Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 08:32 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,029,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
They stated in the news article that the social security cards were of such good fake quality that it was easy to see how the Days Inn staff was fooled. When you run those cards the report you get basicaly just tells you that the SS#is valid; it doesn't provide other data that would help determine if it was being used fraudulently or not.
Just running this guy's SSN against the national registry is not a good enough background check when he is being issued a key that gives him access to anyone's room at any time.

There is no excuse for the hotel not dropping big money on a THOROUGH check of his criminal, credit, and employment records.

Would you give a stranger off the street a key to your house just because you are under the assumption that he has a valid SSN?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 08:36 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,029,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
My thoughts are with the family of this young woman.

Coming over to the Knoxville forum, when you live elsewhere, to make statements about illegal immigrants, is suspect, in my humble opinion.
I lived 18 years of my life in the Knoxville area, which is more than probably 75% of the people on this forum. I'll come here to talk about whatever I want. Go to the forums for San Francisco or some other sanctuary city if you want to read posts that are sympathetic rather than rightly critical of illegal immigration.

Old 10-02-2008, 08:45 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,008,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitties of Domination View Post
I just see it as a non-point. Its more permissible for a citizen to commit a crime than an immigrant? A murder is a murder and the illegal immigrant aspect is just another outlet for scapegoating.
No, but it's more likely he's using fake Identification to hide a criminal past even if the hotel/motel did a check.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:32 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,319,846 times
This is an awful situation! I feel so bad for the family of this young lady.
We do need to put this in a bit of perspective for the hotel owner/manager that hired this person. Not disagreeing that they should have been thorough in their back ground search. However with the fair employment acts and non discrimination acts that are in place in this country, if this employer thought even for a minute that this person could be an illegal immigrant, seeing as he was furnished with the ID and information required, nothing came up on the check that was done and did not hire him, he could have been brought up on discrimination charges. All it takes is an anonymous phone call that says they person felt discriminated against in the interview process and that manger/owner could have had an investigation on their hands.
The blame here solely lies on the man who did this awful crime, no one else.
The sad part is that the only punishment will now be that he is deported and return back to this country at a later time with a new SS# and again showing a clean record.
Justis will not be served for this poor lady and her family.

Old 10-02-2008, 01:24 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,233,138 times
I hadn't heard about this story. My heart goes out to the family of the woman.

Old 10-02-2008, 03:08 PM

13,353 posts, read 39,959,401 times
Quote:
I just see it as a non-point. Its more permissible for a citizen to commit a crime than an immigrant? A murder is a murder and the illegal immigrant aspect is just another outlet for scapegoating.
It's tragic no matter who killed that poor woman. To me, this isn't a political issue at all, and I don't see the OP's post as being political. It is, however, newsworthy when someone lies and cheats their way into a job and then kills someone.

I wish to God that the victim had not just locked her motel room door but had also bolted it shut. If that Days Inn didn't have dead bolts on their hotel room doors, some slick lawyer will surely sue the hotel owners into oblivion.

I am moved by the generosity shown by Knoxvillians toward the victim's family. Assuming the fellow in custody is the one who did it, I hope justice will be administered swiftly and that the defendant won't merely be shipped back to Mexico. But more importantly, I hope we all remember the victim's family in our prayers and make a little donation for them at SunTrust since it's likely they'll be spending a lot of time in Knoxville during the trial.

Old 10-02-2008, 04:33 PM

780 posts, read 1,765,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
It's tragic no matter who killed that poor woman. To me, this isn't a political issue at all, and I don't see the OP's post as being political. It is, however, newsworthy when someone lies and cheats their way into a job and then kills someone.

I wish to God that the victim had not just locked her motel room door but had also bolted it shut. If that Days Inn didn't have dead bolts on their hotel room doors, some slick lawyer will surely sue the hotel owners into oblivion.

I am moved by the generosity shown by Knoxvillians toward the victim's family. Assuming the fellow in custody is the one who did it, I hope justice will be administered swiftly and that the defendant won't merely be shipped back to Mexico. But more importantly, I hope we all remember the victim's family in our prayers and make a little donation for them at SunTrust since it's likely they'll be spending a lot of time in Knoxville during the trial.
My understanding from the news is that the bolt was broken and no one fixed it, they said it wouldnt have held.

Old 10-02-2008, 08:19 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,780,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post

I would not have been suspicious had the poster not repeatedly put "illegal immigrant" is caps. Then he pulls some more ignorant rhetoric out of his cap by saying that a city like San Francisco may be more sympathetic to the immigrant (?). I guess San Francisco symbolizes the antithesis of this individual's values in some way? I will stop here...

Old 10-02-2008, 09:20 PM

13,353 posts, read 39,959,401 times
Quote:
I would not have been suspicious had the poster not repeatedly put "illegal immigrant" is caps. Then he pulls some more ignorant rhetoric out of his cap by saying that a city like San Francisco may be more sympathetic to the immigrant (?). I guess San Francisco symbolizes the antithesis of this individual's values in some way? I will stop here...
Pimpy is not the one who called San Francisco a "sanctuary city" for illegal immigrants. It was SF's mayor Gavin Newsom who did so in an official press release on April 2 stating that San Francisco city employees will not cooperate with immigration agents and will not report undocumented immigrants to authorities.

I'm glad KPD doesn't have that kind of moronic policy.

Old 10-02-2008, 10:04 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,780,073 times
"I'll come here to talk about whatever I want".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration