U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 09:01 AM

4,276 posts, read 7,891,462 times

Advertisements

But I'm talking about Mexico and Central America. You've seen Mexican telenovas and other forms of media, right? Upper class Mexicans are usually/mostly of Spanish descent and look "White." They usually stay in Mexico.

Cuba has had a lot of middle class immigration to the U.S., mainly in the 1960s when Castro came to power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newportbeachsmostwanted View Post
Many people from upper classes move to the U.S. to escape the oppresive tax rates overseas. Mr. Ikea(Ikea Furniture of Sweden) is a perfect example as well as the thousands of wealthy Chinese and Vietnamise immigrants.

Old 12-31-2007, 11:34 AM

21 posts, read 93,001 times
MONTEBELLO California

Hispanic: 74.6%
College Degree: 15%
Unemployment Rate: 6.4%
Median Income: 44.6k

I know it's just under 45k so dont bother telling me - and whoever found Doyle was great! Who cares about 2 percent?

If anyone wants to cotinue this the hisp. pop. has been lowered to 60% and income to 40k!

Old 12-31-2007, 11:36 AM

21 posts, read 93,001 times
Its in SoCal too!

Old 12-31-2007, 11:46 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,633,862 times
Note too that in 'Hispanic' culture; the ones who are obviously White are much less likely to consider themselves Latino to begin with.

I once knew a woman with the surname 'Gonzales'; she referred to herself as 'White'. Her father was of Spanish lineage and her mother was stereotypical Anglo-Irish judging by the daughter's complexion and facial features.

Old 12-31-2007, 01:35 PM

46 posts, read 139,680 times
Hispanic refers to Spain and Latino refers to Latin America so I wouldn't expect any hispanic/spanish to say they were latino. People of Spanish origin wouldn't classify themselves as Latino because they are from europe and therefore white, like the italians, the french, the greeks etc.

Old 12-31-2007, 01:41 PM

13,050 posts, read 21,172,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doily View Post
Hispanic refers to Spain and Latino refers to Latin America so I wouldn't expect any hispanic/spanish to say they were latino. People of Spanish origin wouldn't classify themselves as Latino because they are from europe and therefore white, like the italians, the french, the greeks etc.
Do you have any clue where the word Latino comes from? Might it be LATIN? Do you know where LATIN comes from? The points made in this forum are sometimes staggering.

Old 12-31-2007, 01:45 PM

419 posts, read 1,809,465 times
I suspect the cities with a higher income but still a Hispanic population is more likely filled with people who are from Cuba or Spanish dominated Latin America. They may call themselves Hispanic but are actually European. The Hispanics most people are talking about are mostly Indian and have a completely different culture than someone from Spain, Argentina or Chile.

Old 12-31-2007, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Do you have any clue where the word Latino comes from? Might it be LATIN? Do you know where LATIN comes from? The points made in this forum are sometimes staggering.

Of course I do according to wikipedia Latin refers to:
The Latin peoples, also known as Romance peoples, are those European linguistic culturalgroups(and their cultural descendants all over the world) that speak Romance languages and mostly inhabit Latin Europe.The Romance languages descend from Vulgar Latin.
The European Latin peoples include:

Andorrans French Corsicans Italians Sammarinese Luxembourgers (only French speakers) Monégasques Portuguese Spanish Swiss(only Romance speakers)
Vlachs Aromanians Istro-Romanians Megleno-Romanians Moldovans Morlachs Romanians Walloon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romance_peoples

Last edited by doily; 12-31-2007 at 02:04 PM.. Reason: link problems

Old 12-31-2007, 02:08 PM

13,050 posts, read 21,172,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doily View Post

Of course I do according to wikipedia Latin refers to:
The Latin peoples, also known as Romance peoples, are those European linguistic culturalgroups(and their cultural descendants all over the world) that speak Romance languages and mostly inhabit Latin Europe.The Romance languages descend from Vulgar Latin.
The European Latin peoples include:

Andorrans French Corsicans Italians Sammarinese Luxembourgers (only French speakers) Monégasques Portuguese Spanish Swiss(only Romance speakers)
Vlachs Aromanians Istro-Romanians Megleno-Romanians Moldovans Morlachs Romanians Walloon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romance_peoples
And does that not contradict your previous post?

Old 12-31-2007, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
And does that not contradict your previous post?
Latinos come from Latino America they are different than the Latins of Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or