U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 01:25 AM

9,716 posts, read 12,938,315 times

Advertisements

You know, I just realized something...

It's not because of illegals that salaries have fallen in the USA. It's because we have exported our manufacturing base.

Manufacturing used to pay good wages in the USA. Now, with all the trade agreements, it's easier and cheaper for a lot of manufacturing companies to produce products outside of the USA.

If the auto worker isn't making $40 an hour, he can't afford to hire "legal" nannies and housekeepers. He's going to go for the cheapest thing he can find -- which is probably someone illegal. Or he's going to buy the cheapest clothes made by sweatshop workers in another country. Anyway you look at it, he's not going to be able to afford products made in the USA if our wages are higher.

A lot of people don't like unions, but unions kept wages high in this country for a lot of years. The motion picture industry has a lot of strong unions and that is why you don't see a lot of $1 first run movies out there. They've kept the wages high in motion pictures. Once you work for the unions, it's almost impossible to take a non-union job.

Anyway, by not supporting "made in the USA" products" and by exporting our manufacturing base and by not supporting unions, we've really hurt the entire US economy. Salaries in the USA are not high if you compare them to Canada and Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2007, 01:32 AM

1,459 posts, read 4,040,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Did you ever stop and think that these people might be legal and not illegal immigrants? New vehicles, designer clothes and gold jewelry cost MONEY! They are also products produced by American companies -- so the American companies are making money selling to these Mexicans. There are no Mexican clothing designers and no Mexican car companies -- not that I know of anyway.
Well of course American companies are making money selling to these Mexicans, but TN is not CA. There's no work here that pays the kind of money needed to buy thses things...legal or illegal. Some of these people drive $50,000.00 vehicles. I don't know very many people around here with very good jobs can afford that. I don't think these Mexicans are here legal.

For some reason a very large number of mexican drug dealers/runners pick TN and KY. We have had a lot of drug arrest in TN, some major busts and not one was in the country legally. Do you suppose this is how they can afford those things. No fruit or strawberries here to pick.

Old 02-12-2007, 01:41 AM

1,459 posts, read 4,040,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
For every success story, I could probably find one that was mistakenly accused. I'm not saying they're all incorrect, but the fact is that it's a site where ANYONE can "contribute"... I don't trust it, for the same reason my professors didn't accept Wikipedia as a source - because any Joe Schmo can provide content. I read through some of that website, and many of them had "proof" that was merely opinion or ignorance (like thinking anyone who speaks Spanish is illegal).

Anybody can post on the site and put whatever they want on it, but an agency won't start any investigation based on opinion...they want facts/proof. Our local news stations will do investigations if they have proof, but not on someones opinion or hear say.

Old 02-12-2007, 02:06 AM

9,716 posts, read 12,938,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim280 View Post
Well of course American companies are making money selling to these Mexicans, but TN is not CA. There's no work here that pays the kind of money needed to buy thses things...legal or illegal. Some of these people drive $50,000.00 vehicles. I don't know very many people around here with very good jobs can afford that. I don't think these Mexicans are here legal.

They probably are in the USA legally then. You seem to forget: Tennessee is considered to be one of the most beautiful states in the USA. If they can afford a $50K vehicle, chances are they are living in a $1 million house.

Drug dealers don't buy that kind of thing. Most drug dealers have to give most of the money to their supplier. That's how it works for the illegal drug smuggler.

Old 02-12-2007, 03:13 AM

28,166 posts, read 43,444,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim280 View Post
Anybody can post on the site and put whatever they want on it, but an agency won't start any investigation based on opinion...they want facts/proof. Our local news stations will do investigations if they have proof, but not on someones opinion or hear say.
That's all well & good, but how many people wait to hear from the agencies?? Most will just read the "information" on that site, and take it to be the absolute truth... and that's why I still think it's a dangerous idea. The words "witch hunt" come to mind.

Old 02-12-2007, 06:05 AM

989 posts, read 5,324,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Tennessee is considered to be one of the most beautiful states in the USA. If they can afford a $50K vehicle, chances are they are living in a $1 million house.
You seem to forget one thing... There are very few good paying jobs in TN.
Therefore, $50k cars are probably driven by retirees.

Old 02-12-2007, 07:29 AM

3,712 posts, read 5,708,999 times
Illegal alilens often state they come to this country for a job, i.e., to make money. One of the quickest ways to make alot of money is to become involved in the drug trade. Some do this and may drive very expensive cars, etc.

Old 02-12-2007, 08:04 AM

1,701 posts, read 5,846,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
Illegal alilens often state they come to this country for a job, i.e., to make money. One of the quickest ways to make alot of money is to become involved in the drug trade. Some do this and may drive very expensive cars, etc.
The drug trade is a slither of the illegal immigration population. That's like me telling a Mexican in Mexico, some of the whites who come to Mexico could be in the KKK. The drug trade involves a few border gangs, and there's not a whole lot of people of involved, secrecy and greater profits for members. Small time drug dealers you will find in every race. The cost of living in Tenessee is not high, people can afford nice cars.

Old 02-12-2007, 09:13 AM

1,393 posts, read 869,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
They have made several drug bust last summer between Idaho and Oregon. It is known that drug dealers are sending people here and holding their families hostage in Mexico and these people are to grow and sell and if not the family dies or worse. So, when the pot farm is busted then, what? Is this what some of you support when illegals come here? Also, seems like the ones that support this activity of illegals coming for jobs don't seem to care what happens on their way here. If they are so poor where do they get the money to cross to pay the coyote?
There is a lot more to them getting here then, just making it across and by supporting them entering illegally you are also, not considering their dangers and the danger of their families.

Old 02-12-2007, 01:32 PM

1,701 posts, read 5,846,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newportbeachsmostwanted View Post
You seem to forget one thing... There are very few good paying jobs in TN.
Therefore, $50k cars are probably driven by retirees.
Think about it! Homes are more expensive than cars, that's why you see can see a blue collar worker with a tinted escalade. You are right about pay being less, but the car is alot cheaper. $50K car, lol, you folks must be on mercedesbenz.com.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or