U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-24-2008, 11:23 AM
 
3,859 posts, read 9,170,984 times
Reputation: 2728

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Kids I want you to meet grand ma. She was too old to break the law with the rest of us so you'll have to be content with seeing her through the fence. She is so very proud of us all. We break laws and send her money and once a month she rides a bus just to meet you. Its sad that now we might have to visit Grand ma from on top of a concrete wall but she understands. Some day when you are old enough you will be able to sponcer her visa because anchor babies got it like that.
For you pittbull
Great-just great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-24-2008, 11:29 AM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,881,481 times
Reputation: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
Great-just great!
Page 2 and now you have the rest of the story. LOL
10 years later.
Grandma welcome to america. Before we go home to our house first we have to go sign you up for your social security card this way you can start getting paid to be here. We are also confident that we can get you some disability for that nastey leg wound you recieved when you got caught in that ranchers barb wire when you tried to sneak accross the border 20 years ago. Grandma that was some smart planing on your part. You knew that you would never make it but got hurt so you could collect when we sponcered you. We love you grand ma. LOL
For Nicolem and pittbull.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2008, 11:31 AM
 
2,256 posts, read 2,962,830 times
Reputation: 1215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
But hers does happen to be the perspective of the majority of American citizens and that seems to be something you do not understand or care about.
We live in a very different American then, because in the great state of Texas I live in, its pretty tough to find ignorant alarmists who look at Mexico with wide-eyed terror. Our Mexican population is among the very oldest in the country, and our cultures have much in common.

Seeing a problem with illegal immigration and wanting secure borders is a very different line of thought than the 'paint-Mexico-as-an-savage-scary-nation' idea that she subscribes to.

Last edited by gallowsCalibrator; 09-24-2008 at 12:54 PM.. Reason: We discuss ideas, not posters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2008, 11:37 AM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,881,481 times
Reputation: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidicarus89 View Post
We live in a very different American then, because in the great state of Texas I live in, its pretty tough to find ignorant alarmists who look at Mexico with wide-eyed terror. Our Mexican population is among the very oldest in the country, and our cultures have much in common.

Seeing a problem with illegal immigration and wanting secure borders is a very different line of thought than the 'paint-Mexico-as-an-savage-scary-nation' idea that she subscribes to.
Your post is fair.
I agree Texas does have a mixed heritage and they do embrace it. The SOB issue Dubs mom has is more about the mentality pro-illegals have that we owe the illegals something more than say those applying and entering legally.
One can not argue because facts are facts that the SOB illegals constitute the massive majority of offenders.
I agree with you we should not paint americans of mexican heritage with the same brush we paint illegals.
I am of german heritage and have never been a Nazi or killed a jew. I should not be painted for the sins of those in Europe.
Your post is fair.

Last edited by gallowsCalibrator; 09-24-2008 at 12:54 PM.. Reason: fixed quote
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2008, 11:37 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Page 2 and now you have the rest of the story. LOL
10 years later.
Grandma welcome to america. Before we go home to our house first we have to go sign you up for your social security card this way you can start getting paid to be here. We are also confident that we can get you some disability for that nastey leg wound you recieved when you got caught in that ranchers barb wire when you tried to sneak accross the border 20 years ago. Grandma that was some smart planing on your part. You knew that you would never make it but got hurt so you could collect when we sponcered you. We love you grand ma. LOL
For Nicolem and pittbull.
Reference Part 1 & 2.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2008, 11:56 AM
 
2,256 posts, read 2,962,830 times
Reputation: 1215
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Your post is fair.
I agree Texas does have a mixed heritage and they do embrace it. The SOB issue Dubs mom has is more about the mentality pro-illegals have that we owe the illegals something more than say those applying and entering legally.
One can not argue because facts are facts that the SOB illegals constitute the massive majority of offenders.
I agree with you we should not paint americans of mexican heritage with the same brush we paint illegals.
I am of german heritage and have never been a Nazi or killed a jew. I should not be painted for the sins of those in Europe.
Your post is fair.
Thank you. What the poster doesn't realize is that even on the same side of the issue there are very divergent opinions. For example, on the 'Pro-illegal' side of the argument, there are those who want completely open borders, those who think that is unrealistic, those for amnesty, and those against. I myself have sympathy for illegal immigrants, but admit that there are a lot of negative consequences we face for their being in this country. Amnesty isn't an easy solution, but neither is a border wall, or attempt at full deportion.

