U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 06:08 PM

17,835 posts, read 29,410,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
I think BOA is bogus anyway. We have really good credit. I've never been late on any of my bills, mortgage, credit cards, etc.. Awhile back I had a savings account with them, then closed it out because the interest on it sucked. I just have the checking now.

anyway, I've banked with them for years. I applied for a credit card about 6 months ago and I was denied. So, it just makes me wonder, since I have good credit why I was turned down.

I guess BOA is being very "selective" these days. ahem......
I will advise you the same thing I told "hereinfla"
Get a copy of your credit report. It is free once a year but if you have been declined you are able to get another report.
If you haven't received your score in a year, pay the few dollars to find out what it is. That way you have a baseline to go from.
One thing they look at is the ratio of credit limits vs balances.
You can pay your bill on time every month but if your balances exceed your credit limits by more than 50% this will lower your credit score.

As far as BoA goes I use to work for them and believe me this is not the first "dumba**" thing I have seen them do .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2007, 06:13 PM

6,739 posts, read 8,541,977 times
Quote:
That's just the way that I read it. If you didn't mean it that way, then I apologize. I am not in favor of illegal aliens sucking from the teat of the bounty of this country. I just wish we would hold employers as responsible as those that they employ, that's all
herinfla - What I said before came out wrong. I need to reread what I type sometimes. No big deal I sometimes get so set on my ways and I just go nuts typing....

Don't you have other banks you can bank at? I know many where you can do online banking.

Old 02-13-2007, 06:28 PM

9,362 posts, read 22,340,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
herinfla - What I said before came out wrong. I need to reread what I type sometimes. No big deal I sometimes get so set on my ways and I just go nuts typing....

Don't you have other banks you can bank at? I know many where you can do online banking.
LOL Ditto, which explains why I have so many edits in my posts!

Would love to know of any major banks with really user friendly online pay features... I've tried two local banks, but their online banking was rinky dinky and with one I had a vendor double charge me and it took two weeks to "investigate", whereas BOA has always been good about dealing with issues like that.

Old 02-13-2007, 06:37 PM

9,362 posts, read 22,340,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfask View Post
I will advise you the same thing I told "hereinfla"
Get a copy of your credit report. It is free once a year but if you have been declined you are able to get another report.
If you haven't received your score in a year, pay the few dollars to find out what it is. That way you have a baseline to go from.
One thing they look at is the ratio of credit limits vs balances.
You can pay your bill on time every month but if your balances exceed your credit limits by more than 50% this will lower your credit score.

As far as BoA goes I use to work for them and believe me this is not the first "dumba**" thing I have seen them do .
when I was declined I got my credit report and found out that I have nothing unpaid, charged off or late and that one bank where I opened a checking account had issued me a credit card- must have signed something that I didn't realize and I shred anything that I think is junk mail, so must have shredded it. But, as I was p'ed off at BOA for declining me, I just figured I'd use the other when I wanted to rent a car. That's when relying solely on debit stinks- they put a hold on hundreds of dollars as security for a two day rental.

I also found out that when I was applying for a mortgage, several companies had inquired and that is also when I learned my credit score.

Old 02-13-2007, 07:21 PM

1,459 posts, read 4,041,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pslOldTimer View Post
Can any of the frantic posters in this thread explain what a Social Secuirty number has to do with a credit card in the first place? Banks issue credit cards to people all over the world who do not have US SS numbers. One of the early posters asked how the bank can collect w/o a SS Number -- what does that have to do with anything?

Are any of you aware that it is illegal to use a SS number or identification purposes? The only time it is required to give a SS number is when the transactions must be reported to the IRS, such as stock sales.

Bank of America traditionally asks for a Social Security number for the purposes of pulling a credit history from a credit agency; they have no other reason and no other use for it. If they decide to extend credit to someone without checking a credit history, they don't need a SS #. If they are getting sufficiently high interest rates and fees for these cards to cover their potential losses, it becomes just a business decision to issue such a card.

Besides, experience has shown that most immigrants, illegal or otherwise, are more responsible for paying their bills than many American citizens. The immigrants are here because they want to be here, and are terrified of doing anything wrong that would hurt their ability to stay.

I certainly won't be canceling any of my Bank of America accounts because of this, and I'm amazed by the number of people who say they will rush out and do so based on such a flimsy story.

Oldtimer, I'm sure BOA will be glad they have customers like you, as you will be paying for all the freebies these people get. Some of these people may pay their acct., but I can assure you there will be many that don't.

Old 02-13-2007, 08:04 PM

1,305 posts, read 4,932,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim280 View Post
Oldtimer, I'm sure BOA will be glad they have customers like you, as you will be paying for all the freebies these people get. Some of these people may pay their acct., but I can assure you there will be many that don't.
BofA didn't get to the size it is without understanding risk. What they may have underestimated is the mood of American bank customers towards current immigration policies.

What I get a kick out of is people complaining about immigrants wanting to send money home, as if there was something horrible about that.

Old 02-13-2007, 08:22 PM

96 posts, read 250,276 times
Default BoA

Hi All,

My accounts will be closed in the next day or two, as soon as I can

get to a bank on the next corner and I surely will tell them why. Online

seems to be a poor reason to stay at a bank but of course you know what

you need.....

LOVE THE U.S.A

Old 02-13-2007, 08:33 PM

Quote:
BofA didn't get to the size it is without understanding risk. What they may have underestimated is the mood of American bank customers towards current immigration policies.

What I get a kick out of is people complaining about immigrants wanting to send money home, as if there was something horrible about that.

I've been with BOA since 1995,they do understand risk and also have a backup plan for getting money back they lose. If you stay with them, good luck. I'll be visiting BOA first thing in the morning for a chat with the branch manager.

Old 02-13-2007, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
Does anyone know the interest rate on these credit cards that don't require a social security number? I'll bet you anybody with a social security number wouldn't be willing to pay such high rates. I think the cap on credit card interest rates is 28 percent, would you be willing to pay that amount? I think not!
Only 21 states have caps on interest rates for credit cards, 29 do not have a limit on interest rates.

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/cc/20020320b.asp

Old 02-13-2007, 10:02 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,710,869 times
Quote:

Well, it would be nice if they paid their bills here first.

Quote:
LOS ANGELES - More than 100,000 undocumented women each year bear children in California with expenses paid by Medi-Cal, according to state reports.

Such births and related expenses account for more than $400 million of the nearly $1 billion that the program spends annually on health care for illegal immigrants in California, the Los Angeles Times reported, citing state reports.
http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:FjuEXpqo0e4J:www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/breaking_news/16312469.htm+LA+illegal+births&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=4& gl=us&client=safari (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or