Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 10:14 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,324,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlat2 View Post
you know i never see any questions or comments on those type of iniatives/ballots asking about what the effect is on all the english speaking american kids. It's always about the esl kids. Having to find bilingual teachers i would think would be hard to do. Does it slow down the rest of the class having to teach in two languages? I would think it would. My old company did our company meetings both in english and spanish, and it took so long. I bet they would all be learning faster if only taught in english. Why doesn't anyone ever take into account the effects on all the other kids education?
Not only that but if they need funding for ESL, the $$ has to come from somewhere. More ESL teachers and accomodations means less of other classes, teachers, etc. for English speaking children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 10:19 AM

1,181 posts, read 3,806,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
Not only that but if they need funding for ESL, the $$ has to come from somewhere. More ESL teachers and accomodations means less of other classes, teachers, etc. for English speaking children.
My daughter's school is using books that are falling apart. The teacher told us because of budget cuts they can't buy new ones for a year. But hey, the ESL classes are all funded first I'm sure. Arg.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:25 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,555,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlaT2 View Post
You know I never see any questions or comments on those type of iniatives/ballots asking about what the effect is on all the English speaking American kids. It's always about the ESL kids. Having to find bilingual teachers I would think would be hard to do. Does it slow down the rest of the class having to teach in two languages? I would think it would. My old company did our company meetings both in English and Spanish, and it took so long. I bet they would all be learning faster if only taught in English. Why doesn't anyone ever take into account the effects on all the other kids education?
Sadly, our children are suffering in favor of Spanish-speaking children -- including those with no legal right to even be here. I was shocked to read the majority of anchor babies are still in need of ESL classes even at the high school level. How’s that for assimilation?

Old 09-23-2008, 10:52 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,603,062 times
Quote:
We have NEVER had signage in other languages in stores
I take it you have never been to Little Italy, China Town...etc...Try not to use all encompassing words like Never...especially when you know it is not true...

Old 09-23-2008, 11:25 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,603,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
My grandfather emigrated from Prague at the turn of the last century (around 1901). There was no bilingual education. In fact, here is how he learned English --- His father told him and his four sisters that they had a choice. Learn English by speaking only English at home and at school or get a beating. They learned English and were fluent, as was my great grandfather in short order. I wonder how many newer immigrants have a similiar (though hopefully less painful) commitment to learning english as my great grandfather had?
The implementation of Bilingual Education in the USA goes through cycles...It is possible that your grandfather went to school when there was a backlash against Bilingual Education...Around 1901 there was a backlash against Bilingual Education in Arizona...

Old 09-23-2008, 11:27 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,555,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
I take it you have never been to Little Italy, China Town...etc...Try not to use all encompassing words like Never...especially when you know it is not true...
I was NOT referring to ethnic enclaves displaying foreign language signage, and you know it. They always have, and always will. I was referring to major department stores, hospitals, etc. Is that the best you can do? If so, save it.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:08 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,405,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I was NOT referring to ethnic enclaves displaying foreign language signage, and you know it. They always have, and always will. I was referring to major department stores, hospitals, etc. Is that the best you can do? If so, save it.
Agreed. The members of the spanish speaking enclaves seem to be oblivious to the reality that they are THE ONLY POPULATION in the history of this nation to be considered too ignorant and illiterate to learn English. This fact has resulted in spanish being crammed down the throats of every single aspect of America's culture, educational systems and business transactions. Every other immigrant population (including OTM illegals) have been credited with having the intelligence and ability to assimilate and adapt to American society and learn English. I find it strange they don't have enough sense to see what corporate America really thinks of them.

Last edited by JDubsMom; 09-23-2008 at 12:16 PM..

Old 09-23-2008, 12:18 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,634,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
The implementation of Bilingual Education in the USA goes through cycles...It is possible that your grandfather went to school when there was a backlash against Bilingual Education...Around 1901 there was a backlash against Bilingual Education in Arizona...
If there was a catholic school within ten miles, that would have been the school he would have been sent to. And I'm here to tell you, nuns don't f*** around
But the real point of my grandfathers story, is that his father took a hardline approach to learn English. Not for educations sake, my grandfather had to quit school after 8th grade to go to work, but because my great grandfather put a high price on the ability to assimiliate and become an American. In fact, that is what he said (during the beatings ) You are an american now --speak english!!
OK, so I am not saying for all immigrants to beat their kids.....but I am saying that the ideal of assimilation should be higher then the teaching their children an idealized version of whatever culture and country they left behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration