U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 07:54 PM

1,701 posts, read 5,846,862 times

Advertisements

Everyone knows and believes illegal immigrants crossing the border have broken the law. If they haven't, let's just assume. Many believe they should deserve a punishment ranging from a fine to imprisonment, including myself to a small degree. But, do we realize where they come from, the situation, their homeland, their desperation? What would you say to personal responsibility of ones's family above breaking the law? Don't many Americans believe providing for one's family is their upmost responsiblity, tell me why illegal immigrants would have a different thought pattern. I don't think illegal immigrants are receiving a fair shake, this should help clear up why so many foreign born folks cross the U.S. border every year for higher wages and a better life. This does not clear them of breaking the law, but helps us understand their circumstance, and not misunderstand why they make the journey to America.

Old 02-11-2007, 08:12 PM

1,735 posts, read 4,136,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
Everyone knows and believes illegal immigrants crossing the border have broken the law. If they haven't, let's just assume. Many believe they should deserve a punishment ranging from a fine to imprisonment, including myself to a small degree. But, do we realize where they come from, the situation, their homeland, their desperation? What would you say to personal responsibility of ones's family above breaking the law? Don't many Americans believe providing for one's family is their upmost responsiblity, tell me why illegal immigrants would have a different thought pattern. I don't think illegal immigrants are receiving a fair shake, this should help clear up why so many foreign born folks cross the U.S. border every year for higher wages and a better life. This does not clear them of breaking the law, but helps us understand their circumstance, and not misunderstand why they make the journey to America.
The desperation you speak of is a sad problem, but bringing it here is no solution.
It’s one thing to help your neighbor, but how many of your neighbors are you willing to help out?
What is the breaking point?
Would you allow your other neighbors to lose their jobs so you could feel good that you are helping someone from another country feed their family?
It’s sad that our neighbor from the south is so desperate that they have to sneak into this country to feed their family, but driving down everyone’s wages and standard of living so they can do it is not the solution.

Old 02-11-2007, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC View Post
Would you allow your other neighbors to lose their jobs so you could feel good that you are helping someone from another country feed their family?
I'm curious, what personal friend has this occured to?! Do you have statistical evidence?! I do appreciate your past argument, it was respectful.

Old 02-11-2007, 08:25 PM

Quote:
I'm curious, what personal friend has this occured to?! Do you have statistical evidence?! I do appreciate your past argument, it was respectful.
My next door neighbors son for one. He installed drywall for over 20 years and made a decent living until the invasion. Now he can only make 1/3 of the money he use to make and only if he speaks Spanish.

Old 02-11-2007, 08:28 PM

Quote:
My next door neighbors son for one. He installed drywall for over 20 years and made a decent living until the . Now he can only make 1/3 of the money he use to make and only if he speaks Spanish.
That's too bad, I feel for him. He has the ability to attend school and find another job.

Old 02-11-2007, 08:48 PM

Quote:
That's too bad, I feel for him. He has the ability to attend school and find another job.
Your right, he can find another job.
I know you don’t have much work experience, but try to picture you’re 20 years older and you have worked at the same kind of job for that time. This job is one you like to do it gives you satisfaction and provides you a life style that you are comfortable with. Some people like to do the same thing, it is comfortable, familiar, they don’t embrace change. Now tell this person that they have to accept lower pay or go back to school and start over. After school he still won’t make the money he was use to making.
Starting over in your 20's is one thing, in your 40's or older is quite another.

Old 02-11-2007, 08:51 PM

Why is he being paid 1/3rd now? Are their other illegal immigrants who have their own drywall business?! It figures if hiring illegal immigrants or working solo, he would make even more.

Old 02-11-2007, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Why is he being paid 1/3rd now? Are their other illegal immigrants who have their own drywall business?! It figures if hiring illegal immigrants or working solo, he would make even more.
Not everyone is cut out or capable of running a business. There are some people that would rather just work and go home to their families. He is one example.

Old 02-11-2007, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Not everyone is cut out or capable of running a business. There are some people that would rather just work and go home to their families. He is one example.
Oh I see, he was a low end construction worker. Yeah that sucks, I could see that easily happening in that position in construction. Well, if he's having troubling providing for him and his family, he has the opportunity to start his own business. He knows English, and he encompasses a brain. I'm willing to hear other examples if you have them, I think this mostly occurs in construction and manafacturing positions. But on the other side, think about the millions and millions of illegal immigrants who are sending money back home to help those in the homeland and are enjoying a better life for themselves and possibly their family.

Old 02-11-2007, 09:10 PM

I think sometimes Americans only look at their situations and not others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or