U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-10-2007, 08:33 AM
 
Location: Texas!
332 posts, read 339,601 times
Reputation: 108

Advertisements

I go to a small academy school, and a lot of students have noticed that alot of the hispanic teachers come off as very racist, like yesturday.

A black girl was talking quietly with her friends while some hispanics were in the back of the room talking noisely and laughing loud, he addressed the black girl and told her to be quiet, and she said "why want you make them be quiet?"(the hispanic students), he said back to her "because they know "SPANISH!" I mean seriously, I didn't know you had to know spanish to talk in class! Well anyways she wrote a letter to the prinicipal about the situation, but they aren't taking it seriously, I mean there have been many reports about this spanish teacher being predjudice toward non-hispanic students.

Did ya'll think the statement he said was kind of over the top?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-10-2007, 08:50 AM
 
Location: Midwest
6,739 posts, read 8,550,097 times
Reputation: 16512
No offense, but I find this hard to believe - although it surely could be true...

Of course if it's true, what he said was way over the top, and he should be reprimanded....

I've had many teachers- Whites, blacks, hispanics and they treated all kids the same. Maybe things have changed since I went to school........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2007, 08:55 AM
 
Location: Texas!
332 posts, read 339,601 times
Reputation: 108
Well it is true, I'm not making it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2007, 08:57 AM
j33
 
4,625 posts, read 12,646,909 times
Reputation: 1650
Is this post about one teacher? Or about "Hispanic teachers" (of which I have had several, and they all have been lovely), however this one specific teacher who happens to be of Hispanic descent who is being a jerk, needs to be dealt with. Now, if there is a culture in this institution of racism (and that can and has happened amongst all races at most types of institutions), then that is a different matter entirely. Is this one situation pervasive, is it happening in other classrooms by other teachers? Or is this one instance of a bad apple that you are attributing to the entire school.

I don't know the situation, but often schools do not take the complaints of students against teachers seriously, and that is a shame (not to mention the race card is often thrown around erroneously), however, if a significant number of students and parents band together, provide evidence, and demand to be heard regarding this teacher, then I'm sure that his racist behavior would be addressed (hopefully that is, sadly, this is not a perfect world).

Oh, and of course that statement or behavior is over the top, it would be over the top regardless of of the ethnicity of the person who stated it.

And exactly how is this related to immigration? A post about a person of Hispanic descent does not automatically mean it goes in the 'immigration' forum. I known more than my fair share of people of Hispanic descent that have been in the US longer than my (Caucasian) family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2007, 10:51 AM
 
Location: NE Florida
9,362 posts, read 22,362,503 times
Reputation: 9265
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmann101 View Post
I go to a small academy school, and a lot of students have noticed that alot of the hispanic teachers come off as very racist, like yesturday.

A black girl was talking quietly with her friends while some hispanics were in the back of the room talking noisely and laughing loud, he addressed the black girl and told her to be quiet, and she said "why want you make them be quiet?"(the hispanic students), he said back to her "because they know "SPANISH!" I mean seriously, I didn't know you had to know spanish to talk in class! Well anyways she wrote a letter to the prinicipal about the situation, but they aren't taking it seriously, I mean there have been many reports about this spanish teacher being predjudice toward non-hispanic students.

Did ya'll think the statement he said was kind of over the top?
Let me guess- was it a spanish language class?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2007, 11:20 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
699 posts, read 2,304,654 times
Reputation: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
No offense, but I find this hard to believe - although it surely could be true...

Of course if it's true, what he said was way over the top, and he should be reprimanded....

I've had many teachers- Whites, blacks, hispanics and they treated all kids the same. Maybe things have changed since I went to school........

Not only is it hard to believe a teacher would react this way, but it's impossible to believe that the administration of the school didn't take it seriously. Parent compaints are not ignored...they are at the very least investigated.

Teachers aren't above being human, incuding having feelings like racism and other hateful feelings. But one thing I've always noticed about them is they leave those feelings outside and come into the school looking at every child as equal and worth their time. We show just as much love for the irritating ones as the sweet ones, the smart ones, the obedient ones...probably more for the troublemakers - the definitely get more attention and take more of the teacher's time. A teacher would have a rough time being closed minded at work. It's hard to teach and/or learn when your mind is closed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2007, 11:22 AM
 
Location: Journey's End
10,189 posts, read 24,486,648 times
Reputation: 3826
But what does this have to do with immigration?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2007, 12:34 PM
 
Location: NE Florida
9,362 posts, read 22,362,503 times
Reputation: 9265
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
But what does this have to do with immigration?
Well, the girls in the back of the class of that private school we latino, so they must have been illegal aliens...geesh, I guess you just haven't learned anything from these boards
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2007, 12:35 PM
 
Location: Journey's End
10,189 posts, read 24,486,648 times
Reputation: 3826
Duh! I better go back to school!




Quote:
Originally Posted by hereinfla View Post
Well, the girls in the back of the class of that private school we latino, so they must have been illegal aliens...geesh, I guess you just haven't learned anything from these boards
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2007, 04:00 PM
 
Location: Orange County
354 posts, read 762,540 times
Reputation: 169
Yeah, uh, was it a Spanish class? Because that would explain why the teacher would treat NATIVE SPEAKERS a bit differently than disrespectful, non-native speakers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top