I'm afraid...
you call it predictability, I call it consistency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2008, 07:46 PM
 
Location: Wilmington, NC
8,575 posts, read 6,084,465 times
Reputation: 835
this is just a celebration of people having a good time. I embrace it. I like culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2008, 07:48 PM
 
Location: California
3,172 posts, read 5,993,791 times
Reputation: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
this is just a celebration of people having a good time. I embrace it. I like culture.
Despite the buzzkills, I'm glad so many different people have immigrated here. We're richer, and better off because of it as a country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2008, 07:48 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,610,630 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
you call it predictability, I call it consistency.
Fair enough. And I'm CONSISTENTLY against female genital mutilation...right down the line..ALWAYS. And I refuse to feel this makes me a hypocrite, "even though I allowed MY daughter to get her ears pierced". Sorry, but I see that as different.

The government of Canada apparently agrees with me. A few years back, they decided on a precedent-setting case in which a girl (I THINK from Somalia) was actually GRANTED ASYLUM in Canada..not because of 'persecution' or anything NORMALLY heard in asylum cases...but because, it was proven that, If she was returned to Somalia, she faced the certainty that the 'elders' in her family would force her to undergo genital mutilation....apparently, because they saw it as "the right thing to do".

Canada disagreed, and the girl was granted asylum. You may call ME a 'predictable grouch', but I'd like to hear you criticize those Canadians!...that country is just plain "nice"...yet even THEY draw the line somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2008, 07:51 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,610,630 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
this is just a celebration of people having a good time. I embrace it. I like culture.
I agree with you, mostly. I embrace most things, and I like most attributes of most cultures. I'm not yet at the point, though, that I like ALL aspects of ALL cultures. For now, I'm stuck at "most".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2008, 07:54 PM
 
1,818 posts, read 2,733,980 times
Reputation: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Just a small break from the negativity, lets try a positive post about immigrants.

Came across this post in the LA forum, by kingofhehill. Photos from a parade in Little Ethiopia to celebrate the Ethiopian new year.

Density, food & culture on the cheap: Little Ethiopia



You should check out the LA forum for Kingofthehill's photo threads. I love his/her photography, it does a lot to capture the diversity that I love, in the "cesspool"(according to some of you) that is LA.
Thanks AMC, the pictures were beautiful, I could not find the "cesspool" could you point it out, lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2008, 08:05 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,610,630 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Despite the buzzkills, I'm glad so many different people have immigrated here. We're richer, and better off because of it as a country.
Agreed..and the reason it's (so far) WORKED so beautifully...and that the many diverse groups who do come here get ALONG so well, instead of murdering each other like they MIGHT have been 'inclined' to in their former homes...is because of our unique society, formed in a framework of LAWS. When these diverse folks assimilate, and begin to understand that "the law" now takes precedence over their FORMER loyalties to 'tribe', 'clan', and 'sect', they begin to form a well-functioning society.

Our society is held together ONLY by laws, and not much else. Ignore or 'dismiss' the importance of THAT, and you've got trouble. Do away with our 'system', and it's 'back to the Third World' ....fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2008, 08:07 PM
 
Location: Arizona
2,065 posts, read 3,173,411 times
Reputation: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Agreed..and the reason it's (so far) WORKED so beautifully...and that the many diverse groups who do come here get ALONG so well, instead of murdering each other like they MIGHT have been 'inclined' to in their former homes...is because of our unique society, formed in a framework of LAWS. When these diverse folks assimilate, and begin to understand that "the law" now takes precedence over their FORMER loyalties to 'tribe', 'clan', and 'sect', they begin to form a well-functioning society.

Our society is held together ONLY by laws, and not much else. Ignore or 'dismiss' the importance of THAT, and you've got trouble. Do away with our 'system', and it's 'back to the Third World' ....fast.
Wise words of warning that NEED to be HEEDED...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2008, 08:08 PM
 
Location: California
3,172 posts, read 5,993,791 times
Reputation: 332
Speaking of ethnic celebrations, Happy Mexican Independence Day!
I wish I could of missed work and school to check out some of the celebrations. Oh well. Next year.




Gotta let out the grito.

ayyyyyyyyy ha ha ha hayyeeeeee!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top