Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 02:45 PM

1,469 posts, read 4,494,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
What products do you buy then? Hardly anything is made in the USA, so why don't you tell us what you buy? I'd be curious to know what you are spending your money on. Also, if you don't buy at Wal-Mart, where do you shop?

I'm going to tell you a story and I hope you will take this to heart. I used to work in Advertising. One of our big customers was having his product manufactured in Asia, then was having it shipped to the USA where illegals would put tags that said "Made in the USA" on the product. To me, this is terribly "not right" but he explained that the tag was "made in the USA" so to him, he wasn't violating any law. (This was 20 years ago. I don't know if he still does this.)

I suppose the equivalent would be American car companies that manufacture most of the auto components (and frequently, the entire car) outside of the USA -- but because they are an "American car company" we think we are getting a product made by Americans.
I'll shop any store but wal-mart, not only has wally world put many mom and pop groceries out of business... but electroincs mfg er's out as well. Remember a few years back when wally world went to court and fought against american companies for China? I remember it, it put people out of job here in TN.

I'm aware of the practice your talking about, products made in other countries and stamped/labeled *made in USA* that's been going on longer than 20 years. I'm also awawe there's products made in foreign countries that you can't avoid buying, that doesn't mean you're required to be a supporter of imported products. I support making as many products in the USA as possible, even if they do cost more... it provides jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2007, 04:22 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,168,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim280 View Post
These million dollar houses are on TV, not in TN. These guys are not street level dealers. One bust: $1.4 million, another bust $1 million, another bust $18,000.00 cash, 2 9mm hand guns in Cadillac Escapade(which was confiscated) searched drivers apt. one more arrested and $26,000.00 cash and 8 guns found. The list goes on. All mexicans arrested, so much for your South American theory. By the way, they were not retirees or in the country legal. That's how it works for the illegal drug smuggler in the real world.
Please point me to some links so I can check out how you KNOW they are Mexicans and not from somewhere else.

Old 02-13-2007, 04:32 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amavel View Post
I live in a very un-welfare area, and I can make lists and lists and lists of casual and hardcore drug users. Drug ab/use spans all racial and socioeconomic strata and is hardly caused by the welfare problem.

The fact remains: if Americans would stop consuming illegal narcotics, Mexican drug cartels would have to find a new market and/or rely solely on Europeans.
Mexican drug cartels do very little if any business in Europe.
You're thinking of Pakistanis, Turks, Albanians, Serbs, Russians, etc.

Old 02-13-2007, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Please point me to some links so I can check out how you KNOW they are Mexicans and not from somewhere else.

TN Highway Patrol 615-862-8600

Davidson County Sheriffs office 615-862-6640

Rutherford County Sheriffs office 615-898-7770

You can check with these people and see if they will give you that info., don't think they have a website that list the race/nationality/country of orgin of people they arrest.

Old 02-13-2007, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescue1 View Post
Jim you have stirred up the libs

It does seem like they're a bit riled up..LOL.

Old 02-13-2007, 08:31 PM

355 posts, read 842,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Mexican drug cartels do very little if any business in Europe.
You're thinking of Pakistanis, Turks, Albanians, Serbs, Russians, etc.
I should have made my point clearer, but I intended to convey that Mexican drug cartels receive most of their product from South America (especially Cocaine) and most often act merely as intermediaries. Continuing along the lines of cocaine (pun unintended, haha), Columbia produces about 75% of the world's yield and the U.S. consumes about half of the estimated 600 metric tons produced every year. Europe consumes about 150 metric tons or 25% of the whole.

I wouldn't assume that Mexican drug cartels do any business in Europe because of basic geography, but that's not to say that if the American market became extremely slow and closed off that they wouldn't take their South American product and tap into the European market.

Old 02-14-2007, 12:23 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
Quote:
I should have made my point clearer, but I intended to convey that Mexican drug cartels receive most of their product from South America (especially Cocaine) and most often act merely as intermediaries. Continuing along the lines of cocaine (pun unintended, haha), Columbia produces about 75% of the world's yield and the U.S. consumes about half of the estimated 600 metric tons produced every year. Europe consumes about 150 metric tons or 25% of the whole.

I wouldn't assume that Mexican drug cartels do any business in Europe because of basic geography, but that's not to say that if the American market became extremely slow and closed off that they wouldn't take their South American product and tap into the European market.
The Colombian cartels work with French and Italian mafias to distribute cocaine in Europe, which they have long established relations with.

FWIW, while Colombia is still the biggest exporter of hard drugs to the US, Mexico has been displaced from the #2 slot by Afghanistan (which is overwhelmingly #1 for exporting hard drugs to Europe) and is now #3. Thanks Bush ): So if the Mexicans no longer had a market in the US someone else would move in to serve that market, perhaps the Pakistanis (probably the most dangerous due to their ISI/Al Qaeda/Taliban links) or the Chinese Triads

Old 02-16-2007, 02:11 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,770,544 times
Quote:
Do they list individuals that rely on illegal labor to keep their homes and yards in good working order?

If you report them, I'm sure they will...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim280 View Post
It does seem like they're a bit riled up..LOL.
Yeah, the bleeding heart liberals are out howling at the moon again....

Last edited by Yac; 02-17-2007 at 03:56 AM.. Reason: merged

Old 02-18-2007, 05:51 PM

177 posts, read 898,720 times
Quote:
LINKS---------That is most of you peoples problem. Get in the real world people.
Look around you at what is happening. You can't know what is going on with out a LINK. Jim you need to circle the wagons.

Old 02-18-2007, 06:46 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,466,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texanborn View Post
Yeah, the bleeding heart liberals are out howling at the moon again....
LOL. I'm a conservative Republican and I don't take a hard line on illegal immigration even though I'm against it. There are people who cross party lines. haha You folks watch too many big names on T.V. to settle your broad, generalized opinion on certain issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration