U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-22-2008, 12:53 PM
 
Location: California
3,172 posts, read 5,995,777 times
Reputation: 332

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
ROFL! That's the $64,000 question, now isn't it? If American citizens were stranded in Mexico after a hurricane, do you suppose we would just leave them sitting there waiting for the Mexican government to take care of them? Didn't Calderon tell us that wherever there was a Mexican, there was Mexico? I guess that does not apply when they need financial assistance.
If American citizens were stranded in any country, do you think the United States government would go over to help them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-22-2008, 01:02 PM
 
3,859 posts, read 9,172,225 times
Reputation: 2728
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
If American citizens were stranded in any country, do you think the United States government would go over to help them?
Yes as a matter of fact they would and did. The US did just that in Lebanon in 2006 after the attacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2008, 01:11 PM
 
Location: California
3,172 posts, read 5,995,777 times
Reputation: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
Yes as a matter of fact they would and did. The US did just that in Lebanon in 2006 after the attacks.
What about the Tsunami's in Southeast Asia?

Most countries will save anybody they can in a natural disaster, regardless of where they are from.
I dont think they bring up the question of illegal immigrants.

Natural disasters are the kind of event that shows humanity. Man helping Man to survive.

It says a lot when someone gones, "..but are they legal?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2008, 01:11 PM
 
3,712 posts, read 5,710,869 times
Reputation: 1285
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
If American citizens were stranded in any country, do you think the United States government would go over to help them?
Yes, I believe our government would help them. That is part of the reason we have US Embassies abroad. No one can say that there are not enough Mexican Consulates here in the US. Mexico should be capable of helping it's own citizens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2008, 01:14 PM
 
3,859 posts, read 9,172,225 times
Reputation: 2728
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
Yes, I believe our government would help them. That is part of the reason we have US Embassies abroad. No one can say that there are not enough Mexican Consulates here in the US. Mexico should be capable of helping it's own citizens.

You got that right- it seems like they are building more and more Mexican Consulates here all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2008, 01:16 PM
 
Location: California
3,172 posts, read 5,995,777 times
Reputation: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
You got that right- it seems like they are building more and more Mexican Consulates here all the time.
And?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2008, 01:21 PM
 
3,712 posts, read 5,710,869 times
Reputation: 1285
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
What about the Tsunami's in Southeast Asia?

Most countries will save anybody they can in a natural disaster, regardless of where they are from.
I dont think they bring up the question of illegal immigrants.

Natural disasters are the kind of event that shows humanity. Man helping Man to survive.

It says a lot when someone gones, "..but are they legal?"
I am not talking about the 'getting people out of a burning house' type of assistance. In the immediate aftermath of a disaster any country will get everyone they can out and to safety, irrespective of where they are from. I am talking about long term disaster assistance. If people are in the US illegally and lose everything, why should they be given US taxpayer funds to rebuild their illegal 'life in the US'?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2008, 01:25 PM
 
3,859 posts, read 9,172,225 times
Reputation: 2728
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
And?
How many are needed?

If they have Mexican consulates here-why don't the Mexican illegal aliens who need assistance from the hurricane go to those consulates for aid. Afterall-they would be "safe" from deportation there and then their own government could foot the bill for it's citizens for a change. The Mexican government could provide them aid and then send them home to Mexico. Why the hell should American taxpayers have to pay for those here illegally again and again?


How many American consulates are in Mexico-does anyone know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2008, 01:31 PM
 
Location: um....guess
10,479 posts, read 13,508,599 times
Reputation: 1825
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
How many are needed?

If they have Mexican consulates here-why don't the Mexican illegal aliens who need assistance from the hurricane go to those consulates for aid. Afterall-they would be "safe" from deportation there and then their own government could foot the bill for it's citizens for a change. The Mexican government could provide them aid and then send them home to Mexico. Why the hell should American taxpayers have to pay for those here illegally again and again?


How many American consulates are in Mexico-does anyone know?
12 I believe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2008, 01:31 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
I am not talking about the 'getting people out of a burning house' type of assistance. In the immediate aftermath of a disaster any country will get everyone they can out and to safety, irrespective of where they are from. I am talking about long term disaster assistance. If people are in the US illegally and lose everything, why should they be given US taxpayer funds to rebuild their illegal 'life in the US'?
That’s an excellent question. Why should our tax dollars be used to assist people who shouldn’t be here? They are now out of harm’s way, and should be deported. If they lost everything, so be it. They had nothing when they illegally entered this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top