U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 05:30 PM

858 posts, read 2,690,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
Limiting your children's potential. Great.
Thanks...... Im going to!!

Old 12-24-2008, 05:37 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,640,026 times
Quote:
Limiting your children's potential. Great.
Looking at so many 'Latino' children born and raised in the USA----------------all tioo many of them speak accented English.

Which tends to hold them back in life.

BTW: most regional accents up to and including the Southern drawl tend to negatively stereotype people.

Now for weird: the news was interviewing a 'Latina' with the surname of Rodriguez---------------what hit me was her accent. She was an Australian. Envision a British accent with some Spanish undertones.

Old 12-24-2008, 07:00 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,900,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Looking at so many 'Latino' children born and raised in the USA----------------all tioo many of them speak accented English.

Which tends to hold them back in life.

BTW: most regional accents up to and including the Southern drawl tend to negatively stereotype people.

Now for weird: the news was interviewing a 'Latina' with the surname of Rodriguez---------------what hit me was her accent. She was an Australian. Envision a British accent with some Spanish undertones.
Who cares about an accent? As long as they are speaking English, so what? And I don't know what you're talking about with that. Honestly, it's one of many things I find you to be exaggerating or making up.

Maybe you could show some proof of these Mexican-Americans with heavy accents.......?

Old 12-24-2008, 07:10 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,640,026 times
Quote:
Who cares about an accent? As long as they are speaking English, so what? And I don't know what you're talking about with that. Honestly, it's one of many things I find you to be exaggerating or making up.

Maybe you could show some proof of these Mexican-Americans with heavy accents.......?
I have heard it all too often with my own two ears................

Old 12-24-2008, 09:22 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,893,897 times
Knowledge is power... Knowing a second language can only be looked at as having another tool in the toolbox. Its not a bad thing. That is unless its mandated. Which for now it isn't. John don't be reluctant to encourage your kids to learn a second language. It does not need to be spanish. In fact it can be fun. Especially when learning the swear words. LOL Its amazing what other cultures consider an insult. For example in Thai culture calling someone a garbage eating Lizard ranks right up there with calling them a mother f*&ker. LOL
In short it can open doors someday.
The issue with accents? I still don't really understand that one. At least where I live the accent will change from town to town.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Knowledge is power... Knowing a second language can only be looked at as having another tool in the toolbox. Its not a bad thing. That is unless its mandated. Which for now it isn't. John don't be reluctant to encourage your kids to learn a second language. It does not need to be spanish. In fact it can be fun. Especially when learning the swear words. LOL Its amazing what other cultures consider an insult. For example in Thai culture calling someone a garbage eating Lizard ranks right up there with calling them a mother f*&ker. LOL
In short it can open doors someday.
The issue with accents? I still don't really understand that one. At least where I live the accent will change from town to town.
Well unlike the illegals that pop out more kids in one day then I can put miles on my car!! Me and my wife, are still trying for are first one. But when and If I do get luckly to have a child. I will let him or her decide what language they might want to learn.. The last thing we need on this borad is another me in 18 years..

Old 12-24-2008, 09:43 PM

197 posts, read 231,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Agreed.

Flip side is that English is extremely difficult to speak properly due to its lack of rules.

Another tongue spoken by many people that is a bugger is Chinese (probably Mandarin).

I don't think english is a difficult language to learn, since most of its roots
are latin, greek, germanic etc., it does have grammatical rules, but here in the U.S. they are broken down and not properly followed, in England the story is different, but we have swayed away so far, that we no longer
understand proper English, and have yo rely on sub-titles for the local
audiences when someone from England talks.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:44 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,893,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John From Scranton View Post
Well unlike the illegals that pop out more kids in one day then I can put miles on my car!! Me and my wife, are still trying for are first one. But when and If I do get luckly to have a child. I will let him or her decide what language they might want to learn.. The last thing we need on this borad is another me in 18 years..
John you are just fine brother... And I'll pray for you and your wife to conceive. In the mean time practice makes perfect.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:50 PM

8,180 posts, read 11,039,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mori-vivi View Post
I don't think english is a difficult language to learn, since most of its roots
are latin, greek, germanic etc., it does have grammatical rules, but here in the U.S. they are broken down and not properly followed, in England the story is different, but we have swayed away so far, that we no longer
understand proper English, and have yo rely on sub-titles for the local
audiences when someone from England talks.
What are you talking about? I can and do understand the BBC just fine, thank you. It is not the grammar or vocabulary that hinders Americans from understanding some Brits but their regional accents.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
John you are just fine brother... And I'll pray for you and your wife to conceive. In the mean time practice makes perfect.
Thanks tinman01!! I look at it this way... The longer it takes the more fun I have waiting for it to happen... If ya know what I mean..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration