U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2008, 01:19 PM

499 posts, read 1,371,864 times

Advertisements

Looking for Mexico manufacturing? Discover maquiladoras cost saving benefits at Made In Mexico, Inc.

Can't believe this website! At first I thought it was a joke.

Makes you wonder why so many Mexicans still come here. But then I guess being illegal in the U.S. is still better than working at these hell holes that advertise 75% labor cost savings! The true enemy here is the U.S. business owner that takes advantage. I respect the illegal alien much more than I would them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 09:10 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,962,422 times
What you fail to understand is that by being cost-competitive, Mexican maquiladoras can thus become lucrative to companies that normally outsource to ultra-cheap China. By manufacturing in Mexico, companies deal with a more transparent government, save on transportation and logistics costs, and source 90% of their raw materials from, you guessed it, the United States, which helps us out over here in the North. Plus maquiladoras offer jobs to Mexican workers, cover their lunch and insurance costs, and offer steady employment.

A win for Mexico is a win for the U.S., since our economies are so intertwined. An economically stronger Mexico means less problems with illegal immigrants, does it not? And thus lies the true solution to this illegal alien problem we have, not throwing away millions on useless border fences.

Old 09-29-2008, 09:21 PM

608 posts, read 791,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidicarus89 View Post
What you fail to understand is that by being cost-competitive, Mexican maquiladoras can thus become lucrative to companies that normally outsource to ultra-cheap China. By manufacturing in Mexico, companies deal with a more transparent government, save on transportation and logistics costs, and source 90% of their raw materials from, you guessed it, the United States, which helps us out over here in the North. Plus maquiladoras offer jobs to Mexican workers, cover their lunch and insurance costs, and offer steady employment.

A win for Mexico is a win for the U.S., since our economies are so intertwined. An economically stronger Mexico means less problems with illegal immigrants, does it not? And thus lies the true solution to this illegal alien problem we have, not throwing away millions on useless border fences.
I normally don't agree with you on many things but I have to admit that if Mexico's economy were to improve there'd be less incentive for them to run into the USA. However, there are many reasons that illegals chose to enter the US. (They're not ALL here for the right reasons you know.) Considering current issues regarding Mexican gang activity, the Gulf Cartell, the possibility of foreign terrorists coming from south of the boarder, etc a wall is absolutely neessary to protect our citizens.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:47 PM

499 posts, read 1,371,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidicarus89 View Post

What YOU fail to understand is that ALL outsourcing of American jobs to ANY country right now is bad for our house-of-cards economy! You must be a Bush/Cheney 'Pub. Go sell your crap to someone else who is not informed about these issues. Even a fifth grader should understand that the loss of millions of manufacturing jobs in this nation since 2000 has caused us to be in a state of economic peril! People working harder/longer for less money/benefits and tax bases being decimated.

And I'm sure those maquiladoras are really great places to work! If you were talking about a neighbor like Canada that isn't borderline third world and doesn't trounce on workers' rights then I might buy some of your argument! NAFTA and the free trade thing was supposed to help bring nations like Mexico up to higher standards, but it is bringing ours down and people like you are part to blame! I truly doubt you have ever lost a job due to free trade. I have.

And the true solution for the illegal alien problem is to enforce the laws we already have and fine employers who knowingly hire them. This is common sense. And you know as well as I do that the border fence was never really conceived to achieve the purpose of keeping out illegals. It is all a political hoax.

Old 09-30-2008, 04:54 AM

3,071 posts, read 3,334,721 times
Before you start bashing Republicans for NAFTA, remember it was signed into law by President Clinton. President Clinton Signing NAFTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by roncorey1 View Post
What YOU fail to understand is that ALL outsourcing of American jobs to ANY country right now is bad for our house-of-cards economy! You must be a Bush/Cheney 'Pub. Go sell your crap to someone else who is not informed about these issues. Even a fifth grader should understand that the loss of millions of manufacturing jobs in this nation since 2000 has caused us to be in a state of economic peril! People working harder/longer for less money/benefits and tax bases being decimated.

And I'm sure those maquiladoras are really great places to work! If you were talking about a neighbor like Canada that isn't borderline third world and doesn't trounce on workers' rights then I might buy some of your argument! NAFTA and the free trade thing was supposed to help bring nations like Mexico up to higher standards, but it is bringing ours down and people like you are part to blame! I truly doubt you have ever lost a job due to free trade. I have.

And the true solution for the illegal alien problem is to enforce the laws we already have and fine employers who knowingly hire them. This is common sense. And you know as well as I do that the border fence was never really conceived to achieve the purpose of keeping out illegals. It is all a political hoax.

Old 09-30-2008, 05:16 AM

7,734 posts, read 7,251,776 times
UGH. The vast majority of trade imbalance with Mexico is *OIL*.

I cant believe people screaming about a mexican mouse in one corner when there is a Chinese Tyrannosaurus Rex in the other corner.

Factories left Mexico because it was too expensive. See Levi Strauss for an example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration