U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 09:03 PM

20 posts, read 62,497 times

Advertisements

When my father first came to this country from Italy back in the 1950's....he was spat upon and called a "dirty ****" and "wop" by a lot of people in Chicago. He did not speak one lick of English.

If you saw my dad in real life, his skin color is as pale as any other "white" person out there and you would not know he is 100% Italian by looking at him.

Please stop the race baiting. You are fooling no one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 09:21 PM

3,172 posts, read 5,996,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatecali View Post
When my father first came to this country from Italy back in the 1950's....he was spat upon and called a "dirty ****" and "wop" by a lot of people in Chicago. He did not speak one lick of English.

If you saw my dad in real life, his skin color is as pale as any other "white" person out there and you would not know he is 100% Italian by looking at him.

Please stop the race baiting. You are fooling no one.
Back then they were coming(or had been coming) in large numbers, and were the current boogeyman of the time, which is why he probably experienced discrimination.

But he didn't speak a lick of English? That contradicts what some people say on here.
They would say he started speaking fluent English 5 minutes off the boat and wouldve already been trying to 'downplay' his Italianess.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:29 AM

8,973 posts, read 14,617,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
They would say he started speaking fluent English 5 minutes off the boat and wouldve already been trying to 'downplay' his Italianess.
If they said THAT, they'd probably be in the midst of a silly childish tantrum. But, even so, they'd be correct in spirit. Immigrants in those days DID downplay their 'foreignness', DID become highly determined to 'fit in' to American society, and did NOT go out of their way to dig up their "roots", wave their former flags, or disparage their new home. They were HAPPY to be here (hard as that is to comprehend today). I KNOW that must be annoying, but it's true. Immigrants were once grateful, and many an 'old-timer' with broken English flew the biggest flag on the block, on the 4th of July. Yes, the AMERICAN flag!! RIGHT SIDE UP, even!! (gasp).... Believe it or not, it really happened that way, 'once upon a time'.

But I guess you DO have a point, in one sense. Those old-timers WERE pretty gullible, thinking they had to go the 'legal route', fit into their new home, 'stand in line' and pretend to be all patriotic, etc. Today's immigrant is FAR more 'savvy', in that regard. None of that 'legal mumbo-jumbo' for him. Just walk right in, take what you want, and SCREAM LIKE HELL when you're caught. LOTS simpler than the old "trying to be an American" method, I'll certainly give you that. Somehow, though, I think the old process might have 'built character' or 'put out a better grade of citizen' than the 'new' way....but heck, I could be wrong. What's a 'citizen', anyway...I mean, really?

Anyway, I digress..parfon me. If you DO find out who's SAYING this silly stuff, amc, why not challenge them 'face to face'? Or better yet, prove them wrong..or ignore them? And if I find them, I'll do the same. That's 'the American way'.

Last edited by macmeal; 10-02-2008 at 07:53 AM..

Old 10-02-2008, 09:41 AM

8,180 posts, read 11,036,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Back then they were coming(or had been coming) in large numbers, and were the current boogeyman of the time, which is why he probably experienced discrimination.

But he didn't speak a lick of English? That contradicts what some people say on here.

5 minutes off the boat? Naw.....but it sure as hell didn't take them three generations either
If the majority of spanish speaking immigrants are learning english as you say they are --- then why is everything in spanish? Why are billboards in spanish? Job ads in the paper in spanish? The self check out lane at the grocery store in spanish? If they are all learning enlish at an appropriate rate ---- why must the english speaking majority accomadate the spanish speaking minority that are fast becoming enlish speakers themselves?

The answer is they are not becoming bilingual with any degree of fluency because they don't want to and they don't have to.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:45 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,816,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
5 minutes off the boat? Naw.....but it sure as hell didn't take them three generations either
If the majority of spanish speaking immigrants are learning english as you say they are --- then why is everything in spanish? Why are billboards in spanish? Job ads in the paper in spanish? The self check out lane at the grocery store in spanish? If they are all learning enlish at an appropriate rate ---- why must the english speaking majority accomadate the spanish speaking minority that are fast becoming enlish speakers themselves?

The answer is they are not becoming bilingual with any degree of fluency because they don't want to and they don't have to.

Old 10-02-2008, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
If they said THAT, they'd probably be in the midst of a silly childish tantrum. But, even so, they'd be correct in spirit. Immigrants in those days DID downplay their 'foreignness', DID become highly determined to 'fit in' to American society, and did NOT go out of their way to dig up their "roots", wave their former flags, or disparage their new home. They were HAPPY to be here (hard as that is to comprehend today). I KNOW that must be annoying, but it's true. Immigrants were once grateful, and many an 'old-timer' with broken English flew the biggest flag on the block, on the 4th of July. Yes, the AMERICAN flag!! RIGHT SIDE UP, even!! (gasp).... Believe it or not, it really happened that way, 'once upon a time'.

But I guess you DO have a point, in one sense. Those old-timers WERE pretty gullible, thinking they had to go the 'legal route', fit into their new home, 'stand in line' and pretend to be all patriotic, etc. Today's immigrant is FAR more 'savvy', in that regard. None of that 'legal mumbo-jumbo' for him. Just walk right in, take what you want, and SCREAM LIKE HELL when you're caught. LOTS simpler than the old "trying to be an American" method, I'll certainly give you that. Somehow, though, I think the old process might have 'built character' or 'put out a better grade of citizen' than the 'new' way....but heck, I could be wrong. What's a 'citizen', anyway...I mean, really?

Anyway, I digress..parfon me. If you DO find out who's SAYING this silly stuff, amc, why not challenge them 'face to face'? Or better yet, prove them wrong..or ignore them? And if I find them, I'll do the same. That's 'the American way'.
The economy's bad, gas is expensive. I don't want to go through the trouble of bringing the Delorean out of the garage.
So with that, I'll just depend on you for the low down on what went down in the beginning of the 20th century. Youre the only who has such an incredible knowledge on "the way things were". I don't think youre generalizing "the olde timers" or "today's immigrant" at all.

Old 10-03-2008, 10:10 AM

1,087 posts, read 2,342,094 times
Sorry to say, but your original posting makes no sense. Hispanics are not a race, they are not even a culture. The only thing Hispanics have in common is their language. Hispanics come in every color, white, brown, black and Asian. Every single Spanish speaking country has its own culture. Saying that Hispanics are discrimated against because of their race is not true.

All illegal immigrants, regarldess of their background, should be turn back to their country.

Old 10-03-2008, 10:17 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
Sorry to say, but your original posting makes no sense. Hispanics are not a race, they are not even a culture. The only thing Hispanics have in common is their language. Hispanics come in every color, white, brown, black and Asian. Every single Spanish speaking country has its own culture. Saying that Hispanics are discrimated against because of their race is not true.

All illegal immigrants, regarldess of their background, should be turn back to their country.
Aside from 'Hispanic' being a political only.........I do agree with you point by point.

I have met many Latinos who did not speak Spanish at all; they had even less comprehension of that language than myself and I only understand a smattering of it.

Old 10-03-2008, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Aside from 'Hispanic' being a political only.........I do agree with you point by point.

I have met many Latinos who did not speak Spanish at all; they had even less comprehension of that language than myself and I only understand a smattering of it.
*Aside from me thinking 'Hispanic' being a political only

careful, people are going to mistake it for fact instead of opinion. Just saying.

Old 10-03-2008, 04:24 PM

27,236 posts, read 40,279,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post

Kids speak English better than their parents do. Kids will translate things into English for me...but there's no need--since I speak Spanish fluently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration