U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 04-09-2009, 11:28 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Reputation: 3785

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
More concerning filling out forms, and all the more technical stuff. It says "Merge Left" on the test, not "Changer a Gauche", at least that's what she told me. The instructions are in French, but the signs are in English.

So for example

C'est placard represent: (stop sign)
1) Arret
2) Continuer
3) Tuer

(This sign represents, with picture of a stop sign: 1) stop, 2) continue 3) kill). So, the "stop" sign is in English, but the instructions were (again according to her) in French.
Yet in France as well as most of the rest of Europe today: the word 'STOP', not 'ARRET' is used on their stop signs.

Translation: their stop signs are identical to ours in color and shape.

 
Old 04-09-2009, 11:29 AM
 
3,536 posts, read 5,076,327 times
Reputation: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Yet in France as well as most of the rest of Europe today: the word 'STOP', not 'ARRET' is used on their stop signs.

Translation: their stop signs are identical to ours in color and shape.


It was an example as well.
 
Old 04-09-2009, 12:08 PM
 
8,180 posts, read 11,032,296 times
Reputation: 2873
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
More concerning filling out forms, and all the more technical stuff. It says "Merge Left" on the test, not "Changer a Gauche", at least that's what she told me. The instructions are in French, but the signs are in English.

So for example

C'est placard represent: (stop sign)
1) Arret
2) Continuer
3) Tuer

(This sign represents, with picture of a stop sign: 1) stop, 2) continue 3) kill). So, the "stop" sign is in English, but the instructions were (again according to her) in French.

OK, first of all --- you mom had to choose between stop, continue and kill? What the hell kind of traffic problems are occuring in your part of the country?

However, seeing a red octagonal sign whether it says 'stop' or 'arret' is not my point. I am talking about electronic signs that are on interstates. These signs will have emergency messages on them such as 'merge left' 'right lane closed ahead' and even much longer messages detailing road conditions/hazards and the like. As well as amber alerts. Could you mom or any other person whose primary language is not English be able to understand and obey those electronic signs? Or would it confuse them? Remember, these signs are on the interstate and as a driver you only have a few seconds to read and implement what you read. If a person is unable to do so, then yes he or she is a hazard on the road and should not be driving.
 
Old 04-09-2009, 12:33 PM
 
3,536 posts, read 5,076,327 times
Reputation: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
OK, first of all --- you mom had to choose between stop, continue and kill? What the hell kind of traffic problems are occuring in your part of the country?

However, seeing a red octagonal sign whether it says 'stop' or 'arret' is not my point. I am talking about electronic signs that are on interstates. These signs will have emergency messages on them such as 'merge left' 'right lane closed ahead' and even much longer messages detailing road conditions/hazards and the like. As well as amber alerts. Could you mom or any other person whose primary language is not English be able to understand and obey those electronic signs? Or would it confuse them? Remember, these signs are on the interstate and as a driver you only have a few seconds to read and implement what you read. If a person is unable to do so, then yes he or she is a hazard on the road and should not be driving.
I see your concern. The thing is with driving that many people, at least in LA, also do follow the flow of traffic. So for example if the left lane were closed, and people shifted lanes, people would go and shift before seeing the sign. For example, on the way to the office (don't tell my boss I'm goofing around right now lol) I simply shifted lanes like everyone else in front of me only to see the left lane was closed...I shifted before the sign.

Also, if you are at the level of driving, you can understand "merge" and "left" or other simple directions. Since the test again has English words in it.
 
Old 04-09-2009, 12:56 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
Why should WE learn Spanish and the illegals don't have to learn English?

WHY?
Silly question....If WE learn Spanish, why would the illegals have to learn English? They could communicate with us in Spanish, (which we'd all learned). Why should BOTH groups be penalized?

Besides, if people are illegal, they don't HAVE to do ANYTHING....when a motorist runs from the police, we don't ask "Why didn't he use his turn signals ?", do we? Of COURSE he doesn't follow the rules of the road...He's RUNNING from the COPS!!...

Silly question.....
 
Old 04-09-2009, 03:33 PM
 
Location: San Diego
32,798 posts, read 30,025,534 times
Reputation: 17687
Amber alerts are in English. Sig alerts are in English.
 
Old 04-09-2009, 04:05 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Amber alerts are in English. Sig alerts are in English.
True..but "NO PARKING" is half in Spanish, and half in English...and so are "TACO BELL", and "BAJA FRESH", and "MISSION VIEJO" and "LAGUNA BEACH"......which seems to me to be a pretty good compromise....
 
Old 04-09-2009, 06:07 PM
 
117 posts, read 259,365 times
Reputation: 87
If they know English, then what's the problem? Everyone has a right to conversate to each other in whatever language they want as long as they use English when doing business in this country. My Aunts speak Spanish to each other all the time, but when we go to Burger King, they order in English. By the way Spanish is actually thier SECOND language! You just need to mind your own business because obviously they didn't want you to know what they were saying. I don't tell my Korean co-workers to speak English to each other.
 
Old 04-12-2009, 09:40 AM
 
27 posts, read 33,205 times
Reputation: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael85225 View Post
If they know English, then what's the problem? Everyone has a right to conversate to each other in whatever language they want as long as they use English when doing business in this country. My Aunts speak Spanish to each other all the time, but when we go to Burger King, they order in English. By the way Spanish is actually thier SECOND language! You just need to mind your own business because obviously they didn't want you to know what they were saying. I don't tell my Korean co-workers to speak English to each other.

Well said !
 
Old 10-27-2009, 11:52 AM
 
Location: Durham, NC
499 posts, read 1,371,864 times
Reputation: 421
Because the corporate controlled politicians and media are doing everything they can to help create a permanent underclass of cheap labor pools that can be exploited for years to come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top