U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 08:04 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
What exactly would we need to protect the borders from if legal immigration were easy and people were actually able and incentivized to go through proper channels?
I donít know how we could possibly be more generous. Should we leave our borders open until every miscreant from Mexico has entered? How on earth would that benefit this country? And, protecting our borders from foreign invasions should be a priority.

Would you have the same opinion if most of the illegals were coming from Haiti? I doubt it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 11:47 AM

1,574 posts, read 789,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Because there will always be people who think the grass is greener on the other side of the fence

The United States allows more immigration than all the other countries in the world combined....

If the immigration policy is too difficult in some peoples minds then maybe they need to go back to school.....

Incentivised??? I guess the government handouts aren't enough in some peoples minds....

Immigration into America is not a god given right, it's a privilege...........
None of this addresses my question.

Old 07-30-2011, 06:03 PM

738 posts, read 928,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
If your concern is SECURITY then it doesn't matter if the "invasion" is "massive" or not. The terrorists are sneaking millions in, just a handful, right?

The technique of "terrorists might do X, let's implement counter technique Y" is a huge moneyhole because the terrorists aren't dumb, they will just adjust. If they were in fact planning on sneaking in over the mexican border, and this wall gets built (and actually works, which is lol doubtful), then all they have to do is sneak over the canadian border. The fact that you can't anticipate this tells me that you haven't really thought about it for more than 10 seconds, which is almost certainly due to the fact that security is not your actual reason for wanting the wall. You want it for another reason, but you think yelling TERRORISTS! SECURITY! will sound better than whatever your real reason is.

Crime, costs of illegals to taxpayers,lack of jobs. If they stop a terrorist that is an added bonus.

The wall can pay for itself. All entry/exit points would be a $5 toll. Trucks would be much higher as it is on turnpikes.

Due to Mexicans failure to assimilate I would cancel legal immigration from Mexico for a generation. Ask the head of any European country how their doing due to lack of assimilation. In the past we have stopped immigration from other countries for this.

Old 07-30-2011, 08:52 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,011,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodipper View Post
...Due to Mexicans failure to assimilate I would cancel legal immigration from Mexico for a generation. Ask the head of any European country how their doing due to lack of assimilation. In the past we have stopped immigration from other countries for this.
Source?

Old 07-30-2011, 09:31 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Source?
Uh, I think enough evidence has been presented that "many" Mexicans and other Latinos regardless of their status in this country do not ever fully assimilate in this country. I live in Calif. so I see it day in and day out.

Old 07-30-2011, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Uh, I think enough evidence has been presented that "many" Mexicans and other Latinos regardless of their status in this country do not ever fully assimilate in this country. I live in Calif. so I see it day in and day out.
I see four day in and day out that have assimilated very well...

But I was asking for a source on a statement that the United States has blocked past immigration from specific countries based on a failure of its nationals to assimilate...

Old 07-31-2011, 07:47 AM

Quote:
I see four day in and day out that have assimilated very well...

But I was asking for a source on a statement that the United States has blocked past immigration from specific countries based on a failure of its nationals to assimilate...
Uh no, you were replying to the poster that said that "he" would block any legal immigration from Mexico because of their non-assimilation factor. He made no claims that the U.S. has blocked any countries from legal immigration in the past based on non-assimilation. Go back and read the post you were replying to for clarity.

Depends on what you mean by assimilation. We probably have a different opinion on what assimilation is.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Uh no, you were replying to the poster that said that "he" would block any legal immigration from Mexico because of their non-assimilation factor. He made no claims that the U.S. has blocked any countries from legal immigration in the past based on non-assimilation. Go back and read the post you were replying to for clarity...
Quote:
...In the past we have stopped immigration from other countries for this.

Quote:
...Depends on what you mean by assimilation. We probably have a different opinion on what assimilation is.

You have a differing opinion on which sentence or section of an article I am even replying to in my own post! Then you tell me I have a reading comprehension problem because my post differed from what you thought it would be! Finally, you tell me I define a word differently despite an example of its usage!

I now return to asking the poster of the comment to source when and where the United States blocked immigration from specific countries, specifically because those nationalities did not assimilate in the United States...

Old 07-31-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:

You have a differing opinion on which sentence or section of an article I am even replying to in my own post! Then you tell me I have a reading comprehension problem because my post differed from what you thought it would be! Finally, you tell me I define a word differently despite an example of its usage!

I now return to asking the poster of the comment to source when and where the United States blocked immigration from specific countries, specifically because those nationalities did not assimilate in the United States...
My apoligies. I mis-read. I thought the poster was talking about Europe since he mentioned Europe also. He was probably referring to the Japanese and other Asians who were discriminated against for legal immigration at one time.

IMO, part of assimilating is learning and using our language as one's primarly language of usage, especially out in mainstream. Do you agree with that? I'll bet you don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or