U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-10-2007, 09:23 PM
 
Location: Texas!
332 posts, read 338,496 times
Reputation: 108

Advertisements

Yes it was a spanish class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-10-2007, 09:42 PM
 
Location: NE Florida
9,362 posts, read 22,340,267 times
Reputation: 9263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amavel View Post
Yeah, uh, was it a Spanish class? Because that would explain why the teacher would treat NATIVE SPEAKERS a bit differently than disrespectful, non-native speakers.
Was your post directed at me as sarcasm or at the original poster?

What made me think that it might be a spanish class is because my 13yo son makes Bs and Cs. My 9yo grandaughter (whom I am raising) makes As. My son has complained because he has to do extra homework while my gdaughter can play or talk on the phone with friends, to which I reply, "Well when you are making As, you can do that, too."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2007, 10:08 PM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
28,185 posts, read 43,461,725 times
Reputation: 18568
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
But what does this have to do with immigration?
That's what I was wondering too... the teacher might be an immigrant, but surely a legal & english-speaking one. As for the original post, I too find this VERY hard to believe, and would also like to know more details. I've been in the educational field for more than 10 years, and have never seen a teacher act in this manner - regardless of their racial/ethnic background. For the sake of argument, let's pretend this incident really did happen... I'd say the teacher was out of line (unless it was a Spanish class), and would deserve to be reprimanded. But this has nothing to do with "Hispanic teachers", just one bad teacher who could've been from any race. If a black or white teacher was disrespectful, would you say they were all racist and should be fired?? Gimme a break, this is clearly a bating post, and one that has nothing to do with immigration or politics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2007, 10:13 PM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
28,185 posts, read 43,461,725 times
Reputation: 18568
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmann101 View Post
Yes it was a spanish class.
Well, in that case, I don't think the teacher was out of line... obviously you're supposed to speak Spanish in a SPANISH class, and the students in question were probably not paying attention. The "Latino students" could have been doing their homework or conversational practice - so of course the ones yapping away in English deserved to be shushed!! I took 7 years of Spanish in school (middle school through college), and the main rule for all classes was "No English". Anyway, I still think you're just trying to stir up trouble...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2007, 12:28 AM
 
Location: Journey's End
10,189 posts, read 24,465,817 times
Reputation: 3826
Nothing to do with immigration, however, I believe the poster is under 18 years old, and while that is not too young, I am beginning to believe we should have some guidelines of how old people should be to participate on this forum.

This is not the first post of this kind, off-topic, and uninformed about a topic, I've encountered by a teen-ager. Of course, we also have highly original, off-topic posts from adults, too!

Madmann101, I really would like to understand the point of this thread--one teacher, one incident and you feel so strongly that you post about it here in a very highly charged forum.

Can you explain yourself, please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2007, 02:16 AM
 
Location: Orange County
354 posts, read 761,894 times
Reputation: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereinfla View Post
Was your post directed at me as sarcasm or at the original poster?

What made me think that it might be a spanish class is because my 13yo son makes Bs and Cs. My 9yo grandaughter (whom I am raising) makes As. My son has complained because he has to do extra homework while my gdaughter can play or talk on the phone with friends, to which I reply, "Well when you are making As, you can do that, too."
Sorry, I was referring to the original post because it was only partially informative and seemed purposefully so. As it turns out, my assumptions were correct. And I agree with your anecdote, there are different sorts of standards in any given situation. Its a bit naive and trivial to place the mentioned behavior into a racial category.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2007, 07:59 AM
 
Location: Texas!
332 posts, read 338,496 times
Reputation: 108
Well theirs been many more reports about the hispanic teachers, not just one I just didn't feel like explaining what all these teachers did. I personally believe just because your in a spanish class and you don 't know spanish, you shouldn't have to do tons of classwork while the spanish-speaking students play games,and make different types of art, and be able to pass with a 95 when they don't even do any type of work. I would understand if they were given the same work as us, but there "NOT" they hardly are ever given work, they just sit and talk all day long! and when we ask them to be quiet they tell us to shut up and talk about us in spanish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2007, 08:04 AM
 
Location: Texas!
332 posts, read 338,496 times
Reputation: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Nothing to do with immigration, however, I believe the poster is under 18 years old, and while that is not too young, I am beginning to believe we should have some guidelines of how old people should be to participate on this forum.

This is not the first post of this kind, off-topic, and uninformed about a topic, I've encountered by a teen-ager. Of course, we also have highly original, off-topic posts from adults, too!

Madmann101, I really would like to understand the point of this thread--one teacher, one incident and you feel so strongly that you post about it here in a very highly charged forum.

Can you explain yourself, please!
Sorry for posting the forum in the wrong section.

Just because I'm under the age of 18 I shouldn't be allowed to participate on this forum? You know, not many kids my age like to talk about politics and issues going on in the world. I don't understand why I shouldn't be allowed to come on here and discuss my opinions and ideas. I may be young but I do care about what is going on in our world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2007, 08:15 AM
 
Location: Journey's End
10,189 posts, read 24,465,817 times
Reputation: 3826
I ain't the boss here, madmann101, so you are safe, but try to think through the implications of posting about a spanish teacher, who may or may not be any sort of immigrant in a potentially high voltage area.

My French teacher wasn't from France! and sometimes she wasn't fair either!

Take care, and buckle down in that class!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmann101 View Post
Sorry for posting the forum in the wrong section.

Just because I'm under the age of 18 I shouldn't be allowed to participate on this forum? You know, not many kids my age like to talk about politics and issues going on in the world. I don't understand why I shouldn't be allowed to come on here and discuss my opinions and ideas. I may be young but I do care about what is going on in our world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2007, 10:16 AM
 
Location: NE Florida
9,362 posts, read 22,340,267 times
Reputation: 9263
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmann101 View Post
Well theirs been many more reports about the hispanic teachers, not just one I just didn't feel like explaining what all these teachers did. I personally believe just because your in a spanish class and you don 't know spanish, you shouldn't have to do tons of classwork while the spanish-speaking students play games,and make different types of art, and be able to pass with a 95 when they don't even do any type of work. I would understand if they were given the same work as us, but there "NOT" they hardly are ever given work, they just sit and talk all day long! and when we ask them to be quiet they tell us to shut up and talk about us in spanish.
I know, the same thing happened to me when I was in school. I wasn't very good in math and had to do tons more work just to make Cs, while some others- BOYS MOSTLY- didn't have to study at all hardly to make good grades. And the teacher was a male, so, of course he was biased in favor of the boys.

And when the teacher would be spending extra time working with me and some of the other girls, the boys could sit in the back of the room and goof off. All because they already knew the material and I didn't. It just wasn't fair.

BTW, if you understand what the girls in the back of the room are saying to you in spanish, then all of that extra work must be paying off!

Last edited by Magnolia Bloom; 02-11-2007 at 10:18 AM.. Reason: p.s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top