U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2008, 10:16 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,827,658 times

Advertisements

The OP is illegal aliens and college. Thus, the affordability of a college education for legal citizens is irrelevant. Kele has clearly illustrated the fact that higher education is NOT attainable for all citizens of this country. If ALL legal citizens do not have the opportunity for a college education, why should we offer this privilege to illegals?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 01:30 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,001,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
The OP is illegal aliens and college. Thus, the affordability of a college education for legal citizens is irrelevant. Kele has clearly illustrated the fact that higher education is NOT attainable for all citizens of this country. If ALL legal citizens do not have the opportunity for a college education, why should we offer this privilege to illegals?
I am REFUTING that claim, and it pertains to the OP. So don't worry about it.

Old 09-29-2008, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
I am REFUTING that claim, and it pertains to the OP. So don't worry about it.
Wrong! You are hijacking the thread in an attempt to change the subject from illegal aliens. Nothing more, nothing less.

Old 09-29-2008, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Hello?

The University of California Los Angeles is a PUBLIC SCHOOL not a private institution like USC. It is supported by tuition and taxpayer dollars.

Any school which receives any portion of its opperating expenses from that state's taxpayers should be affordable. USC can charge what it will because it is a private institution.

You continue to insist that where there is a will, there is a way and that simply is not true. I had the will for over 20 years, but as a single mom, receiving no child support and having to work two jobs just to survive, there was no way--a perpetual circle of inability to break out of a cycle of need in order to pursue higher education. Two year college, if tuition can be made, does not parcel out living expenses, loans, etc. The best you can hope for is a Pell Grant and/or a tuition waver. That still makes college out of reach for many. Younger students may have it easier, but they are not the sum and total of college students in the U.S.

There is a distinct lack of support in this country for those pursuing higher education. It simply is not a priority that our citizens are educated and why should it be when all of the high tech jobs are shipped out of the U.S. anyway?
UCLA, UCSD, the other UCs are a little more expensive that state colleges like CSU Northridge, CSU Long Beach, SDSU, Fresno State etc, dont you think?

Like I said, college is attainable, if you dont mess up and have kids before you finish your education. Why do you think they make such a big deal about teenage pregnacy?
There's a lot of things that'll prevent someone from getting their education, but many of those things are avoidable.
Theres tons of stuff out there to get people to go to school, but a lot of people don't take the time to find out. And the biggest obstacle in someone going to college is their attitude. Either not wanting to go, or not thinking they can make it, academically or financially.

You have an extremely pessimistic view towards higher education, and are only relating to your own experience.
I have my own experience, as well as several friends who have grown up from low income to lower middle class, and have had no problems getting their education.
Whether it be UCLA, or an AA or training certificate at the local JC.

Old 09-29-2008, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Wrong! You are hijacking the thread in an attempt to change the subject from illegal aliens. Nothing more, nothing less.
Is Kele hijacking the thread too?

Quote:
Kele has clearly illustrated the fact that higher education is NOT attainable for all citizens of this country
So thats it? She's right, so stop hijacking the thread? How did she "clearly illustrate" that? Because she says she had a hard time getting through school? Im saying Im not having a hard time.
Its part of the discussion, so either contribute, or stop trying to moderate for your side and kick rocks.

Old 09-29-2008, 01:48 PM

Quote:

So thats it? She's right, so stop hijacking the thread? How did she "clearly illustrate" that? Because she says she had a hard time getting through school? Im saying Im not having a hard time.
Its part of the discussion, so either contribute, or stop trying to moderate for your side and kick rocks.
Kele was responding to you. She has answered your questions, yet you continue the discussion, rather than address the OP. The affordability, or attainability of higher education is NOT the topic of this thread, and is NOT germane to the issue of illegal aliens and college.

Old 09-29-2008, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Kele was responding to you. She has answered your questions, yet you continue the discussion, rather than address the OP. The affordability, or attainability of higher education is NOT the topic of this thread, and is NOT germane to the issue of illegal aliens and college.
We're talking about American access to college, and her point is that college is not accessible to a lot of Americans, and I think college is accesible to everyone.

If her point is true, then its a major disaster that illegals are going to school.
If my point is true, then not so much.

Naturally, youre going to believe anything "your side" says, but I feel strongly that anyone can get some kind of higher education.
So contribute to why you think college is inaccesible to many Americans, or move along.

Old 09-29-2008, 01:54 PM

Quote:

What "part of the discussion" applies to illegal aliens receiving a college education in this country? Please enlighten me.

Old 09-29-2008, 01:56 PM

Quote:
What "part of the discussion" applies to illegal aliens receiving a college education in this country? Please enlighten me.
Reread my previous post. Hopefully you will enlighten yourself.

Old 09-29-2008, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Reread my previous post. Hopefully you will enlighten yourself.
AMC, be advised I'm not one of the anti-illegals you can antagonize into getting banned. If you are hoping for an inappropriate attack in response to your insolence, you will be sorely disappointed. I will not play your game. You have hijacked this thread, period.

Your discussion has absolutely NO relevance to the OP, and you know it. You simply don't want the discussion to focus on illegal aliens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or