U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 11:22 AM

2,256 posts, read 2,963,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Sassyone, you refuse to make a distinction between invited guests and burglars. Truly sad.
I think what sassyone means is that someone who risks everything to make a dangerous journey to the U.S., just to work 12 hour+ days for little pay to eke out a living for themselves is far more admirable than a U.S. citizen who collects welfare benefits while adding nothing to the U.S. economy. It's a matter of work ethic, and something I've seen stronger in Mexican migrant workers than most American citizens, including myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 11:32 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,816,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidicarus89 View Post
I think what sassyone means is that someone who risks everything to make a dangerous journey to the U.S., just to work 12 hour+ days for little pay to eke out a living for themselves is far more admirable than a U.S. citizen who collects welfare benefits while adding nothing to the U.S. economy. It's a matter of work ethic, and something I've seen stronger in Mexican migrant workers than most American citizens, including myself.
I understand successful drug trafficking is hard work as well. Should we applaud them?

Iím sorry, but I do not hold in high esteem those who flagrantly violate our laws, depress wages, steal identities, and abuse our social services. I do make a distinction between lawful presence, albeit faineant, and brazen lawlessness.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:33 AM

7,020 posts, read 9,898,849 times
Quote:
I'm assuming that the only knowledge of NAFTA you have is of articles you've googled of the internet in your spare time, but the myth that NAFTA has hurt the U.S. is one that has been propagated very widely by both liberals and conservatives as well. I was one of those who lazily assumed it was a mistake, until taking my senior marketing class with a professor who advises Congress on bilateral trade, where we studied free trade in great detail.

It would take me a week to explain to you how NAFTA helps all three countries in the accord. Unless you're a blue collar manufacturing worker from Ohio, the U.S. economy has netted about 10 million jobs and grown much larger in the timespan since. While the U.S. and Canada have reaped the largest benefits of the agreement, Mexico has seen substantial economic gains as well, especially in its lucrative maquiladora industry, which courts corporate customers from around the world.

Yes, there are losers from NAFTA (especially in rural Mexico) but the overall effect has been keeping the economies of the U.S., Canada, and Mexico competitive with the lower wage producers of East Asia. It's a win-win-win for all of us.
First of all your assumptions of what I do and my reasons for doing it are not only lame but beginning to be more than annoying. You don't know me so you are in no position to assume anything about me.

Second, your laziness has nothing to do with me or what I know. As an American the failure of NAFTA is evident by the numbers of factories that have closed and blue collar jobs that have been shipped out of America. The fact that millions of illegal aliens are here from SOB due to lack of work and allegedly "looking for a better life" pretty much nails the coffin shut on your assumptions.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:34 AM

3,712 posts, read 5,711,852 times
Quote:
I think what sassyone means is that someone who risks everything to make a dangerous journey to the U.S., just to work 12 hour+ days for little pay to eke out a living for themselves is far more admirable than a U.S. citizen who collects welfare benefits while adding nothing to the U.S. economy.
It is not very difficult to be more admirable than that.

Quote:
It's a matter of work ethic, and something I've seen stronger in Mexican migrant workers than most American citizens, including myself.
'Most American citizens', huh? Not the ones I know. Does your definition of 'work ethic' include not cheating and stealing? An air traffic controller at O'Hare has more work ethic than an illegal alien and contributes more to the economy than they ever will.

Last edited by andreabeth; 09-24-2008 at 11:46 AM..

Old 09-24-2008, 11:36 AM

3,712 posts, read 5,711,852 times
Quote:
I'm assuming that the only knowledge of NAFTA you have is of articles you've googled of the internet in your spare time, but the myth that NAFTA has hurt the U.S. is one that has been propagated very widely by both liberals and conservatives as well. I was one of those who lazily assumed it was a mistake, until taking my senior marketing class with a professor who advises Congress on bilateral trade, where we studied free trade in great detail.

It would take me a week to explain to you how NAFTA helps all three countries in the accord. Unless you're a blue collar manufacturing worker from Ohio, the U.S. economy has netted about 10 million jobs and grown much larger in the timespan since. While the U.S. and Canada have reaped the largest benefits of the agreement, Mexico has seen substantial economic gains as well, especially in its lucrative maquiladora industry, which courts corporate customers from around the world.

Yes, there are losers from NAFTA (especially in rural Mexico) but the overall effect has been keeping the economies of the U.S., Canada, and Mexico competitive with the lower wage producers of East Asia. It's a win-win-win for all of us.
Not if we gain a couple million more illegals with 8th grade educations.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
First of all your assumptions of what I do and my reasons for doing it are not only lame but beginning to be more than annoying. You don't know me so you are in no position to assume anything about me.

Second, your laziness has nothing to do with me or what I know. As an American the failure of NAFTA is evident by the numbers of factories that have closed and blue collar jobs that have been shipped out of America. The fact that millions of illegal aliens are here from SOB due to lack of work and allegedly "looking for a better life" pretty much nails the coffin shut on your assumptions.
Forgive me if I hold more faith in those with doctorates in economics who sit on international trade boards than I do with a random poster on the internet. My "assumptions" are based on a semester's worth of study on NAFTA and manufacturing economics of the U.S. and Mexico. Unless you have an MBA I wasn't aware of, your casual observations on NAFTA aren't worth a damn. You can Google all you want, but you still have zero experience in working with these actual issues.

The U.S. economy of 2008, even in its current state, is still a much stronger engine than that of 1993. Face it, you are out of your league in trying to talk about economics.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:51 AM

3,640 posts, read 4,310,069 times
Quote:
Saying nothing about the low morals one must have to feely break any and all laws they deem to not like. Our welfare idiots are our problem but the illegals, and there are illegals who do collect welfare and other freebies, are not our problem and should be deported post haste. They take more than they contribute no matter what you say.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:52 AM

3,640 posts, read 4,310,069 times
Quote:
Face it, you are out of your league in trying to talk about economics.
As you are! Touche!!! Now, please learn the truth when it comes to illegals and the burden they inflict on this country.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:52 AM

20,310 posts, read 18,887,954 times
Quote:
Work ethic? Work ethic by my measure is a self motivated determined effort to do a good job.
Illegals work ethic: They work hard for less because they have put themselves in a position of very few options. To work less than hard would result in them not getting any more work. After all there are plenty more where they came from and they know it.
Its not work ethic its self preservation. Big difference.
This american works 12.5 hour swing shift in a factory... Factory? Isn't that one of the jobs Bianca says americans won't do? Next time you use a roll of paper towels I might have made that one.

Old 09-24-2008, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
As you are! Touche!!! Now, please learn the truth when it comes to illegals and the burden they inflict on this country.
It's actually as are you, but what the hell.

Now I thought we were discussing NAFTA?

Oh well, gotta run, I'll feel free to argue a bit later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or