U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 07:52 PM

15,756 posts, read 32,498,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Well, usually when you report a crime AT YOUR HOUSE...the cops need to know whos house it is
Nope.

I have reported a few in a couple of states and over many years and never was asked for ID.

I am aware of no law that one would have to provide it.

And this is not an immigration thing. This is the constitutional rights of all people in the US.

I would note that the Mexican gentleman likely volunteered to show them phoney ID which was dumb and may well have violated a law. But I would think he could have safely declined to provide ID.

It is called the Constitution folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 08:12 PM

11,470 posts, read 8,138,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Nope.

I have reported a few in a couple of states and over many years and never was asked for ID.

I am aware of no law that one would have to provide it.

And this is not an immigration thing. This is the constitutional rights of all people in the US.

I would note that the Mexican gentleman likely volunteered to show them phoney ID which was dumb and may well have violated a law. But I would think he could have safely declined to provide ID.

It is called the Constitution folks.
Hmmm. Lets look at this logically. Man calls cops because if a home invasion. Cops arrive and see a man in the house. BY YOUR LOGIC the cops should assume that the man in the house is the owner...not the burgler. Because cops can read minds and know whos the owner and who the criminal is eh? WAKE UP!!

Old 09-22-2008, 08:17 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,617,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bianca.G View Post
Based on the "law" that he is Mexican and police thus ask for ID but if he was not Mexican they wouldn't bother.
This is silly...how do the police know who's a Mexican and who is not, unless they see some form of ID? How do they know who to harrass, and who to leave alone? What do the police 'look for' when they set out to harass Mexicans, that cannot be found in others?

Old 09-22-2008, 09:28 PM

15,756 posts, read 32,498,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Hmmm. Lets look at this logically. Man calls cops because if a home invasion. Cops arrive and see a man in the house. BY YOUR LOGIC the cops should assume that the man in the house is the owner...not the burgler. Because cops can read minds and know whos the owner and who the criminal is eh? WAKE UP!!
Sorry. That is mostly poppycock. There might be a case where there is sufficient doubt that ID is called for. But in general the guy who meets you out front scared half to death is likely the victim. I would think cops would proceed somewhat casutiously until they were comfortable with the situation. You don't ask for ID while you think you might get shot at.

Carry that out a ways. Guy gets robbed on the street and calls the cops the first thing you do is check his ID make sure he is not the robber? Could get really interesting with a rape victim? How would you tell the robber from the robee? Is there a little box on the drivers license.

You ask for a utilty bill. If he knows where to find one he probably lives in the house. ID may or may not prove that.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:09 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,174,996 times
Quote:
Sorry. That is mostly poppycock. There might be a case where there is sufficient doubt that ID is called for. But in general the guy who meets you out front scared half to death is likely the victim. I would think cops would proceed somewhat casutiously until they were comfortable with the situation. You don't ask for ID while you think you might get shot at.

Carry that out a ways. Guy gets robbed on the street and calls the cops the first thing you do is check his ID make sure he is not the robber? Could get really interesting with a rape victim? How would you tell the robber from the robee? Is there a little box on the drivers license.

You ask for a utilty bill. If he knows where to find one he probably lives in the house. ID may or may not prove that.
Hey Moderator cut: personal attack, you've OBVIOUSLY never been the victim of a crime, or you would KNOW that when the police write up their reports they're GOING to verify ID. It's SOP, and for you to try and make a Federal case out of it only shows the lengths you're willing to go to try and justify your precious illegal aliens. Get a clue, the police verify identity on EVERYONE they come in contact with, unless their idiot boss has his own 'Special Order 40'!

Last edited by Synopsis; 09-23-2008 at 05:13 PM..

Old 09-22-2008, 10:21 PM

307 posts, read 458,295 times
Quote:
Around these parts asking for a victims Identification is done. I and one of my friends have both been asked for such when reporting a crime.

