U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 03:15 PM

7,020 posts, read 9,898,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
I have to agree with you.

All I want, all I've ever asked for is that our government protect and respect those who put them in office--the American citizens. I want our current immigration laws enforced (they are quite adequate if implemented) our borders secured and lawbreakers sent home. That isn't too much to ask from one's government.

At the same time, I take issue with many who wish to make this a cultural issue. While varying cultural ideals are involved in the evolution of the problem of illegal immigration, they are not the sum and total of the problem. It is not the inadequacy of any culture which contributes to this problem. To assume that anyone's culture is inferior to our own smacks of ethnocentrism and although I will be the first to admit that I do not understand the mechanics of various cultures, I try not to be judgemental unless said mechanics involve child abuse, blatant misogyny, or genocide.

Cultural enrichment by legal immigrants is a part of what makes America the phenomenon that it is--what other country has achieved the heights we've reached after a mere 200 years of existence? At the same time, part of the greatness of this country is the fact that in the history of America the law has been the cornerstone of the foundational beliefs in this country and our ability to evolve and change those laws for the betterment of ALL people through reasoning sets us apart from many other countries. When the populace, legal or illegal, is allowed to pick and choose the laws that it will and will not obey at will, anarchy must become the eventual outcome.

No one should advocate the destruction of another's culture--especially if that culture is contained within its own borders (above mechanics not withstanding). I daresay that there are very few people on this forum who are advocating the destruction of Mexican culture (or any other culture) within that country's own borders, nor should the contributions that legal Mexican immigrants (as well as Irish, Norwegian, German, Ethiopian, Asian, etc.) have made to this country be discounted or disregarded.

My contention with this issue is multifaceted, but my biggest concern is the lack of respect for American law and American sovereignty which is flagrant among illegal immigrants and their supporters. The enormous amount of justification and apologist behavior for illegal immigration that I see on this board as well as in this country is absolutely appalling and therein lies the heart of the controvery for me.
Well stated and ITA. Great post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 04:24 PM

25,107 posts, read 34,371,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chey2u View Post
Not always, I have been told otherwise
You were told wrong

Old 09-28-2008, 08:29 PM

391 posts, read 740,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
You were told wrong
sorry my source was an eye witness but I will not belabor this point you think your op i think mine

Old 09-28-2008, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Better our Border Patrol vs. the Mexican version----------------apparently Guatemalans tend to 'disappear' if caught illegally in Mexico.
I am unaware of this and your meaning? They go back to their country or are killed? I have never been told of this by any of my friends or family. they move about freely.

Old 09-28-2008, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
As do I. That is for US citizens and legal residents first and always. Illegals need not apply and we really don't owe any other country a dime in aid.
On this I completely agree

Old 09-28-2008, 08:50 PM

211 posts, read 465,016 times
Omg, what a great idea. He would be perfect!!!!
I say we start a campain for him.
I VOTE FOR JOE.

Old 10-02-2008, 02:35 PM

11,469 posts, read 8,138,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennel View Post
Omg, what a great idea. He would be perfect!!!!
I say we start a campain for him.
I VOTE FOR JOE.

I can se Mexico's President comming here preaching illegal immigration..Arpaio would have him locked up! LOL

Old 10-02-2008, 02:50 PM

9,308 posts, read 25,668,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
I can se Mexico's President comming here preaching illegal immigration..Arpaio would have him locked up! LOL
Makes sense to me, ELO . . . sounds like promoting, encouraging and possibly even financially backing an illegal act.

Old 10-02-2008, 05:46 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Giggle; snort, ROFLMAO!

Hell; Hugo Chavez (that pompous ass who is the president of Venezuela) would likely get busted by Sheriff Joe.

(assuming Calderon and Chavez are outside of the UN and/or their respective US embassies)

Old 12-07-2008, 04:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,060 times
sheriff joe should be director of homeland security because he nows whats best for us . . . ya he made so bad choices,HEY he is human isnt he!!!! we all make mistakes he will stop our problem on drugs and illeagal immagrents!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration