Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 12:16 AM

2,258 posts, read 3,494,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I think it has to do with the people who call themselves Mexican because a Mexican is a citizen of Mexico.

It's weird but I've known people who never stepped foot into Mexico, don't know Spanish and they tell people they are Mexican so of course people assume they have immigrated. No other Americans refer to themselves as some kind of foreign citizen.
That doesn't make any sense. If asked "what are you?", you're going to invariably answer 'Mexican', 'German', 'Irish', 'Korean', or 'Too damn mixed to even know'. If I say I'm Mexican, people know that I am of Mexican descent, not that I'm actually a Mexican citizen.

The U.S. is a nation of immigrants, so we've always retained that unique identifier when referring to ourselves. No one says, "I'm American."

Old 10-21-2008, 09:24 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidicarus89 View Post
That doesn't make any sense. If asked "what are you?", you're going to invariably answer 'Mexican', 'German', 'Irish', 'Korean', or 'Too damn mixed to even know'. If I say I'm Mexican, people know that I am of Mexican descent, not that I'm actually a Mexican citizen.

The U.S. is a nation of immigrants, so we've always retained that unique identifier when referring to ourselves. No one says, "I'm American."
Not so true anymore: I self identify as an American of xxx heritage.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:55 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,753,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
youre only one person, Azbear.

Plenty of people refer to themselves as their ethnicity. Kelly Ripa for example.

Old 10-21-2008, 10:01 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
I think the fault lies squarely on illegal immigrant protestors that wave the Mexican flag at their rallies. It does give the impression that the majority of them are Mexican. Plus, most illegal immigration is being done on our southern border...which happens to be with mexico. Obviously, not everyone coming over the border is Mexican, but still...that would be the reason for the assumption that illegal = Mexican.

Now, for people assuming you are a Mexican citizen and not an American citizen because you 'look' Mexican or because you like low riders...well, that has got to be frustrating. Perhaps it would be a good idea for the Americans of Mexican descent to start trying to distance themselves from Mexicans illegally residing in this country.

Old 10-21-2008, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I think the fault lies squarely on illegal immigrant protestors that wave the Mexican flag at their rallies. It does give the impression that the majority of them are Mexican. Plus, most illegal immigration is being done on our southern border...which happens to be with mexico. Obviously, not everyone coming over the border is Mexican, but still...that would be the reason for the assumption that illegal = Mexican.

Now, for people assuming you are a Mexican citizen and not an American citizen because you 'look' Mexican or because you like low riders...well, that has got to be frustrating. Perhaps it would be a good idea for the Americans of Mexican descent to start trying to distance themselves from Mexicans illegally residing in this country.
Or people could just stop racial profiling.

The ONLY way to really find out someones status is by checking their papers. And unless you have a reason to be checking papers, its not really your problem. Let employers deal with that.

Why should Mexican-Americans change their lifestyle to avoid being profiled by a non-Latino? Doesn't sound fair to me.

Some of us can't help looking "Mexican". I think a lot of people can try not to profile, especially if they have no business asking people for papers.

Old 10-21-2008, 10:16 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post

The ONLY way to really find out someones status is by checking their papers. And unless you have a reason to be checking papers, its not really your problem. Let employers deal with that.

Why should Mexican-Americans change their lifestyle to avoid being profiled by a non-Latino? Doesn't sound fair to me.

Some of us can't help looking "Mexican". I think a lot of people can try not to profile, especially if they have no business asking people for papers.
Very true....and I certainly do not go around asking for peoples papers. I do make the assumption that someone is an immigrant (whether legal or not I can't nor do I care to discern) if they are speaking a foreign language. I would imagine you do, too.
Is that also racial profiling? If so, everyone is guilty of that. But to see a face that is different from mine -- no, I do not assume they are new to the country at all.

Now to the point I was trying to make was merely this...yes, mexican and illegal are linked in most peoples minds. If you don't like it talk with lulac, laraza, calderon and the rest of the Mexican government and consulates to stop pushing into our (us citizens of all races and ethnicities) collective mindset that to be mexican is to most likely be an illegal immigrant. Not american of mexican descent mind you, but a mexican living in the us. They are the ones you should have the beef with.

Old 10-21-2008, 10:19 AM

4,803 posts, read 8,749,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidicarus89 View Post

Quote:
I have to agree with AZ. I identify myself as an American.

If someone asks for my pedigree, I'll give it, but I don't wear it on my sleeve. I am an American first--the rest is simply frosting on the cake.

Old 10-21-2008, 10:20 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post

Why not change their lifestyle if needed to assimilate into the dominant culture? The Irish did it as well as the Italians, Japanese, etc.

I am not referring to holding onto certain customs if they do not conflict with mainstream society (foods, music, etc). OTOH: learning English is paramount.

When a person immigrates to the USA: 'do in Rome as the Romans would do'.

You may call it cultural 'genocide'---------I call it assimilation.

Old 10-21-2008, 10:30 AM

608 posts, read 923,767 times
Quote:
Why not change their lifestyle if needed to assimilate into the dominant culture? The Irish did it as well as the Italians, Japanese, etc.

I am not referring to holding onto certain customs if they do not conflict with mainstream society (foods, music, etc). OTOH: learning English is paramount.

Agreed. The US is a melting pot of many races and cultures. The only way a nation as diverse as we are can move forward is by adopting common language, laws, and social standards. This doesn´t mean that no group can maintain most of its root culture, as much as it simply means that we all have some common ground to stand on. Problems don´t arise until a large group of people within this melting pot fail to follow these basic unwritten rules and refuse to find common ground with everyone else.

Old 10-21-2008, 10:32 AM

Quote:

Arent people already doing that? Is that what Chicanos are all about?
But to bring up "low riding" and "associating with possibly illegal people"? Whats that all about?
To want to speak Spanish with relatives who only speak Spanish? Big deal.

FACT is, Latinos are assimilating just like everyone else. Theres just a lot more Latino immigrants present at the moment, leading you guys to conclude "they aren't assimilating." But thats a lie, or a really big piece of misinformation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration