Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 08:10 AM

7,025 posts, read 11,409,544 times

Advertisements

CUIDAD HIDALGO, Mexico — After nearly seven years in the United States, 16-year-old Edgar Gutierrez was back in a hometown he hardly recognized.

He returned to relatives he couldn't remember. Kids thought he was stuck up because he had lived in the United States. Teachers scolded him when he pronounced his name with an American accent. Edgar grew up in these mountains of Central Mexico, but now he felt like a stranger.

Edgar and his family, who moved back after years in Atlanta, are among a fast-growing number of undocumented immigrants who are returning to Mexico to start over. Some are drawn by a desire to return home after meeting their financial goals; many more are pushed by the faltering U.S. economy and tough local laws aimed at illegal immigrants.

Coming back to their hometowns, mostly in rural Mexico, they find the same grinding poverty that originally drove them out. Returning migrants face a gauntlet of challenges, from finding a new job to reconnecting with family and friends.

But experts say the burden falls most heavily on the children, who spent their formative years in American schools, watching American TV, wearing American clothes and listening to American music.

They are returning to a homeland they know through stories and photos. Some speak no Spanish. Others speak both Spanish and English with an accent.

For most, the biggest challenge is adapting to a different educational system. Parents and migrant advocates say these kids risk falling through the cracks when they return.

http://www.statesman.com/news/content/shared/news/stories/2008/09/MEXICO_RETURNKIDS05 (broken link)

They are merely getting a taste of how Americans feel. We've been forced to press 2 for English and live with the crime and birth rates of a 3rd world country. Here's hoping they take what they've learned here and use it to overthrow the oligarchies and make Mexico a civilized place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2008, 09:33 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times
Oh cry me a river. When I was 10, my family moved from a small town near Pittsburgh to DC. I had to leave all of my friends, and many family members. I knew absolutely no one in DC other than my aunt and uncle and three cousins, all whom lived across town. I was teased in the neighborhood and at school because the kids said “I spoke proper.” When I first returned to PA to visit, the kids said they thought I would be “stuck up” because I now lived in DC.

Within one year, I had made lots of new friends, and everyone accepted my “properness.” To this day, I am still friends with some of the 'kids' from my first neighborhood in DC. The moral of the story. . . . kids adapt, and life goes on.

Old 10-04-2008, 09:41 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Oh cry me a river. When I was 10, my family moved from a small town near Pittsburgh to DC. I had to leave all of my friends, and many family members. I knew absolutely no one in DC other than my aunt and uncle and three cousins, all whom lived across town. I was teased in the neighborhood and at school because the kids said “I spoke proper.” When I first returned to PA to visit, the kids said they thought I would be “stuck up” because I now lived in DC.

Within one year, I had made lots of new friends, and everyone accepted my “properness.” To this day, I am still friends with some of the 'kids' from my first neighborhood in DC. The moral of the story. . . . kids adapt, and life goes on.
The bolded part does infuriate me: how so many of the 'ignorant ones' tried to make you the outcast for following Booker Taliaferro Washington's path vs. the 1970's equivalent of a 'gangsta rapper'.

Old 10-04-2008, 10:21 AM

7,025 posts, read 11,409,544 times
Quote:

Agreed. I am one of many who can relate to everything you have stated.!

Old 10-04-2008, 02:39 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,342,908 times
I say ... good bye, good riddens, and don't EVER come back!

Old 10-04-2008, 03:41 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times
Quote:

I STILL think you speak too 'proper'. If you moved next door to ME, we'd straighten you out in a hurry....'round THESE here parts, we don't much hold with all that 'proper talk'....we generally just "tell it like it is", put on our pants 'one leg at a time', and we don't belch...we BURP !! Proper, SCHMOPPER, the way WE look at it.

Old 10-04-2008, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I STILL think you speak too 'proper'. If you moved next door to ME, we'd straighten you out in a hurry....'round THESE here parts, we don't much hold with all that 'proper talk'....we generally just "tell it like it is", put on our pants 'one leg at a time', and we don't belch...we BURP !! Proper, SCHMOPPER, the way WE look at it.
LOL! Funny, in spite of the incessant taunts, I NEVER had to fight anyone after moving from PA. The fact that I wouldn’t ‘back down’ caused others to respect me. Although I was small in stature, I was big in “mouth.”

BTW, I think I would do just fine in your 'neck of the woods.' I’m like a ‘proper’ chameleon, and I do know how to have a good time.

Old 10-04-2008, 04:07 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times
Quote:
LOL! Funny, in spite of the incessant taunts, I NEVER had to fight anyone after moving from PA. The fact that I wouldn’t ‘back down’ caused others to respect me. Although I was small in stature, I was big in “mouth.”

BTW, I think I would do just fine in your 'neck of the woods.' I’m like a ‘proper’ chameleon, and I do know how to have a good time.
Yes, you'd probably fit in well here, given your 'chameleon' qualities. If you can enjoy Chicken a la'Orange, without being TOO picky about just who SUPPLIED the chicken (or how it was obtained).....and if you can accompany it with a selection from our wine list, even if that selection comes in a bottle with a 'screw cap', then you could probably easily fit into our barbecues...where we discuss world affairs, politics, Greek philosophers, and "all kinds of sh*t like that"..

Old 10-04-2008, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Yes, you'd probably fit in well here, given your 'chameleon' qualities. If you can enjoy Chicken a la'Orange, without being TOO picky about just who SUPPLIED the chicken (or how it was obtained).....and if you can accompany it with a selection from our wine list, even if that selection comes in a bottle with a 'screw cap', then you could probably easily fit into our barbecues...where we discuss world affairs, politics, Greek philosophers, and "all kinds of sh*t like that"..
Screw cap? You sound like my kinda people.

Old 10-04-2008, 04:17 PM

608 posts, read 923,674 times
Quote:
Screw cap? You sound like my kinda people.
I don't have any wine but I'll bring some cans of beer if that's ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration