Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 11:45 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Illigal immigrants taking those jobs are also breaking the law. I have been poor trying to raise my kids and could have made a good living by illegally selling drugs, just because the job is offered and would help me financillay dosent justify engaging in illegal activity. You can not put ALL the blame on the businesses or the governement. Personal responsibility have to come into play.
As you stated: I agree with 100%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 12:14 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,749,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastlady View Post
That isn't the same. I'm not breaking any laws by having a house with stuff in it. Employers who hire illegal immigrants are breaking the law, taking advantage of the lower wage they can pay and giving your job away to a non-US citizen. If you were poor and desperate, this might look a little less one-sided to you.
I've been poor and desperate. I've been homeless and on the street. I've wondered how I could possibly feed my children and pay rent at the same time, but I have never, ever, even for a moment, considered lawlessess as an antidote to poverty.

Employers are breaking the law by offering employment to illegal aliens, but you miss the point of my analogy.

Simply because employers WILL hire illegal immigrants does not mean that they are then compelled to break the law by coming into the U.S. to work illegally.

Simply because you have some really nice "stuff" in your house does not mean that I am compelled to break into your house and steal it all.

Illegal entry into the U.S. is not a victimless crime and illegal aliens are not exculpable in their actions or their own personal responsibility for those actions.

Remember personal responsibility? People stepping up and accepting responsibility for their own actions and the consequences thereof?

Old 10-10-2008, 01:12 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,747,810 times
I am sick and disgusted with people coming here and sucking up our resources. I just turned off the tv after watching America's wealth go up in smoke. How the he!! can we feed the world while our own 401K's are vanishing into thin air. We have two candidates running for the W.H and neither of them have a clue.

Old 10-10-2008, 02:13 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Hell: your son may marry a Filipina
LOL! I can honestly say, I don't care what race or ethnicity my son chooses for a wife. As long as she is a decent person, truly loves him, and is a legal resident of this country. My only concern is for his happiness. He seems to like them ALL, and they ALL seem to like him.

Old 10-10-2008, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Illigal immigrants taking those jobs are also breaking the law. I have been poor trying to raise my kids and could have made a good living by illegally selling drugs, just because the job is offered and would help me financillay dosent justify engaging in illegal activity. You can not put ALL the blame on the businesses or the governement. Personal responsibility have to come into play.
Absolutely! While the government and unscrupulous employers are certainly complicit, illegal aliens are not innocent. I’m so sick of hearing that they really don’t understand they are committing crimes; and they aren’t criminals for simply coming here to work. BS!

People don’t “sneak” into a country and not realize they are violating laws. People don’t pay for “forged” documents and not realize it’s wrong. People don’t unwittingly “steal” identities and use another name for employment purposes, credit cards, mortgages, and auto loans. Even a toddler knows his/her name.

Old 10-10-2008, 03:03 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,429,775 times
Quote:
All of the Mexican people I have known have been hard-working, friendly people. I'd say I have a favorable impression of them as a group. I'm sure there are good and bad Mexican people, just like there are good and bad people from every race.
I like diversity. I don't care what language people want to speak. I don't care what kind of music they listen to or what kind of food they eat. It is of no concern to me if people come here from any country. I don't think we should all be the same.
I think the problem with immigrants working in the US illegally stems from the people who hire them. I don't think you can blame the poor man for wanting a job. And I think the people who hire them should be punished and forced to pay minimum wage to employees.
Give this man a Cigar! Another person uneffected by illegal immigration..for now anyway.

Old 10-10-2008, 03:18 PM

Quote:
All of the Mexican people I have known have been hard-working, friendly people. I'd say I have a favorable impression of them as a group. I'm sure there are good and bad Mexican people, just like there are good and bad people from every race.
I like diversity. I don't care what language people want to speak. I don't care what kind of music they listen to or what kind of food they eat. It is of no concern to me if people come here from any country. I don't think we should all be the same.
I think the problem with immigrants working in the US illegally stems from the people who hire them. I don't think you can blame the poor man for wanting a job. And I think the people who hire them should be punished and forced to pay minimum wage to employees.
Yes, I do blame him, if “wanting a job” involves using a stolen or fake SSN, or other fraudulent means.

Old 10-10-2008, 05:23 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Remember personal responsibility? People stepping up and accepting responsibility for their own actions and the consequences thereof?
It SOUNDS familiar, and I KNOW I must have heard of it..but it was so long ago I may be confusing it with something else. Give me a few hints. Can ANYONE have it, or is it just for some people?....

Old 10-10-2008, 05:37 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,429,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
I've been poor and desperate. I've been homeless and on the street.
Quote:
I've wondered how I could possibly feed my children and pay rent at the same time,
but I have never, ever, even for a moment, considered lawlessess as an antidote to poverty.

Employers are breaking the law by offering employment to illegal aliens, but you miss the point of my analogy.

Simply because employers WILL hire illegal immigrants does not mean that they are then compelled to break the law by coming into the U.S. to work illegally.

Simply because you have some really nice "stuff" in your house does not mean that I am compelled to break into your house and steal it all.

Illegal entry into the U.S. is not a victimless crime and illegal aliens are not exculpable in their actions or their own personal responsibility for those actions.

The Hand That Rocks the Cradle..Rules the World

Old 10-10-2008, 09:04 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,753,445 times
Quote:

Thats the way I see it too.

People are so angry at a person who is leaving everything he knows behind, to go to a place he knows nothing about, to work for a crummy job that pays a lot more than in the country he comes from.

The way people get mad, you'd think illegals were rolling around in money baths, wearing top hats smoking cigars while their wives prance around in diamonds and furs laughing maniacally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration