U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-11-2007, 10:57 AM
 
3,712 posts, read 5,710,869 times
Reputation: 1285

Advertisements

One of the common complaints about teens today that I hear over and over is that they are not interested in national events, all they want to do is listen to Flavr Flav (is that his name?) on their ipods, etc., etc., etc. So here we have a teen who is trying to participate and he/she gets nothing but criticism. I am sure this is not the first time a post may not have been placed in the 'correct' forum, if the moderators feel it is a egregious abuse I expect they will move it. Madmann101, I say keep posting. It is good to have viewpoints from all age groups, including teens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-11-2007, 12:20 PM
 
Location: NE Florida
9,362 posts, read 22,340,267 times
Reputation: 9263
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
One of the common complaints about teens today that I hear over and over is that they are not interested in national events, all they want to do is listen to Flavr Flav (is that his name?) on their ipods, etc., etc., etc. So here we have a teen who is trying to participate and he/she gets nothing but criticism. I am sure this is not the first time a post may not have been placed in the 'correct' forum, if the moderators feel it is a egregious abuse I expect they will move it. Madmann101, I say keep posting. It is good to have viewpoints from all age groups, including teens.

Madmann-
ME<- posted to a wrong forum before. Got moved

YOU-> I think it's good that you are speaking out for something that you believe in. Keep it up. I do, however, think that you are wrong on this issue.

What is good about open debate such as this is that we have an opportunity to see things through another's eyes, new paradigms. Through doing this we often can understand where someone is coming from and if not change our views, at least come to accept the views of others.

And if you don't already know it- don't take the criticism of others personally. We are debating ideas, not people.

Good for you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2007, 12:42 PM
j33
 
4,625 posts, read 12,635,395 times
Reputation: 1650
I doubt too many kids are listening to Flava Flav these days. Public Enemy put out their first album 20 years ago
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2007, 12:57 PM
 
Location: NE Florida
9,362 posts, read 22,340,267 times
Reputation: 9263
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
I doubt too many kids are listening to Flava Flav these days. Public Enemy put out their first album 20 years ago
Yeah, should replace with Chamillionaire!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2007, 05:01 PM
 
Location: Orange County
354 posts, read 761,894 times
Reputation: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
One of the common complaints about teens today that I hear over and over is that they are not interested in national events, all they want to do is listen to Flavr Flav (is that his name?) on their ipods, etc., etc., etc. So here we have a teen who is trying to participate and he/she gets nothing but criticism. I am sure this is not the first time a post may not have been placed in the 'correct' forum, if the moderators feel it is a egregious abuse I expect they will move it. Madmann101, I say keep posting. It is good to have viewpoints from all age groups, including teens.
There's a difference between spending the time and effort to educate yourself on topics before jumping into heavy debates/discussions and saying, "hey, look at me! I have something to say though I'm really not sure of the facts that back up my argument", et cetera. It's not enough to be young with an opinion; you've got to earn the respect of those with more life experience and (likely) more education.

Madmann101 and I are likely very close in age, yet I don't roam C-D making baseless claims then return later and say, "well give me a break, I'm young and at least I'm trying..."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2007, 05:20 PM
 
Location: NE Florida
9,362 posts, read 22,340,267 times
Reputation: 9263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amavel View Post
There's a difference between spending the time and effort to educate yourself on topics before jumping into heavy debates/discussions and saying, "hey, look at me! I have something to say though I'm really not sure of the facts that back up my argument", et cetera.
I know what you mean, but if that was the litmus test for posting to this site..

I will say, though, except for madmann, who I do believe shot from the hip on this one, I am amazed at the depth of thought that goes into the posts of those that I can identify as under 25. Rereading that, I sound condescending (which means to talk down to ). But seriously, it seems that there is much apathy around and the knowledge that there are waves of outspoken generations coming along behind us "mature" adults...(right fist in the air) I say YEAH!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2007, 06:56 PM
 
Location: Texas!
332 posts, read 338,496 times
Reputation: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amavel View Post
There's a difference between spending the time and effort to educate yourself on topics before jumping into heavy debates/discussions and saying, "hey, look at me! I have something to say though I'm really not sure of the facts that back up my argument", et cetera. It's not enough to be young with an opinion; you've got to earn the respect of those with more life experience and (likely) more education.

Madmann101 and I are likely very close in age, yet I don't roam C-D making baseless claims then return later and say, "well give me a break, I'm young and at least I'm trying..."
Well if your statement was addressing me, I never asked anyone to cut me some slack. For a matter of fact, I'd like to be treated just like everyone else is on this board, I just simply stated just because I may be younger than most of the members, that dosen't mean I shouldn't be allowed to state my opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top