There is no easy solution, but in my opinion an economically and politically stronger Mexico is the real winner for both countries. Maybe a return to the Bracero program? I don't know. But I do know that Mexico is on the verge of becoming a true economic powerhouse with its impressive manufacturing potential.

Squeezing people into neat little boxes of black or white is a great disservice to arguing intelligently about the complex issue that is immigration.

And of course, being from Texas, I also am of German heritage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2008, 12:33 PM
 
Location: California
3,172 posts, read 5,994,570 times
Reputation: 332
I hope you guys realize that there are more than a few AMERICAN border towns that benefit a lot from being next to Mexico. Some of the small towns especially live on revenue brought in by Mexican shoppers.

I know the above idea sounds outlandish to some of you, but to many of the small border towns, Mexico is an important neighbor.

Even in big border cities like San Diego or El Paso, theres a big exchange. The Mexican city getting tourist money, and the American city getting A LOT of shoppers.


I also read about Mexico being super dependent on America, but also, a lot of these towns start sweating big time whenever the border crossing is affected.
Border towns are a good place to study and see the relationship between the two countries. I think its kind of hard to understand from up in the midwest or back east where many of you are from. Its hard to get the big picture when you barely started paying attention to it through the immigration story, and all your sources are negative news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2008, 12:58 PM
 
1,818 posts, read 2,734,256 times
Reputation: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
I hope you guys realize that there are more than a few AMERICAN border towns that benefit a lot from being next to Mexico. Some of the small towns especially live on revenue brought in by Mexican shoppers.

I know the above idea sounds outlandish to some of you, but to many of the small border towns, Mexico is an important neighbor.

Even in big border cities like San Diego or El Paso, theres a big exchange. The Mexican city getting tourist money, and the American city getting A LOT of shoppers.


I also read about Mexico being super dependent on America, but also, a lot of these towns start sweating big time whenever the border crossing is affected.
Border towns are a good place to study and see the relationship between the two countries. I think its kind of hard to understand from up in the midwest or back east where many of you are from. Its hard to get the big picture when you barely started paying attention to it through the immigration story, and all your sources are negative news.
I very much enjoy living in a border town. I can shop and there is no tax. The food is great, the people are friendly and the dentists are excellent and half of what you would pay in the US. I agree that it depends on what part of the country you live, to really understand what is going on with the borders, it is not all negative and there are the positives. If you don't like the people, then you would not find anything good about the border towns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2008, 04:47 AM
 
Location: US
3,071 posts, read 3,335,346 times
Reputation: 1619
If Mexico is on the verge of being a true economic powerhouse, why are its residents flocking here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidicarus89 View Post
There is no easy solution, but in my opinion an economically and politically stronger Mexico is the real winner for both countries. Maybe a return to the Bracero program? I don't know. But I do know that Mexico is on the verge of becoming a true economic powerhouse with its impressive manufacturing potential.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2008, 08:59 AM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
If Mexico is on the verge of being a true economic powerhouse, why are its residents flocking here?
Part of the reason it's ABLE to become a true economic powerhouse, is that it has a place to send its 'excess' while it's working out the details. In a few years, it may be inviting them home...meanwhile, the oligarchy who runs Mexico can sleep well, knowing its 'little ones' are in good hands....SUCH good hands, that many of them may not WANT to go home, when the time comes.

Mexico IS becoming a modern nation, and in many ways is taking advantage of its huge northern neighbor, and our porous border..... all the while, of course, reserving its time-honored right to "bash the gringo" for his "anti-Mexican" outlook, and his failure to "look after its immigrants". It's sort of like a 'sport'. They 'rage', and we listen. Few people on EITHER side of the border take it seriously.

Last edited by macmeal; 09-25-2008 at 09:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top