U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 08:15 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky1 View Post
Here is how you can fix the problem, may seem harsh but it will definately work.

Have to be citizen in country for 20 years before they can vote. - Stops the political rhetoric

Illegal entry will never allow lead to citizenship. - Stops the incentive

Revoke the welfare bill that somehow passed for illegals. - Stops the laziness

Offer a $500 bounty on each illegal found and deported by private enterprises. - Promotes business

All their belongings are sold or auctioned by local agencies. - Shows determination

Outsource prisons and locate them in guatamala - Installs fear into minds of illegals

National legislation to close businesses that violate and hire illegals - Enforces what we have with severe pain on shareholders

National legislation to confiscate property to those who lease or rent to illegals. - Shows the risk involved to those who are undecided about migrating to the US.

Allow immigrants to apply for citizen ONLY from embassy's located in THEIR country. - Give them a path and motive to do the right thing, expidite the process for skilled workers.
I have to disagree there; the present 5 year rule of applying for US citizenship with its present perks (including the right to vote) after being a legal resident is fair. And; needless to say, if said legal resident is a member of the Armed Forces, his/her citizenship should be sooner.

Now; what does need to be done is to do away with 'birthright' citizenship assuming that both parents here here illegally. Pick an arbitrary date, of say, July 1st 2008. Grandfather in those age 17 on down kids born prior to that cutoff date as US citizens; those born after, oh well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 12:09 PM

1,818 posts, read 2,734,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
I have NO PROBLEM with immigrants, both sides of my family came over from Germany during the war and Ireland during the famine. Both Legally. Most of what you stated is fair. Although alot I have met have No intensions of becoming citizens, they just want land and retirement in Mexico. You also need to put in there the huge stiff penalties for employers that hire those illegals that have no intensions of becoming citizens.
How would a potential employer know in fact if the Illegals really have an intention of becoming a citizen? How could they be faulted for not knowing what the actual intentions of any Illegal would be?
Sassy

Old 03-30-2008, 09:27 AM

659 posts, read 979,418 times
On the other side of the coin I really can't blame them for doing what ever it takes to improve their life.

Old 03-30-2008, 06:09 PM

62 posts, read 121,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyone View Post
How would a potential employer know in fact if the Illegals really have an intention of becoming a citizen? How could they be faulted for not knowing what the actual intentions of any Illegal would be?
Sassy
I worked with a gentleman from Mexico. He has been here for 18 years as an illegal. He is buying property in Mexico and when he finishes paying for it in American $$ then he and his wife and five children will go back to Mexico to live. He has NO interest in becoming a citizen. He has changed employment several times when his employers find no SS#. He deals only in cash. However; in the meantime he and his family take full advantage of all freebies, i.e., food stamps, HUD, Medi-Cal, Medicare and will add themselves to the new dole from Social Security. He told me he learned all about what to do to get these benefits BEFORE he came to California. He got the information from the Mexican government. He is a nice guy. But multiply him times 12 million and the financial drain on California and the whole country is crazy. Sure he pays taxes whenever he buys big ticket items, but that does not balance out when you add in the the benefits he and his family uses for which the American taxpayer is billed for. Duh! It does not take a rocket scientist to do the addition and subtraction.
Until our politicians quit playing games with our economy and make firm the enforcement of our borders nothing will change.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:36 PM

1,818 posts, read 2,734,256 times
Quote:
On the other side of the coin I really can't blame them for doing what ever it takes to improve their life.
I don't blame them either. If our goverment does not care why should I?
The ones I have met have been great people, they can keep coming because with all the hatred I have heard towards them, it has just made me more understanding of their cause.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:52 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times
Quote:
I don't blame them, either. I've known MANY who have done this. My 'gripe', though, is that it's still a 'bad thing' for the US, and WE ought to take steps to STOP IT....and that "stopping it" is not a 'racist act'. Illegal immigrants aren't a 'race'...they're a 'legal description'.

Having a beloved relative who drives drunk, for instance, does NOT mean you condone Drunk Driving, and it does NOT mean your loved one should be mistreated, and it does NOT mean you can't 'love' your relative.....yet most of us agree, 'loved one' or NOT, drunk driving can NOT be allowed to continue, and it MUST be stopped.

We as a nation should be 'allowed' to monitor and regulate our own immigration. It's the right and DUTY of every nation to do this....and it doesn't mean they're 'mean', xenophobic, or racist.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:15 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyone View Post
I don't blame them either. If our goverment does not care why should I?
The ones I have met have been great people, they can keep coming because with all the hatred I have heard towards them, it has just made me more understanding of their cause.
Well; I do care about illegals about being in my country and I will do anything legal to torment them till they leave--------despite the dysfunction of Wash DC.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:49 PM

9 posts, read 24,123 times
Default What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
I don't understand how some Americans can stratch their heads and wonder why illegal immigrants are feeling threatened in this nation. The ruthlessly negative feelings would threaten my existence, and how I view myself. Many feel like they are not liked or respected.
No one is wondering why illegal immigrants are feeling "threatened." I'm certainly not. If they're here ilegally, they should feel threatened. The possibility of being caught when you're breaking the law makes most people feel "threatened."

Economic Populist Forum

Old 03-31-2008, 11:23 AM

3,712 posts, read 5,709,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddana View Post
I worked with a gentleman from Mexico. He has been here for 18 years as an illegal. He is buying property in Mexico and when he finishes paying for it in American $$ then he and his wife and five children will go back to Mexico to live. He has NO interest in becoming a citizen. He has changed employment several times when his employers find no SS#. He deals only in cash. However; in the meantime he and his family take full advantage of all freebies, i.e., food stamps, HUD, Medi-Cal, Medicare and will add themselves to the new dole from Social Security. He told me he learned all about what to do to get these benefits BEFORE he came to California. He got the information from the Mexican government. He is a nice guy. But multiply him times 12 million and the financial drain on California and the whole country is crazy. Sure he pays taxes whenever he buys big ticket items, but that does not balance out when you add in the the benefits he and his family uses for which the American taxpayer is billed for. Duh! It does not take a rocket scientist to do the addition and subtraction.
Until our politicians quit playing games with our economy and make firm the enforcement of our borders nothing will change.
Bingo! The people who try to excuse the behavior of the illegals on the grounds that they should be able to improve life for their family irrespective of the legality fail to realize that it is always at the expense of someone else, namely the US taxpayer.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:00 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
Bingo! The people who try to excuse the behavior of the illegals on the grounds that they should be able to improve life for their family irrespective of the legality fail to realize that it is always at the expense of someone else, namely the US taxpayer.
You are absolutely correct! According to pro-illegal 'rationale' one should be allowed to embezzle funds for 18 years -- as long as it's for the 'right' reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or