Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 05:22 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,099,591 times

Advertisements

Hispanic is not a race. It is a made up category invented by the census bureau to apply to a group of people, many of whom have nothing in common but a language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 05:51 PM

638 posts, read 1,847,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioNative View Post
Hispanic is not a race. It is a made up category invented by the census bureau to apply to a group of people, many of whom have nothing in common but a language.
Good point.

I think the Spanish in Spain would prefer Hispanics didn't include them in Hispanic anyway.

Please correct :
* remove National Hispanic Month because of the confusion, or call it, National category invented by the census beaurau to apply to a group of people, many of whom have nothing in common but a language Month.
* Pew Hispanic Center should change it's name to "Pew category invented by the census beaurau to apply to a group of people, many of whom have nothing in common but a language Center
* etc.

I just now realized why illegal aliens weren't acurately filling out the census, because they're not Hispanics. The world makes so much sense when you use political correctness.

Old 09-29-2008, 06:06 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,112,858 times
Quote:
Actually; 'Hispanic' is a political label only---------many Latinos do not speak Spanish.

Old 09-29-2008, 06:17 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,549,167 times
Quote:
Sounds pretty darn confusing, now that you've explained it. I'm going to have to give some serious consideration to changing my 'M.O.' from all-around annoyance and grumpiness toward Hispanics, (since apparently there's no clear definition of what they ARE).

How about if I just concentrate on being annoyed and grumpy about "illegals", instead? Now THAT's a concept I can easily understand.

Old 09-29-2008, 09:05 PM

608 posts, read 923,119 times
I guess according to many pro-illegals I must hate ALL races then. (If as they often say that being against illegal immigration is the result of being a racist.) By the way...Would that make me a self-hating white boy?

Old 09-30-2008, 12:43 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,042,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Absolutely! I guess I’m expected to embrace the ‘mythical’ black/brown unity, and the millions of so-called ‘brown’ illegal aliens. I don’t care what ‘color’ illegals are. I want them ALL to leave; and that includes illegals of African descent. If that makes me a race traitor, so be it.
I on the other hand support immigration reform for all. This includes Europeans, Asians, Africans, Australians and any other group, not just Latino Americans. I am not supporting any one group. I do not believe that being against legalization of immigrants makes one racist.

Old 09-30-2008, 02:17 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,750,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Actually; 'Hispanic' is a political label only---------many Latinos do not speak Spanish.
Have you found anything to back that up yet, or you still just throwing it out like its a fact?

Latino cultures all have a lot of strong ties, not to mention today with many pop culture ties.
Example: those novelas you frequently mention? They may be watched by Mexicans, but they can be made anywhere. Some are from Columbia, some from Mexico, and from other places.
Univision and Telemundo are both influenced by Puerto Rico and Cubans, but is watched by Latinos all over.

Hispanic and Latino is a cultural term, Arizona Bear.
Its all the countries in Latin American(and sometimes Spain) that were under Spanish rule for a long period, gained a lot of common Spanish influence, blended it with the cultures of the Amerindians and Africans, and shared it between the different countries.

People in America that are known as Latino/Hispanic have ancestry or are from those areas that have that influence and culture.

Most importantly, many people identify as Latino, and identify Latino culture.

Who are you to brush it off as "just a political term"?

Maybe youve only recognized it and experienced it as a "political term", but thats you. I'd go with the millions upon millions of people who identify as Latino and recognize it as a culture(made of many), as well as all the other scholars who consider it a culture, over your self-made definition.

A lot of times, you make it obvious you are speaking from the outside looking in, and making lots of assumptions and treating them as facts. Example: your theory that native americans and Mexicans generally dont get along because of one or two of your friends.

Another example is judging Mexico on a few minutes in TJ, and vowing never to go back based on those few minutes.

I'm not trying to be too disrespectful, but you shouldn't make comments on a culture when your experience is very limited, because the way you say things, people might mistake them for fact.

Old 09-30-2008, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Have you found anything to back that up yet, or you still just throwing it out like its a fact?

Latino cultures all have a lot of strong ties, not to mention today with many pop culture ties.
Example: those novelas you frequently mention? They may be watched by Mexicans, but they can be made anywhere. Some are from Columbia, some from Mexico, and from other places.
Univision and Telemundo are both influenced by Puerto Rico and Cubans, but is watched by Latinos all over.

Hispanic and Latino is a cultural term, Arizona Bear.
Its all the countries in Latin American(and sometimes Spain) that were under Spanish rule for a long period, gained a lot of common Spanish influence, blended it with the cultures of the Amerindians and Africans, and shared it between the different countries.

People in America that are known as Latino/Hispanic have ancestry or are from those areas that have that influence and culture.

Most importantly, many people identify as Latino, and identify Latino culture.

Who are you to brush it off as "just a political term"?

Maybe youve only recognized it and experienced it as a "political term", but thats you. I'd go with the millions upon millions of people who identify as Latino and recognize it as a culture(made of many), as well as all the other scholars who consider it a culture, over your self-made definition.

A lot of times, you make it obvious you are speaking from the outside looking in, and making lots of assumptions and treating them as facts. Example: your theory that native americans and Mexicans generally dont get along because of one or two of your friends.

Another example is judging Mexico on a few minutes in TJ, and vowing never to go back based on those few minutes.

I'm not trying to be too disrespectful, but you shouldn't make comments on a culture when your experience is very limited, because the way you say things, people might mistake them for fact.
I stand by what I said.

Again: find the 'Hispanic' genes on any Latino's DNA. Till that can be proven; I still stand by that 'Hispanic' is a political label only. FYI: I have known many Latinos who could not speak Spanish---------period.

In fact: about 20 years in California, I said something in Spanish to a Latina I knew-----------she looked at me in confusion due to her knowing even less than me. Another example was a 'Scots-Irish' (their last name was as 'Hispanic' as MacPhearson) family outside of Wash DC; the father was (and looked) Mexican American, all 4 of his daughters looked stereotypically 'Latina' (Mestizo) yet the family did not follow any 'Hispanic' customs. They were Presbyterian, English speaking and did not know what Mexican food was, etc.

Old 09-30-2008, 11:02 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,750,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I stand by what I said.

Again: find the 'Hispanic' genes on any Latino's DNA. Till that can be proven; I still stand by that 'Hispanic' is a political label only. FYI: I have known many Latinos who could not speak Spanish---------period.

In fact: about 20 years in California, I said something in Spanish to a Latina I knew-----------she looked at me in confusion due to her knowing even less than me. Another example was a 'Scots-Irish' (their last name was as 'Hispanic' as MacPhearson) family outside of Wash DC; the father was (and looked) Mexican American, all 4 of his daughters looked stereotypically 'Latina' (Mestizo) yet the family did not follow any 'Hispanic' customs. They were Presbyterian, English speaking and did not know what Mexican food was, etc.
What does DNA have to do with it being cultural?
Do you honestly only hear Latino in a "political" context?

Old 09-30-2008, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
What does DNA have to do with it being cultural?
Do you honestly only hear Latino in a "political" context?
Yes.

Some years ago some 'La Raza' advocacy group was up in arms about an English actor (Alfred Molina) portray a Hispanic in the 'Perez Family'---------never mind that Molina's heritage was Spanish and Italian.

Too a while back; another Englishman (Felipe Fernandez-Armesto) had a run in with the Atlanta, Ga. police for jaywalking (it is not illegal to jaywalk in the UK)---------where were the bleeding heart Latino groups then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration