U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 06:58 PM

7,020 posts, read 9,901,302 times

Advertisements

Muñoz says most Hispanics, like most Americans, support laws that allow illegal immigrants in good standing to become legal U.S. residents. But not all agree.

"I know some Latinos that are very adamant about the folks who are here illegally and feel strongly that they shouldn't be," said Hector DeLeon, 61, of West Lake Hills, a leader in state Republican political circles who is supporting McCain and also supports immigration reform.

Often, the feelings are linked to cultural and economic tensions between Mexican American citizens and illegal immigrants. For instance, a Pew Hispanic Center survey in 2007 found that while 82 percent of foreign-born Latinos think that illegal immigrants benefit the economy, only 64 percent of native-born Latinos do.

Protests led to registration

Hispanics are notoriously underrepresented at the polls.

About 47 million strong, they make up about 15 percent of the U.S. population but only 9 percent of eligible voters. Many are ineligible either because they're not yet citizens or not yet 18 years old. And Latinos vote in smaller percentages than their Anglo and African American counterparts.

But there are signs that registration of eligible Latinos is rising, boosted in large part by the wrenching immigration debate.

would support the DREAM Act.

http://www.statesman.com/news/content/news/stories/nation/10/13/1013latimmig.html

Ms. Munoz needs to stop sampling the gifts she receives courtesy of the cartels from SOB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 07:36 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,821,083 times
I know plenty of legal Hispanics, and NONE support illegal immigration. Most likely the majority of their respondents were illegal aliens, or family members or friends of illegals.

Old 10-13-2008, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I know plenty of legal Hispanics, and NONE support illegal immigration. Most likely the majority of their respondents were illegal aliens, or family members or friends of illegals.
Agreed. It's usually the anchors and others with family members here illegally praying for and demanding amnesty. Those who came here legally fled Mexico to escape the bottom of the barrel. They are fully aware of the misery and chaos illegals create and I'm sure they want no part of them.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:06 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,637,375 times
Quote:
More and more: I sense that as well---------whereas Americans of 'Mexican' heritage (no matter their actual race) who have been here for generations tend to be quite anti illegal immigration.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:55 PM

635 posts, read 1,560,533 times
I can tell you the legal Latinos in California heavily support an illegal immigrant pathway to Citizenship. There are many families with mixed status! I would think the same would be true in Nevada, Arizona, and Colorado, where there tends to be alot of first and second generation Latino immigrants.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusisLord View Post
I can tell you the legal Latinos in California heavily support an illegal immigrant pathway to Citizenship. There are many families with mixed status! I would think the same would be true in Nevada, Arizona, and Colorado, where there tends to be alot of first and second generation Latino immigrants.
That's pretty much the concensus among all of us. If they are anchors (aka citizens by default) harborers of illegal alien family members they want amnesty. Too bad it ain't gonna happen. They should all go back to mexico and live happily ever after, you know one big poverty stricken, criminal laden family and all that.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:09 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,821,083 times
Quote:
Yes, as previously mentioned, they are either illegals, or family and friends of illegals. Of course they support a path to citizenship. However, the majority of "legal" citizens with no connection to illegal aliens vehemently oppose any form of amnesty.

Non-Hispanics who support illegal aliens are generally employers of illegals, or profit in some manner.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:14 PM

3,172 posts, read 5,998,488 times
Quote:
Yes, as previously mentioned, they are either illegals, or family and friends of illegals. Of course they support a path to citizenship. However, the majority of "legal" citizens with no connection to illegal aliens vehemently oppose any form of amnesty.

Non-Hispanics who support illegal aliens are generally employers of illegals, or profit in some manner.
Are you just speaking on a hunch, or how you assume things are, or do you have anything to back that up? Kind of a broad generalization, don't you think?

Old 10-14-2008, 10:38 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,739,847 times
Quote:
That's what makes "latinos" different from everyone else. You never see Americans of another ethnicities proclaim that their ethnicity should not be expected to abide by laws of the USA.

I've never yet met someone of black ancestry try to claim that because of their ancestry, every African has a right to move here and demand instant citizenship. I've never met a Pole, an Italian, a German or anyone who believed that his "race" or "ethnicity" was so special it superceded any laws of this country.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:42 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,739,847 times
Quote:

I don't know of any personally -- the Americans with Spanish ancestry don't seem different from other Americans -- but I'm not living in California.

I'll just take these people's words for it that all the Latinos out there believe they have some racist right to do whatever they please, and that laws are for other people, less important ethnicities.

One thing you can bet your life on -- these Latinos who believe that all Latinos must be rewarded for breaking the laws, and must be given unlimited rights to simply move to the USA do not believe that right exists for all other groups. They cannot be so stupid to believe that all of Haiti, all of Europe, all of Asia, all of Africa has their same unlimited rights to immigrate here. They are as racist as they can get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration