U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 09:53 PM

8,180 posts, read 11,033,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Looking at so many 'Latino' children born and raised in the USA----------------all tioo many of them speak accented English.

Which tends to hold them back in life.

BTW: most regional accents up to and including the Southern drawl tend to negatively stereotype people.

Now for weird: the news was interviewing a 'Latina' with the surname of Rodriguez---------------what hit me was her accent. She was an Australian. Envision a British accent with some Spanish undertones.

I recall when the olympics where held in Japan a few years ago, and the Today show interviewed a group of Geishas -- one of whom went to the University of SC at Chapel Hill. Imagine a geisha in full make up talking with a heavy southern drawl and ending the interview with 'GO Bulldogs! WHOOT!" (or whatever the team mascot is)
Very cute and fun

Old 12-25-2008, 12:23 AM

1,636 posts, read 2,898,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
What are you talking about? I can and do understand the BBC just fine, thank you. It is not the grammar or vocabulary that hinders Americans from understanding some Brits but their regional accents.
It's not just the accent that is different. They are almost different dialects. Just like many things are different from Spain Spanish and Mexican Spanish.

http://www.businesspundit.com/wp-con...hael-scott.jpg

Old 12-25-2008, 12:24 AM

14,095 posts, read 22,967,124 times
If you're trying to become a citizen of Mexico you're required to learn Spanish.

Old 12-25-2008, 02:22 AM

858 posts, read 2,688,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
If you're trying to become a citizen of Mexico you're required to learn Spanish.
Same go's for the USA!! English!!

Old 12-25-2008, 08:28 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
What are you talking about? I can and do understand the BBC just fine, thank you. It is not the grammar or vocabulary that hinders Americans from understanding some Brits but their regional accents.
BBC English is easy to understand----------------Cockney: OTOH............

Side note here: the local TV news was interviewing a woman visiting from Australia stuck in the snow at an airport here in the USA; her accent was a bit odd-----------then I glanced at the screen. She was a 'Latina' with the surname Rodriguez whose Aussie English accent had slight Hispanic Spanish undertones.

Old 12-25-2008, 12:09 PM

858 posts, read 2,688,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Side note here: the local TV news was interviewing a woman visiting from Australia stuck in the snow at an airport here in the USA; her accent was a bit odd-----------then I glanced at the screen. She was a 'Latina' with the surname Rodriguez whose Aussie English accent had slight Hispanic Spanish undertones.
See already!! Another one!!

Old 12-25-2008, 12:28 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John From Scranton View Post
See already!! Another one!!
Fair dinkum Aussie!

There are quite a few Australian (and English) people with Spanish surnames.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,484 times
A few more things. They are paying taxes just like you. they work for their money just like you. They pay to get by in life just like you. As long as they respect you (and you don't demand it) you should not have a problem with it. You tell me, how is it when they speak in Spanish so you don't hear any more rude or unacceptable as your turning and whispering to your friend/co-worker?

Old 04-08-2009, 10:29 PM

946 posts, read 2,154,160 times
I lived in Spain and had a roommate from Badajoz, about 10 miles from the Portugal border. As a point of pride, he had never gone to Portugal. Most of the people spoke only Spanish, as a point of pride, deliberately refusing to learn English. My impression of people in this area was colored by this almost universal refusal to acquire new language skills and new viewpoints.

The same dynamic is at work in America. Looking at Craigslist in Las Vegas, every few days a listing appears with extensive admonishments about callers who speak Spanish. The car sellers get aggravated and some probably post angry comments here.

I learned Spanish.

As much as I hate gotcha questions, guess who sells more cars?

You can use a situation to justify your feelings by complaining, or you can meet the challenge.

I have little sympathy for those who choose the former.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:46 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,881,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotkey View Post
A few more things. They are paying taxes just like you. they work for their money just like you. They pay to get by in life just like you. As long as they respect you (and you don't demand it) you should not have a problem with it. You tell me, how is it when they speak in Spanish so you don't hear any more rude or unacceptable as your turning and whispering to your friend/co-worker?
Some do. But not all and quite possibly not even most. I agree with the rest of your post. I speak Thai to my wife sometimes in public when I don't want the world to know what we are talking about. In fact long before I get upset about someone speaking spanish in public cell phone users are by far more annoying. I swear they speak louder just so everyone else can hear their half of the conversation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration