U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2007, 08:08 PM

17,449 posts, read 22,978,485 times

Advertisements

I don't know who else has read James Morone's book "Hellfire Nation: The Politics of Sin in American History", but I found it to be quite fascinating in its discussion of moral panics throughout US history. The reason I am bringing it up here on the immigration board is because Morone makes an interesting thesis regarding left/right swings in American politics and culture in relation to immigration. He hypothesizes that social conservatism is at its strongest during eras of high immigration and at its weakest during eras of low immigration. For example, the late 19th and early 20th century, when immigration was high, was an era of puritanical crusades, fundamentalist religion, nativism, xenophobia, racism and dog-eat-dog Social Darwinism. The great era of American liberalism which began with the New Deal coincided with an era of relatively low immigration (in the case of the FDR years, probably the lowest immigration in US history). The social liberalism of the 1960s/early 1970s and the triumphs of the civil rights movement coincided with the point in US history that immigrants made up a smaller percentage of the population than they ever had before and have since. However, the rise of the Religious Right, a resurgent neo-puritanism, and a series of moral panics of various sorts such as the "culture wars" have accompanied the huge increase in immigration that began in the late 1970s. Is it entirely possible that if immigration were reduced America would become more liberal? Do social and economic conservatism need immigrants as a scapegoat to thrive, and with fewer immigrants is it possible that they would be eclipsed as they were during the mid 20th century? Would America be a better place to live, and more accepting of genuine diversity (as opposed to the "diversity industry") with reduced immigration, such as that immigrants already here could be better integrated? Would America's view of sexuality and the use of substances (long linked to anxiety about immigration, as Morone demonstrates) become more tolerant and less rigid again with reduced levels of immigration? Please discuss.

Last edited by majoun; 02-16-2007 at 08:47 PM.. Reason: new title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2007, 09:19 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,021,654 times
I don't need to discuss. I agree with all your and/or Morone's premises. (surprised?)

Example from the past: artist Joan Baez* exemplified a worldly view for a young artist when she started out, tempered with empathy and zeal to do right by America, even if it meant actively dealing with opposing philosophies. If she were an artist at the beginning of her career TODAY, she'd be compartmentalized as a Latina, marketable only to people of her identical ethnic background, and lost to the rest of us. (* I actually preferred listening to her sister Mimi, who later started a fabulous charity called Bread & Roses, presenting performers to play for nursing homes, hospitals and prisons.)

I am so glad to read your usage of "the diversity industry!" When I moved to my part of L.A., there was actual diversity, with people from many different continents and backgrounds. After the 1994 earthquake, the house values here dropped like lead weights, we lost our professionals, and the demographic changed, thanks to Govt. loans for the damaged foreclosures to all Latino, who soon rented out their acquisitions to illegals. The illegals are actively nasty to people not from "their home country," and fairly lawless in general. They've trashed the neighborhood, caused numerous local car wrecks, etc. Guess what conclusions have been drawn by the original inhabitants left in this neighborhood?

Old 02-17-2007, 10:28 AM

1,735 posts, read 4,139,762 times
I would say this has more to do with cause and effect than anything else.
When you are oven run by people that are from a 3rd world country it shouldn’t come as a big surprise that once the limit is reached there would be a backlash.
Just like a child that will continue to push the limits until you have had enough. The longer it’s left unchecked the harder it is to correct.
In CA the limit was reached a long time ago, but our liberal leaders and judges have stopped any attempt to stop the problem.
Now other less tolerant states are seeing the problem manifest itself and the leaders are hearing loud and clear that the limit has been reached. They now know they better make changes or the people will take matters in their own hands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration