U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 07:21 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Hmmm.......Hispanics vs. "our" Black people. hmmmmm..
As I stated: will our American 'Hispanics'; I am referring to those who are 'fence sitters' either swear off supporting Mexico, etc. or become a de facto Fifth Column?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 07:56 AM

3,325 posts, read 4,692,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Agreed. What angers me is the perpetual pandering and lying as if those here illegally deserve to be rewarded for successfully eluding border patrol. Until the mixed signals stop and the laws are uniformly enforced, American lives will continue to be snuffed out.

The tax dollars squandered in this game of cat and mouse will continue to diminish the tax dollars that should be used in revitalizing our economy.

Yes that's true I wonder how border guard's must feel.
Knowing that their own gvmt does not support nor back them up. Why even risk your neck .

Old 09-18-2008, 08:33 AM

7,020 posts, read 9,894,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiso View Post
Knowing that their own gvmt does not support nor back them up. Why even risk your neck .
Agreed. It is a disgrace that the treasonous behavior is on every single level of this administration. Sadly, no matter who is "selected" POTUS, since both are OBL's I seriously doubt things will be any better. America is gasping for breath on every single level.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:18 PM

1,818 posts, read 2,733,980 times
Quote:
There have been border patrol officers that have in fact helped the Illegal Aliens, God Bless them.

Old 09-19-2008, 04:56 PM

3,172 posts, read 5,993,791 times
Quote:
Because you get a fat paycheck with benefits.
People work for the Border Patrol to make a good living.

Old 09-19-2008, 05:44 PM

5,321 posts, read 10,580,811 times
Quote:
Because you get a fat paycheck with benefits.
People work for the Border Patrol to make a good living.
No they don't. The pay isn't all that great for all the crap they have to put up with...being shot at and NOT allowed to shoot back in defense. They must verbally warn the person at least 3 times BEFORE they even attempt to return fire...yes, while being shot at.

I took the Border Patrol test and passed, and came very close to joining up until I got a reality check from Border Patrol agents working out of San Diego. They would tell you stories that would make you flip.

Go look up the beginning pay for Border Patrol Agents. They don't do it for the pay just like cops don't join the police force for the pay. Yeah, it's a steady gig, but when you factor in all the crapola they put up with, putting their lives on the line every day, and working for a system that punishes them for and prevents them from upholding the very laws they were hired to defend, then yeah.....they are way UNDERPAID.

Do your research already.

Old 09-19-2008, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
No they don't. The pay isn't all that great for all the crap they have to put up with...being shot at and NOT allowed to shoot back in defense. They must verbally warn the person at least 3 times BEFORE they even attempt to return fire...yes, while being shot at.

I took the Border Patrol test and passed, and came very close to joining up until I got a reality check from Border Patrol agents working out of San Diego. They would tell you stories that would make you flip.

Go look up the beginning pay for Border Patrol Agents. They don't do it for the pay just like cops don't join the police force for the pay. Yeah, it's a steady gig, but when you factor in all the crapola they put up with, putting their lives on the line every day, and working for a system that punishes them for and prevents them from upholding the very laws they were hired to defend, then yeah.....they are way UNDERPAID.

Do your research already.
Don't make assumptions. I know people in the BP.
Everything you mentioned goes with the territory of being a cop.

Do your own research and find how much a cop in NYC makes and do a comparison with cost of living and with the crap they have to put up with.

They don't start off with much, but they get steadily get pay increases, and have a lot of opportunity for overtime.

The people I have spoken enjoy the work, even when it gets boring at times.
Its good work for people who don't have a college degree.

Old 09-19-2008, 06:07 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times
Quote:

Do your own research and find how much a cop in NYC makes and do a comparison with cost of living and with the crap they have to put up with.

They don't start off with much, but they get steadily get pay increases, and have a lot of opportunity for overtime.

More and more LE agencies are now demanding college degrees prior to the academy.

Old 09-19-2008, 06:21 PM

5,321 posts, read 10,580,811 times
Quote:

We're not talking about the payscales of NYC cops. You said border patrol agents don't mind that their govt doesn't back them up because they get big, fat paychecks.

Those big "fat paychecks" aren't enough to lure people with all the crap that comes with the territory, be it cops or bp. There is usually some other motivating factor.

Many people believe in the cause that they're joining. They not only want a paycheck but they want to be a part of something bigger than themselves and they believe in that cause and feel they can make a difference, be it clearing the streets of crime or protecting our borders. It doesn't do much for morale when your own bosses, admin, whoever work against the system. Big "fat paychecks" can't compensate for the morale decline when you don't have the backing behind the principles.

Not all BPs or cops, law enforcement are bereft of higher education. In fact, it's increasingly becoming a requirement.

Have a nice weekend.

Old 09-19-2008, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
We're not talking about the payscales of NYC cops. You said border patrol agents don't mind that their govt doesn't back them up because they get big, fat paychecks.

Those big "fat paychecks" aren't enough to lure people with all the crap that comes with the territory, be it cops or bp. There is usually some other motivating factor.

Many people believe in the cause that they're joining. They not only want a paycheck but they want to be a part of something bigger than themselves and they believe in that cause and feel they can make a difference, be it clearing the streets of crime or protecting our borders. It doesn't do much for morale when your own bosses, admin, whoever work against the system. Big "fat paychecks" can't compensate for the morale decline when you don't have the backing behind the principles.

Not all BPs or cops, law enforcement are bereft of higher education. In fact, it's increasingly becoming a requirement.

Have a nice weekend.

Sounds like a good movie.

There are plenty of people in the BP that believe in what they are doing, I'd even say most of them. But they are there to make an honest living, not purely out of ideals.

What you are describing is a Minuteman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or