Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 07:23 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,467,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
Just like the latino gang members in LA. .
The treatment and possible deportation of gangmembers is completely different from hard working illegal immigrants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2007, 08:36 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,477,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsluvr8 View Post
Education is not offered as an 'incentive' to anyone. Education is an essential part of improving a person's life and his/her standing in their community. Education is seen in the U.S. as a right, and that right cannot be denied to any child. Do the school-aged illegals earn the title of child? If so, which I think they do, then they deserve to be educated.

The U.S. is a very charitable country that sends out aid and support all over the world. Surely the U.S. can educate these children! Granted, their parents have brought them here illegally...but a child doesn't have any option but to go with his parents. The parents of many of them made a risky and desperate move in an attempt for a better life and better education for their children. I would expect that when I was a child, my parents would have done anything and everything for me...including breaking the law in a desperate, hopeless situation like many illegal immigrants leave behind. Most parents would go to any lengths for their children, so I can't really find any fault in the parents and definitely not in the children.

I would rather see these kids educated, therefore having a better chance to contribute to OUR society. Attending school also helps them assimilate to our culture... and I know a lot of critics talk about the lack of desire to learn about U.S. culture. Let's educate these children!!!!!
So if the entire 100 million citizens of Mexico decide to illegally enter the US in search of a 'better life', would this be OK with you? What do you think the effects of this would be on the US?

Old 02-14-2007, 01:19 PM

702 posts, read 2,525,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
So if the entire 100 million citizens of Mexico decide to illegally enter the US in search of a 'better life', would this be OK with you? What do you think the effects of this would be on the US?
I am not promoting illegal immigration, nor am I in favor of opening the U.S. borders in the way you mention above. What I was suggesting is that we take care of PEOPLE (yes they are people like we are) who are presently in our country and make sure they are educated.

What if 50,000 U.S. citizens suddenly moved into my school district? It could happen in todays volatile world, and has happened in other countries where citizens have to flee their homes to escape war or famine. Since public schools are not allowed to place a "no vacancy" sign out front and close their doors, we would find a way to accomodate everyone. Period. Illegal or legal, if they are school-aged, in our country, and asking for an education then let's provide it. Continuing to allow illegals into the U.S. is another subject...

Old 02-14-2007, 01:34 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,670,703 times
They are just going to keep coming, because the government wont stop them and some people wont see that if we keep giving things away, they will just keep coming in. There are almost NO penalties for coming here illegally. So we provide education, loans, medical care, WIC, either not paying taxes or paying so little it doesnt matter. What incentive do they have to be legal? What will make them stop. It is called getting tough, not being so nice. Nice is not working in our favor people, when you kid is so spoiled it keeps demanding more from you, do you keep giving it, or cut him/her off? me cut them off, let them see how really hard it is.

Old 02-14-2007, 02:08 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,801,889 times
These are the types of problems that lead to civil unrest. We can't have uncontrolled immigration. We already have a widening gap between the top and bottom quintiles. There are not enough people in the top 20% to support those in the bottom 20%. Even the second quintile depending on family size is not far from poverty level for a family in many locations in the US. Even if the top 40% were heavily taxed they couldn't meet all the needs of those in the bottom 40%.

A high tax burden would be a gaurantee to slow our economy. Who loses out the most. Those in the bottom two quintiles (40%). Higher taxes would also lead to greater incentives for those in labor intesive business to hire illegal immigrants to reduce their operating costs.

Old 02-14-2007, 02:11 PM

I'm simply addressing the issue of educating illegal immigrant children. There are a lot of other issues surrounding illegal immigration and I don't support some of them, like the open-border thing. There does need to be more control over immigration and definitely control over the borders/people illegally entering the U.S. - illegal is against the law...My point is only about educating the children that are living here now, legal or illegal, and giving them a chance to become productive citizens. Wouldn't you rather have them be productive citizens? Without an education there's a good chance they won't be...

Old 02-14-2007, 03:03 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,477,905 times
Quote:
I'm simply addressing the issue of educating illegal immigrant children. There are a lot of other issues surrounding illegal immigration and I don't support some of them, like the open-border thing. There does need to be more control over immigration and definitely control over the borders/people illegally entering the U.S. - illegal is against the law...My point is only about educating the children that are living here now, legal or illegal, and giving them a chance to become productive citizens. Wouldn't you rather have them be productive citizens? Without an education there's a good chance they won't be...
Things may be different where you live, but in my neck of the woods most school districts are not exactly awash in money. Educating illegal alien children, many of whom require ESL, is expensive and IMO simply unfair to school districts who are having a difficult time providing an adequate education for American students.
I agree it is not the fault of the child that the parents brought them here illegally. But this is something the parents should have thought of when they chose to knowingly violate US immigration law. As an adult, a head of a family, one needs to be able to think ahead and consider the long term ramifications of an action like illegally residing in another country. These parents clearly failed in that very obvious duty and I don't think the US taxpayer should have to pick up the tab or feel 'guilt tripped' into silence re: this drain on our educ. system. They and their children can be 'good productive citizens' in their home country.
Mexico in particular, is a country that has done nothing but make a great big mess out of itself then go around blaming everybody else. The Mexican govt is more than happy to have the US paying for health care, schooling, etc. of it's impoverished masses while these same people send billions back to Mexico each year. For Mexico it is a win-win situation- they don't have to spend any of their money on social programs for their people living in poverty AND they get a sizeable chunk of money flowing into their country each year. Such a deal! And they know it! Why do you think they print comic books telling their citizens how to cross illegally into the US? Why do you think the Mexican govt throws a hissy fit each time we start talking about a fence?

Old 02-14-2007, 03:04 PM

Quote:
If they are born here they have a right to that education because they are citizens, if they are illegal they are not citizens.

Old 02-14-2007, 05:15 PM

But they are still children, who didn't ask to be brought illegally into our country. Are people so narrow and cruel that they can't see through their hatred and anger to the facts? Children are of an innocence and helplessness that warrants society to care for them. If their parents make a bad choice, it's still up to the rest of us to care for them...including educating them. A compassionate human being will not deny a child the basics, no matter what the child's race or background, no matter who the child's parents are or where they come from, no matter if the parents are legally or illegally in the U.S. Bottom line - we're talking about children, and adults have an obligation to nurture children into adulthood. Most any country, any race, any group of people where ever they live should/would do the same.

Old 02-14-2007, 05:42 PM

Quote:
But they are still children, who didn't ask to be brought illegally into our country. Are people so narrow and cruel that they can't see through their hatred and anger to the facts? Children are of an innocence and helplessness that warrants society to care for them. If their parents make a bad choice, it's still up to the rest of us to care for them...including educating them. A compassionate human being will not deny a child the basics, no matter what the child's race or background, no matter who the child's parents are or where they come from, no matter if the parents are legally or illegally in the U.S. Bottom line - we're talking about children, and adults have an obligation to nurture children into adulthood. Most any country, any race, any group of people where ever they live should/would do the same.
There is no hate, just no respect for the parents that do this. High school diplomas mean little now a days, I guess we should give them college loans and grants as well. At what point would it end? They should be in their own country. Why should my kids education suffer due to lack of funds which is caused by the great influx of children that need special education and language needs ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration