U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-29-2008, 07:16 AM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,615,066 times
Reputation: 2983

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Is that why Puerto Rico has YET to declare itself independent? I'm all for cutting y'all loose, but your own people can't decide whether or not they want independence or statehood.
Puerto Rico has three main sentiments among the populace...Those who want total independence (as a separate country); those who want to become the 51st state of the US; and those who wish to continue the status quo (separate, but associated, commonwealth).

Pretty much a normal spread of sentiments, and these sentiments occur elsewhere, too..Alaska, Hawaii,...even Texas and Calfornia have similar groups with similar aims.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-29-2008, 12:13 PM
 
Location: Bradenton, Florida
27,236 posts, read 40,273,555 times
Reputation: 10915
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Puerto Rico has three main sentiments among the populace...Those who want total independence (as a separate country); those who want to become the 51st state of the US; and those who wish to continue the status quo (separate, but associated, commonwealth).

Pretty much a normal spread of sentiments, and these sentiments occur elsewhere, too..Alaska, Hawaii,...even Texas and Calfornia have similar groups with similar aims.

But my point is: they're divided, and cannot decide amongst themselves what they would like to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2008, 04:34 PM
 
6,011 posts, read 6,727,687 times
Reputation: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by flburgos View Post
Boy you made this a lot better.I'm totally convinced let's go after just the mexicans because there's more of them.Forget the irish and italian there ain't enough of them.Great post problem solved! Let's go get us some damn Mexicans.
not saying problem is solved but the light is shining on mexicans because there are so many of them and all they have to do is cross they dont fly and overstay..

lets see 50,000 irish/italian to near a million or more mexican nationals
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2008, 04:36 PM
 
6,011 posts, read 6,727,687 times
Reputation: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
But my point is: they're divided, and cannot decide amongst themselves what they would like to do.
if they become a their own country its bound to become a impoversihed island who distribute funds among the wealthy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2008, 10:01 PM
 
1,218 posts, read 3,582,943 times
Reputation: 1141
The operative term here is ILLEGAL, people. When the Irish and Italians came here, they did it LEGALLY. Why do you imbeciles refuse to speak on that? You are so pro-crime and so willing to sell our country down the river. You have no respect for our laws or international boundaries and you think we should welcome with open arms people here ILLEGALLY. People with no education, no history of health care, illiterate and unable to speak or read the language. Gee, sounds like a boon for America.

Only if you're a greedy Republican businessman or a sissy liberal who hates laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2008, 10:18 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmulk View Post
The operative term here is ILLEGAL, people. When the Irish and Italians came here, they did it LEGALLY. Why do you imbeciles refuse to speak on that? You are so pro-crime and so willing to sell our country down the river. You have no respect for our laws or international boundaries and you think we should welcome with open arms people here ILLEGALLY. People with no education, no history of health care, illiterate and unable to speak or read the language. Gee, sounds like a boon for America.

Only if you're a greedy Republican businessman or a sissy liberal who hates laws.
Your last sentence really 'hit home'-----------and is correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2008, 10:37 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma
608 posts, read 791,332 times
Reputation: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Your last sentence really 'hit home'-----------and is correct.
Sad but true...Like usual this issue contines to be spun, morphed, and completely transformed to fit the agenda of those that wish to see it changed in a way that reflects their personal beliefs or at least puts money in their bank account! Let's get right to the boring and straightforward core of this argument...Illegals are those that reside within the US without authorization of those that enforce the laws of our land. Period. Secondly, people that have no right to be here are entitled to no rights. I know, no race argument, no historical land claim, no "we can't run the economy wiyhout them"...Boring but never the less the core of the issue itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2008, 10:45 PM
 
Location: The Heart of Dixie
6,546 posts, read 11,621,205 times
Reputation: 3960
I was not aware that there are large numbers of illegal Irish and illegal Italians coming here. I don't see any Italian people here who do not speak English. The vast majority of illegals come from Latin America with lesser numbers from Asia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2008, 08:41 AM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,615,066 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I was not aware that there are large numbers of illegal Irish and illegal Italians coming here. I don't see any Italian people here who do not speak English. The vast majority of illegals come from Latin America with lesser numbers from Asia.
As a matter of fact, there are illegals from MANY countries here, a fact often pressed by those who wish to downplay the enormous imbalance going on today, with the huge bulk of illegals originating from Latin America, and one country in particular.

More to the point, though, is not whether this represents some sort of 'prejudice against Hispanics' or NOT....but the simple fact that illegal immigration is illegal, and it's being dishonest to compare it with earlier 'waves'.

One more point of HUGE importance that I've stressed, but seldom see written about, is TIMING. THe "Irish and Italians" (code word for 'immigrants in the past') who arrived two generations ago or before, came at a time when our society, and our economy, demanded a steady flow of not-too-educated 'bodies' to fill the enormous number of "grunt labor" jobs at that time...in short, we NEEDED these people at that time. Unskilled labor and farm work formed the vast majority of ALL jobs.

Today, it's not a matter of 'needing' poorly-educated people by the millions..it's a matter of "can we somehow 'fit them in'?"....and that's almost a '180'-change in the situation. Trying to make a case that "millions of unskilled people, many of them semi-literate, and with all sorts of problems, are coming (many illegally) into our present-day 'welfare state' because WE NEED THEM is simply ludicrous. And it's that 'stretch of the truth' that causes much of the anger and rancor among the pro-illegals today. It's a position nearly impossible to defend with logic...and when you can't use logic, you have to 'get mad' instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2008, 04:29 AM
 
394 posts, read 896,490 times
Reputation: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by flburgos View Post
This is a comment from an Irish immigrant a group that we all have been avoiding here for one reason or onother.This is the immigration forum not the mexican forum i don't care if they are the majority.Illegal is Illegal no matter the color or the race.This comment backs up what i have been talking about. white americans prefer corned beef and lasagna than a burrito with all the works.This comment is coming from an "Illegal Irish"
folks.I don't know about you guys but i would rather eat a burrito with all the works than a boiled dinner.I've had those before and there not that great.

Illegal irish admitting to better treatment beacuse there white.


"We're all in the same boat," she said. "The Irish are lucky because we speak English and we're white: We do get treated better. But we (undocumented immigrants) are all hard workers. We all want a better life."
much of what you say is probably accurate unfortunately, but ilegal is illegal.
by the way, what made you make the move? last i checked irelands economy was doing quite well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top