1) Home invasion takes place. Officer is met at the door by a person who says they are the owner and they were just robbed. Tells the police the guys ran down the block. Man is questioned and they look around the living room where the crime took place, gather evidence and then leave. 3 days later they find the REAL family dead in the attic and the fake owner and his friends long gone. Now we get to here everyone scream about police ineptitude for not verifying the ID and saving the family

2) The owner is just renting and has a criminal background so gives a fake name. Police report is taken and they leave. A week later an elderly lady is killed by a burglar with the same M.O. 3 months after that they catch a suspect and want the owner to identify him, but low and behold they can’t locate him because they don’t have his real name.

3) The Owner is stammering and appears nervous, the officer suspects something is up but is not sure what. Maybe he has an outstanding warrant for kidnapping. Maybe he is a wanted murderer. The officers instinct are correct and he catches a wanted felon.

4) A year later the owner is dead of a heart attack and a suspect is being tried. The officer is on the stand and is asked by the Defense attorney how he knows that the statement he took and wrote down is actually from the victim and not someone else at the alleged crime scene. All the officer can say is “Well he said he was the owner.” Yea there’s some doubt thrown on to the case. It would sound far better to say “He showed me his drivers license which I recorded here as CDL # 3244545. The picture on the I.D. matched the reporting victim.” Which sounds more professional to a jury?

For these reasons and 100’s more asking for I.D. is a GOOD IDEA. Worst case scenario, none of the above apply and the victim shows I.D. That was easy.

Quote:
Officers in these parts DO ask robbery victims for I.D. They will still take a report with out it but it makes for a damn site better police report to have the CDL number as well as other such data. It makes locating victims FAR easier. Of course you probably think a robbery victim would always remember his or her correct address and phone number. Fat chance. Many people are so shaken and stressed so as innocently give a partially incorrect home address or a child hood address. Yea that will make it loads of fun 3 week later when the police try to contact the victim to ID the suspect.

Random

Old 09-23-2008, 06:52 AM

3,640 posts, read 4,310,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bianca.G View Post
This is typical of so called law enforcement that a hard working law abiding worker is a victim of a criminal only to than be victimized again by police.

I hope someone can sue the town be it ACLU or another noble organization who fights for the people.
I love how stupid illegals are and how they get themselves caught. We really don't need such uneducated and unintelligent people in our country. We need immigrants who can help this country and pay taxes and such. Not true with the idiot in the OP. Aren't you proud of him? LOLOLOLOL

Old 09-23-2008, 08:35 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,816,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
Hey dipwad, you've OBVIOUSLY never been the victim of a crime, or you would KNOW that when the police write up their reports they're GOING to verify ID. It's SOP, and for you to try and make a Federal case out of it only shows the lengths you're willing to go to try and justify your precious illegal aliens. Get a clue, the police verify identity on EVERYONE they come in contact with, unless their idiot boss has his own 'Special Order 40'!
I can attest to the fact that police DO ask for ID. Each time my home alarm has sounded and the police responded, they have asked for my ID -- even when it was at 2 A.M. and I was in my pajamas. They cannot assume you are the homeowner simply because you are on the premises. It's not rocket science, nor is it racial profiling.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:52 AM

2,256 posts, read 2,963,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
I love how stupid illegals are and how they get themselves caught. We really don't need such uneducated and unintelligent people in our country. We need immigrants who can help this country and pay taxes and such. Not true with the idiot in the OP. Aren't you proud of him? LOLOLOLOL
That guy probably paid taxes through rent, and how can you make the claim that illegal immigrants are all unintelligent? How is that possible to do with millions of people?

Be careful about rash generalizations, because it makes you look like a fool. I'm not trying to vouch for this guy who is here illegally in the first place, just pointing out the flaws in your ill-thought out post.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:22 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,173,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
They probably need to get a proper identification of the victim like they would in any crime.
Exactly. I was a bank teller many years ago and I was robbed. When I went back to the police station for questioning and to id the guy, I had to show my license as did the woman who I was training when we were robbed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or