U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 05:32 PM

7,020 posts, read 10,218,155 times

Advertisements

Picture an undocumented student, and the first image to pop up is unlikely to be an Asian one.
Yet a recent report by the University of California Office of the President revealed that 40 to 44 percent of undocumented students in the UC system are Asian. This is definitely not “a Mexican thing,” which is how one undocumented student characterized the Asian community’s dismissive views towards undocumented immigration.
“People will ask you: ‘Are you AB 540? Because obviously you are not Latina,’” explains Tam, a 24-year-old of Vietnamese descent who recently graduated from UCLA (the last names of the undocumented students in this article have been withheld to protect their identities).
The 2001 state law AB 540 lowers the cost of tuition at California public universities for students who attended a high school in the state for at least three years. According to the UC Office of the President, over 1,639 students have benefited from AB 540; out of those, 1,200 were legal residents or citizens.
Out-of-state students attending California colleges filed a suit in 2005 challenging the law, objecting to the state’s practice of allowing illegal immigrants to pay significantly lower tuition than they pay. The suit was dismissed by the Yolo County Superior Court in 2006.
But on September 15, the Court of Appeal in Sacramento issued a ruling that challenges AB 540 on the grounds that it contradicts federal law, which holds that states cannot grant educational benefits based on residency.
But life continues for those who have made it to college. Faced with financial burdens and legal concerns in addition to the normal college student worries about classes and career, today’s unexpected and overlooked Asian undocumented students are screaming for help.
While undocumented Latino students can often seek support from Latino student groups or academic programs targeting Latino students, Asian undocumented students may not know whom to reach out to,” Gin said. “They may have trouble finding communities in which they can comfortably, openly and safely share their experiences with other students.”

www.asianweek.com

Why don't they all just get out of OUR country. I am so sick of the whining and arrogant sense of entitlement of these illegal asshats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 05:51 PM

15,179 posts, read 16,426,639 times
I don't care if they’re Asian, Latino, Black, green, or polka dot. We owe them nothing, and nothing is what they should get. Boo Hoo.

Old 10-13-2008, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I don't care if they’re Asian, Latino, Black, green, or polka dot. We owe them nothing, and nothing is what they should get. Boo Hoo.
It's not enough that they are being allowed to break every law we have. The whining coupled with the delusional sense of entitlement is totally infuriating.

Old 10-13-2008, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
It's not enough that they are being allowed to break every law we have. The whining coupled with the delusional sense of entitlement is totally infuriating.
Absolutely! I have never been so sick of anything in my entire life. I want ALL illegals out of here. Our country has been damaged enough. It's time to get serious, and get these ingrates out of here.

Old 10-13-2008, 07:24 PM

21,148 posts, read 37,837,625 times
Quote:
As you and Benicar stated..............I have nothing additional to add.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:14 PM

4,800 posts, read 7,942,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
As you and Benicar stated..............I have nothing additional to add.
Ditto.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:36 PM

24,235 posts, read 34,208,431 times
Quote:
Picture an undocumented student, and the first image to pop up is unlikely to be an Asian one.
Yet a recent report by the University of California Office of the President revealed that 40 to 44 percent of undocumented students in the UC system are Asian. This is definitely not “a Mexican thing,” which is how one undocumented student characterized the Asian community’s dismissive views towards undocumented immigration.
“People will ask you: ‘Are you AB 540? Because obviously you are not Latina,’” explains Tam, a 24-year-old of Vietnamese descent who recently graduated from UCLA (the last names of the undocumented students in this article have been withheld to protect their identities).
The 2001 state law AB 540 lowers the cost of tuition at California public universities for students who attended a high school in the state for at least three years. According to the UC Office of the President, over 1,639 students have benefited from AB 540; out of those, 1,200 were legal residents or citizens.
Out-of-state students attending California colleges filed a suit in 2005 challenging the law, objecting to the state’s practice of allowing illegal immigrants to pay significantly lower tuition than they pay. The suit was dismissed by the Yolo County Superior Court in 2006.
But on September 15, the Court of Appeal in Sacramento issued a ruling that challenges AB 540 on the grounds that it contradicts federal law, which holds that states cannot grant educational benefits based on residency.
But life continues for those who have made it to college. Faced with financial burdens and legal concerns in addition to the normal college student worries about classes and career, today’s unexpected and overlooked Asian undocumented students are screaming for help.
While undocumented Latino students can often seek support from Latino student groups or academic programs targeting Latino students, Asian undocumented students may not know whom to reach out to,” Gin said. “They may have trouble finding communities in which they can comfortably, openly and safely share their experiences with other students.”

www.asianweek.com

Why don't they all just get out of OUR country. I am so sick of the whining and arrogant sense of entitlement of these illegal asshats.
What makes them so special? I would not be even in college now without loans and a scholarship. Where's my bleeding-heart sympathy?

Old 10-13-2008, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
What makes them so special? I would not be even in college now without loans and a scholarship. Where's my bleeding-heart sympathy?
You're a legal citizen, so you don't qualify for sympathy. That's reserved for illegal aliens. After all, they have come here seeking a better life, and we are obligated to provide them with everything their countries won't.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Sorry, Americans need not apply because we are not eligible.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:50 PM

884 posts, read 620,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Absolutely! I have never been so sick of anything in my entire life. I want ALL illegals out of here. Our country has been damaged enough. It's time to get serious, and get these ingrates out of here.

My thoughts exactly!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or