U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 08:17 AM

3,640 posts, read 4,316,331 times

Advertisements

Of course this is not what any thinking American wants their community be like. It is time and we are going to take back our communities one at a time. Beware illegals because America has had it with you.

[SIZE=3]Immigration issue polarizes suburban America [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
MANASSAS -- It's patrol day for Maureen Wood and Allison Kipp. Armed with a notebook and cell phone, the two friends set off in a minivan in search of changes they don't like in their hometown. Hispanic men gather at a 7-Eleven. Graffiti sprouts on a back fence. The women catalog it all, planning to take up each item with local authorities. "This isn't who we are," says Kipp, disgust clouding her face. "This isn't what we want our community to be like."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 08:35 AM

8,973 posts, read 14,640,529 times
I'm afraid the ladies are in for a long, tough, uphill battle. Men gathering at the 7-11? No law against that, certainly....and makes the complainant look just a little 'crochety' even to bring it up. Grafitti? I'll have to agree...nobody I know likes this, and no, it isn't the way MOST people want to 'see' their neighborhood.

The ladies are facing one overwhelming obstacle, though...and that is the factor of 'race'. As long as 'their neighborhood' (that is, the local established residents), and the 'new people', (the ones they're complaining about) are perceived in the mind of the public as being of Separate Races, then that fact will 'trump' the whole issue, and will silence all other arguments.

Race will ALWAYS take precedence in such a controversy..it will be seen as the central point of conflict, more important than anything else, including even the legality/ illegality of the 'newcomers'. The argument is ALWAYS going to be reduced, in its simplest terms, to one side saying "I don't like the negative changes in my neighborhood, and I blame the recent arrival of illegals"....and the opposing side saying "those negative changes are largely the product of your overactive imagination, and mostly the work of your own neighbors and teenagers...what REALLY upsets you is the RACE of the newcomers. It causes you to instantly dislike them, and to assume they're illegally here".

If anyone can think of a way to settle THAT argument, I'm sure we'd all love to hear from you.

Old 09-29-2008, 09:22 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,690,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I'm afraid the ladies are in for a long, tough, uphill battle. Men gathering at the 7-11? No law against that, certainly....and makes the complainant look just a little 'crochety' even to bring it up. Grafitti? I'll have to agree...nobody I know likes this, and no, it isn't the way MOST people want to 'see' their neighborhood.

The ladies are facing one overwhelming obstacle, though...and that is the factor of 'race'. As long as 'their neighborhood' (that is, the local established residents), and the 'new people', (the ones they're complaining about) are perceived in the mind of the public as being of Separate Races, then that fact will 'trump' the whole issue, and will silence all other arguments.

Race will ALWAYS take precedence in such a controversy..it will be seen as the central point of conflict, more important than anything else, including even the legality/ illegality of the 'newcomers'. The argument is ALWAYS going to be reduced, in its simplest terms, to one side saying "I don't like the negative changes in my neighborhood, and I blame the recent arrival of illegals"....and the opposing side saying "those negative changes are largely the product of your overactive imagination, and mostly the work of your own neighbors and teenagers...what REALLY upsets you is the RACE of the newcomers. It causes you to instantly dislike them, and to assume they're illegally here".

If anyone can think of a way to settle THAT argument, I'm sure we'd all love to hear from you.
One way around the 'race' problem is to use either Black or especially people who are part American Indian (and look it) instead of Nordic White folks-------------then the Mestizo Hispanic race card would backfire.

Old 09-29-2008, 09:23 AM

8,180 posts, read 11,055,126 times
Quote:

The interjection of race into the illegal immigration debate is a manufactured one intended to intimidate people from protesting against illegals in their community. And it has worked. The worst slur a white person can get is being called a racist....it can have implications in their social life as well as their employment, and most whites won't risk the stigma.
Things are changing, though. The label of racism has been overused to the point it is almost meaningless --- and that is a damn shame, as there are still racists out there that need to be called out. Also, as the economy tanks, people are not going to care about being called a racist, in fact they may start to embrace the label. And that is dangerous, and I blame groups like laraza for putting this into motion.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:27 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,844,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
One way around the 'race' problem is to use either Black or especially people who are part American Indian (and look it) instead of Nordic White folks-------------then the Mestizo Hispanic race card would backfire.
Intellectually, this makes sense. However, as evidenced by the numerous accusations lodged against me, a black woman, by pro-illegals on this forum, I doubt that black opposition will deter pro-illegals from using the race card.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:33 AM

8,973 posts, read 14,640,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Intellectually, this makes sense. However, as evidenced by the numerous accusations lodged against me, a black woman, by pro-illegals on this forum, I doubt that black opposition will deter pro-illegals from using the race card.
That's right...in their minds, your opinion won't count, because in embracing a position opposed to illegals, you're obviously "not thinking like you SHOULD think"....there's no real 'way out' of such a situation, as long as there are those who believe that one's race determines one's thinking and behavior.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:00 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,844,279 times
Quote:
That's right...in their minds, your opinion won't count, because in embracing a position opposed to illegals, you're obviously "not thinking like you SHOULD think"....there's no real 'way out' of such a situation, as long as there are those who believe that one's race determines one's thinking and behavior.
Absolutely! I guess I’m expected to embrace the ‘mythical’ black/brown unity, and the millions of so-called ‘brown’ illegal aliens. I don’t care what ‘color’ illegals are. I want them ALL to leave; and that includes illegals of African descent. If that makes me a race traitor, so be it.

Old 09-29-2008, 02:53 PM

Quote:
I catch your drift. The flip side is that Black Americans are becoming the 'new' White Boys in the eyes of MEChA, etc. now that Black-(Anglo) White prejudice is fading away one minute at a time.

And what may be the last major nail in the coffin that contains Jim Crow is if Obama wins come November----------which is becoming increasingly likely with the imploding economy. More and more bigoted blue collar White people basically feel they have been stabbed in the back by Bush---------which does not reflect well on McCain so Obama is looking better and better as the lesser of two evils.

Old 09-29-2008, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Absolutely! I guess I’m expected to embrace the ‘mythical’ black/brown unity, and the millions of so-called ‘brown’ illegal aliens. I don’t care what ‘color’ illegals are. I want them ALL to leave; and that includes illegals of African descent. If that makes me a race traitor, so be it.
Race traitor here too: I want the illegal Irish, Poles etc. gone as well.

Old 09-29-2008, 05:59 PM

638 posts, read 1,641,188 times
re: sign

"Stop your racism to Hispanics"

Bleh!

Hispanics can reap what they've sewn in distain and distrust due to their support of illegal aliens. If we (Americans) don't know the difference between illegal aliens and Hispanics, it's because Hispanics have said there is no difference. Hispanics need to clean up their own mess before pointing any fingers. Hypocrites!

And if Guadencio Fernandez (maker of the sign) is an illegal alien, arrest him.

OT: Lisa Johnson-Firth and her law partner hung out their shingle in picturesque Manassas last year. Since word got around that they were taking immigration cases, they've been flooded with work.

Immigration Lawyer offices sound like a great place to audit illegal alien activity, and make arrests, which includes the attorneys for aiding and abetting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration