U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 02:38 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,816,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
this only proves that in some places, like EP, people speak more spanish than english. this is one city.
and luckily a city i dont live in.(not because the spanish thing tho.)

in CALI its a different story.
but EP is texas. i kind of expect that from texas. but more particularly its a border city. one that has a twin city ciudad juarez. its one big metropolitan area. its not suprising that this is the case in EP.

might even be the case in SD,Ca. with its proximity to TJ. but who knows.

im just glad in CA, the trend is for assimilation and english speaking.

anyhow, how did this become about affirmative action?

Are you sure? Would you care to share credible sources? It's my understanding CA has essentially been transformed into Mexico. I donít live there, so this is strictly anecdotal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 02:59 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,072,228 times
i just started a thread, that actually uses the same data source to show that in cali, immigrants assimilate more and are more english proficient.

and it has not been transformed into lil mexico.

LA for example has lil armenia, ethiopia, filipinotown, koreatown, lil saigon. while we have a lot of mexicans and latinos, we also have a lot of other groups. largest samoan population outside of samoa too!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Are you sure? Would you care to share credible sources? It's my understanding CA has essentially been transformed into Mexico. I donít live there, so this is strictly anecdotal.

Old 09-25-2008, 03:24 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Quote:
Not all of California is 'Mexifornia'.

And there are still some enclaves in even SoCal that are still part of the USA culturally speaking--------read that majority English speaking, little or none of that MEChA crap, etc. Yucca Valley comes to mind re: affordable places.

Old 09-26-2008, 02:10 PM

2,542 posts, read 5,821,348 times
I don't have much to add--I just moved to Cochise County in February. I must say I am a bit jealous of everyone here who can move from Spanish to English/English to Spanish so fluently. I wish I could do that! I am hesitant to travel abroad because I only know English and a little French.

Anyhow, my one little point was on the arguement that some people make that all past immigrants embraced the language and learned it right away (compared to today's Hispanic immigrants). I think we are romanticizing the past (and our ancestors). My grandmother is first generation American--she is French-Canadian. Her parents only spoke French for most of their lives and they lived in a French community. She said her parents would get so upset when her and her siblings spoke English in the house.

Of course, this is only antidotal (sp.), but I can't help but feel that my grandmother's childhood was not abnormal for immigrant families, even those from northern Europe.

Old 09-26-2008, 04:28 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,617,384 times
Quote:
Are you sure? Would you care to share credible sources? It's my understanding CA has essentially been transformed into Mexico. I don’t live there, so this is strictly anecdotal.
Since you ask, Benicar, no.....it will be a LONG time before California, as a state, gets anywhere near being 'transformed into Mexico'. Its problems are HUGE, it's in financial trouble, and it has tremendous social 'disconnect'. More than one writer has called California "ungovernable" (and they're not joking). But no, it's nowhere NEAR becoming 'part of Mexico'...not really. It's a far more complex scenario than that, and illegal immigration is only part of the problem...it just makes everything worse, and diverts huge amounts of money that SHOULD be used elsewhere.

West Texas is far different...probably, I'd guess, a much higher percentage of people who are Mexican-American than in California, and far fewer "others" among the non-Hispanics...The situation there is much less complex, IMHO.

California may be "collapsing" into a Third-World state, but it won't be like Mexico...it will be it's OWN type of "mess". There are millions of illegals here, of course, but they're competing with all sorts of OTHER negative factors.

Bottom line, in my own opinion? Illegal immigration is a HUGE drain on California, and there are many elected officials here who SHAMELESSLY trumpet the "cause" of illegals ('We clean your TOILETS' !)...a few are almost de-facto 'agents' of the Mexican government. But there are so many OTHER problems that these things just aren't as 'prominent' as they might be in other states...don't know if that makes sense.(?) California is FAR more likely to become a separate NATION, than it is to become "part of Mexico".

Just my opinions, of course...

Old 09-26-2008, 05:17 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,072,228 times
ive said it plenty of times before.

i dont fear the illegals. i fear the thugs and the cholos more, even the ones without badges.

too much other stuff happens here to be pre-occupied with the illegals.

LA
"the home of drivebys and asthmatics
Swap meets, sticky green, and bad traffic"

anyhow, we aint mexico, thats for sure. too many other people here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or