U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2008, 06:40 AM

485 posts, read 1,627,676 times

Advertisements

Experts tell us that the American economy is heading towards a very deep recession with unemployment up to 10% nationally and over 20% in some communities.

Both Presidential Candidates say they are going to push for comprehensive immigration reform in 2009, which will give amnesty to the 12-25 million illegal aliens in our country.

What effect will the crashing economy have on illegal immigration and the politics of immigration reform?

I see two options:

Businesses will be under so much pressure to cut costs that the only people they hire will be immigrants.

Regular American born folks will be so desparate for a job (any job) that they will start competing for the types of jobs immigrants have started to do, that the employers will have to start hiring Americans due to political pressure. (this will leave large number of immigrants unemployed and desparate and this will cause many to go back home but others will turn to crime)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 07:07 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee56 View Post
Experts tell us that the American economy is heading towards a very deep recession with unemployment up to 10% nationally and over 20% in some communities.

Both Presidential Candidates say they are going to push for comprehensive immigration reform in 2009, which will give amnesty to the 12-25 million illegal aliens in our country.

What effect will the crashing economy have on illegal immigration and the politics of immigration reform?

I see two options:

Businesses will be under so much pressure to cut costs that the only people they hire will be immigrants.

Regular American born folks will be so desparate for a job (any job) that they will start competing for the types of jobs immigrants have started to do, that the employers will have to start hiring Americans due to political pressure. (this will leave large number of immigrants unemployed and desparate and this will cause many to go back home but others will turn to crime)
The pressure will be unbelievable to really start cracking down on the illegal immigrants-------------trust me.

American culture: slow to anger; but once enraged--------------watch out!

Old 10-06-2008, 08:08 AM

8,180 posts, read 11,035,044 times
I foresee a lot of anger, especially if illegal immigrant groups start to protest once again about the unfairness of any anger or hatred directed their way by americans.

However, I don't think that it will get to violence. Mccain or obama will both try to push amnesty through --- they both 'owe' their hispanic lobbyists for bringing in the votes --- but congress and the senate will listen to the people that elected them and will not let it pass. Will it be ugly? Yes. But we cannot afford to take care of millions of people who have no right to be here. Anymore then the UK has the responsibility to accept me as a citizen merely because I want to live there.

Old 10-06-2008, 08:29 PM

7,020 posts, read 9,897,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I foresee a lot of anger, especially if illegal immigrant groups start to protest once again about the unfairness of any anger or hatred directed their way by americans.

However, I don't think that it will get to violence. Mccain or obama will both try to push amnesty through --- they both 'owe' their hispanic lobbyists for bringing in the votes --- but congress and the senate will listen to the people that elected them and will not let it pass. Will it be ugly? Yes. But we cannot afford to take care of millions of people who have no right to be here. Anymore then the UK has the responsibility to accept me as a citizen merely because I want to live there.
Which ever one of these clowns is elected, they would be better served telling LaRaza, et al. that they were just kidding about amnesty. If they don't, there will be violence in this country that will surpass the level of that of the civil right movement.

Last edited by JDubsMom; 10-06-2008 at 08:44 PM..

Old 10-06-2008, 08:42 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Which ever one of these clowns is elected, they would be better served telling LaRaza, et al. that they were just kidding about amnesty. If they don't, there will be violence in this country that will surpass the level of that of the civil right movement.
I hope to God it does not come to that

Old 10-06-2008, 08:45 PM

7,020 posts, read 9,897,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I hope to God it does not come to that
Neither of us do, but the handwriting is on the wall.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:07 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,884,971 times
I hope it chases the criminals back accross the border and back to their native countries where they in fact belong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration