Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 09:09 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,555,982 times

Advertisements

It appears some Latino immigrants are now getting a taste of their own medicine. Obviously, they don’t subscribe to the belief that all immigrants are created equal. I guess Latino immigrants are the only group we should tolerate and accommodate. Pot meet kettle.

Quote:
GRAND ISLAND, Neb. — Like many workers at the meatpacking plant here, Raul A. Garcia, a Mexican-American, has watched with some discomfort as hundreds of Somali immigrants have moved to town in the past couple of years, many of them to fill jobs once held by Latino workers taken away in immigration raids.
Mr. Garcia has been particularly troubled by the Somalis’ demand that they be allowed special breaks for prayers that are obligatory for devout Muslims. The breaks, he said, would inconvenience everyone else.

“The Latino is very humble,” said Mr. Garcia, 73, who has worked at the plant, owned by JBS U.S.A. Inc., since 1994. “But they are arrogant,” he said of the Somali workers. “They act like the United States owes them.”

Mr. Garcia was among more than 1,000 Latino and other workers who protested a decision last month by the plant’s management to cut their work day — and their pay — by 15 minutes to give scores of Somali workers time for evening prayers.

After several days of strikes and disruptions, the plant’s management abandoned the plan.

But the dispute peeled back a layer of civility in this southern Nebraska city of 47,000, revealing slow-burning racial and ethnic tensions that have been an unexpected aftermath of the enforcement raids at workplaces by federal immigration authorities.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/16/us...in&oref=slogin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 09:17 AM

7,025 posts, read 11,405,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
It appears some Latino immigrants are now getting a taste of their own medicine. Obviously, they don’t subscribe to the belief that all immigrants are created equal. I guess Latino immigrants are the only group we should tolerate and accommodate. Pot meet kettle.

Quote:
“The Latino is very humble,” said Mr. Garcia, 73, who has worked at the plant, owned by JBS U.S.A. Inc., since 1994. “But they are arrogant,” he said of the Somali workers. “They act like the United States owes them.”
Pot meet kettle is an understatement. Obviously, none of the latino vampires of which he speaks has the ability to look in the mirror and see their own reflections.

Pay-back is a dog. It's wonderful to know what goes around does indeed come back around isn't it?

Old 10-17-2008, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
[b][color=red]

Pot meet kettle is an understatement. Obviously, none of the latino vampires of which he speaks has the ability to look in the mirror and see their own reflections.

Pay-back is a dog. It's wonderful to know what goes around does indeed come back around isn't it?
Indeed it is. Don't you just love karma?

Old 10-17-2008, 09:38 AM

7,025 posts, read 11,405,301 times
Quote:
Indeed it is. Don't you just love karma?
Yep, it's the greatest of all equalizers.

Old 10-17-2008, 01:26 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,661,015 times
i dont think latinos were the only ones upset by this religious demand. most of the work force was. and this "mexican american" speaks just like you guys. if he were an illegal, complaining about an illegal then it would make sense, otherwise he is just another citizen who works at a plant that doesnt want special treatment for religious fundamentalists.

he is a citizen. so much for not trying to racialize people. all latinos think differently. or is this another example of "infighting"

you guys are making this a racial issue. the evidence shows that sudanese, latino, and white workers were upset by this.

from the article...

In some of these places, including Grand Island, this newest wave of immigrant workers has had the effect of unifying the other ethnic populations against the Somalis and has also diverted some of the longstanding hostility toward Latino immigrants among some native-born residents.

"...there is resentment, discomfort and mistrust everywhere, some residents say — between the white community and the various immigrant communities; between the older immigrant communities, like the Latinos, and the newer ones, namely the Somalis and the Sudanese, another refugee community that has grown here in recent years; and between the Somalis, who are largely Muslim, and the Sudanese, who are largely Christian.

“I kind of admire all the effort they make to follow that religion, but sometimes you have to adapt to the workplace,” said Fidencio Sandoval, a plant worker born in Mexico who has become an American citizen. “A new culture comes in with their demands and says, ‘This is what we want.’ This is kind of new for me.”

...In a counterprotest on Sept. 17, more than 1,000 Latino and Sudanese workers lined up alongside white workers in opposition to the concessions to the Somalis.

“We had complaints from the whites, Hispanics and Sudanese,” said Abdalla Omar, 26, one of the Somali strikers.

thats what i got out of this article.
why do you selectively quote an article?

all the workers, latino or otherwise had a problem with this.
they protested because they would lose pay and time. the author of the article sensationalizes this topic with the mere title and you guys eat it up.

the MAIN issue here is special accomodations at the work place for a specific group. tell me how this applies to latinos.

what demands have they made that cut a workers time? what demands have they made that cut a fellow workers pay?

if i worked at this plant i would have a problem with this.

muslim, cristian, jew, etc.

Quote:

Old 10-17-2008, 02:25 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,148,549 times
I can see why Latinos would have a problem with this along with everyone considering nearly all Latinos are Catholic and those Somalians want everyone to bow down to Ahllah. They even refused entry in taxi cabs in Minneapolis if airport passengers have alochol because it is aganist Sharia Law(I think anyone who wnat Sharia Law in the USA is a traitor and should be arrested for treason). But it seems like Latinos can't take a taste of their own medicine how they paraded in the streets in 2006 and 2007 demanding everrything they want.

Old 10-17-2008, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
i dont think latinos were the only ones upset by this religious demand. most of the work force was. and this "mexican american" speaks just like you guys. if he were an illegal, complaining about an illegal then it would make sense, otherwise he is just another citizen who works at a plant that doesnt want special treatment for religious fundamentalists.

he is a citizen. so much for not trying to racialize people. all latinos think differently. or is this another example of "infighting"

you guys are making this a racial issue. the evidence shows that sudanese, latino, and white workers were upset by this.

from the article...

In some of these places, including Grand Island, this newest wave of immigrant workers has had the effect of unifying the other ethnic populations against the Somalis and has also diverted some of the longstanding hostility toward Latino immigrants among some native-born residents.

"...there is resentment, discomfort and mistrust everywhere, some residents say — between the white community and the various immigrant communities; between the older immigrant communities, like the Latinos, and the newer ones, namely the Somalis and the Sudanese, another refugee community that has grown here in recent years; and between the Somalis, who are largely Muslim, and the Sudanese, who are largely Christian.

“I kind of admire all the effort they make to follow that religion, but sometimes you have to adapt to the workplace,” said Fidencio Sandoval, a plant worker born in Mexico who has become an American citizen. “A new culture comes in with their demands and says, ‘This is what we want.’ This is kind of new for me.”

...In a counterprotest on Sept. 17, more than 1,000 Latino and Sudanese workers lined up alongside white workers in opposition to the concessions to the Somalis.

“We had complaints from the whites, Hispanics and Sudanese,” said Abdalla Omar, 26, one of the Somali strikers.

thats what i got out of this article.
why do you selectively quote an article?

all the workers, latino or otherwise had a problem with this.
they protested because they would lose pay and time. the author of the article sensationalizes this topic with the mere title and you guys eat it up.

the MAIN issue here is special accomodations at the work place for a specific group. tell me how this applies to latinos.

what demands have they made that cut a workers time? what demands have they made that cut a fellow workers pay?

if i worked at this plant i would have a problem with this.

muslim, cristian, jew, etc.
If you object to the focus of this article, complain to the author, I didn’t coin the title. I am aware that “others” were opposed to the “new” immigrants. However, I find it quite hypocritical that Latino immigrants, who incessantly complain about racism and discrimination, would feel resentment, and join forces against a group of immigrants.

I particularly found the comments I bolded in red in my original post to be amusing. How on earth can this man accuse the Somalis of being “arrogant” and having a sense of “entitlement,” when that mindset is rampant among Latino illegal aliens? Yes, the height of hypocrisy.

Quote:
Like many workers at the meatpacking plant here, Raul A. Garcia, a Mexican-American, has watched with some discomfort as hundreds of Somali immigrants have moved to town in the past couple of years, many of them to fill jobs once held by Latino workers taken away in immigration raids.
Tell me, why should he feel "discomfort?"

Quote:
Yes, hostility against immigrants is ok as long as it isn't directed at Hispanics. They’re simply glad to have the hostility diverted to another group. Where is their compassion? After all, haven’t they been mistreated? I would certainly expect people who whine about being mistreated in this country, and claim to loathe racism and discrimination, not to participate in that behavior. How can they vilify others if they are guilty of the same? Again, hypocrisy.

Old 10-17-2008, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I can see why Latinos would have a problem with this along with everyone considering nearly all Latinos are Catholic and those Somalians want everyone to bow down to Ahllah. They even refused entry in taxi cabs in Minneapolis if airport passengers have alochol because it is aganist Sharia Law(I think anyone who wnat Sharia Law in the USA is a traitor and should be arrested for treason). But it seems like Latinos can't take a taste of their own medicine how they paraded in the streets in 2006 and 2007 demanding everrything they want.
Absolutely! Latino illegal aliens and their supporters have done nothing but "demand" from the taxpayers of this country. How dare they complain about another group!

Although I do not believe Muslims should receive preferential treatment, I simply cannot ignore the sheer gall of these Latinos to complain about another group demanding accommodations.

Old 10-17-2008, 03:39 PM

so why would he be an example of this. why would what you bolded in read, which is from the mouth of US citizen be evidence of the pot calling hte kettle black? is he an illegal alien with a sense of entitlement? no he is a citizen. what happened to not lumping all latinos together?

Quote:
If you object to the focus of this article, complain to the author, I didn’t coin the title. I am aware that “others” were opposed to the “new” immigrants. However, I find it quite hypocritical that Latino immigrants, who incessantly complain about racism and discrimination, would feel resentment, and join forces against a group of immigrants.

I particularly found the comments I bolded in red in my original post to be amusing. How on earth can this man accuse the Somalis of being “arrogant” and having a sense of “entitlement,” when that mindset is rampant among Latino illegal aliens? Yes, the height of hypocrisy.

Tell me, why should he feel "discomfort?"

Yes, hostility against immigrants is ok as long as it isn't directed at Hispanics. They’re simply glad to have the hostility diverted to another group. Where is their compassion? After all, haven’t they been mistreated? I would certainly expect people who whine about being mistreated in this country, and claim to loathe racism and discrimination, not to participate in that behavior. How can they vilify others if they are guilty of the same? Again, hypocrisy.
what? this is an issue about workplace standards. the only time latino workers have unionized or banded together is for livable wages. please provide examples of latinos or other immigrants demanding rights that cut a fellow workers time or pay.

there is no comparison here. this is about muslim prayer breaks. what demands have latinos made?

Old 10-17-2008, 03:43 PM

so when you guys were talking about people lumping hispanics together, you were really talkin about yourself!

if not you would know that latinos are not a monolith. and you wouldnt make this silly assertion. latinos have the same right to complain about preferential treatment in the workplace as do whites or sudanese workers. they forego that right because some people in another city marched for immigrant rights?

really! so much for not putting them all in one category.

wow.

Quote:
Absolutely! Latino illegal aliens and their supporters have done nothing but "demand" from the taxpayers of this country. How dare they complain about another group!

Although I do not believe Muslims should receive preferential treatment, I simply cannot ignore the sheer gall of these Latinos to complain about another group demanding accommodations.

Last edited by the one; 10-17-2008 at 04:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration