U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 02:19 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,640,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
If they speak English, whats the problem?
They have every right to speak Pig Latin if they want.
If you feel left out, maybe you should learn Spanish.

Why do you care anyways? They werent talking to you in Spanish. People shouldn't be eavesdropping anyways.
It is very rude to speak in a different language at work to deliberately 'leave out' a co-worker.

That is a very sore point with me especially:

Some years ago a bunch of Euros started jabbering away in front of me in Hungarian-----------never mind that I do not speak that language yet they all were fluent in English. This incident occurred right here in the USA at a social function. Apparently what pissed off those asshats was due to my being of 1/2 Hungarian lineage and not knowing their tongue. I damn near cussed 'em out in Spanish.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:25 PM

3,172 posts, read 5,998,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
It is very rude to speak in a different language at work to deliberately 'leave out' a co-worker.

That is a very sore point with me especially:

Some years ago a bunch of Euros started jabbering away in front of me in Hungarian-----------never mind that I do not speak that language yet they all were fluent in English. This incident occurred right here in the USA at a social function. Apparently what pissed off those asshats was due to my being of 1/2 Hungarian lineage and not knowing their tongue. I damn near cussed 'em out in Spanish.
Yeah, and some people like to whisper too. It sucks.
Is this thread about etiquette and manners?

Next week, we'll discuss illegals(but actually Hispanics) using tortillas to grab their food instead of a salad fork and dinner fork.

It irritates me too when people are talking Spanish and I'm having a hard time following, or theres a person with us that can't speak it at all. And it also irritates me when people are talking in English, but among themselves and putting their back to me.

But the coworkers in the OPs story speak English, so its not really an immigration issue, or a sign of Hispanics not wanting to learn English. They already know English(more than likely fluently), and just choose to speak Spanish with each other. A lot of bilingual people like to do that.

If everybody was in a conversation, talking about important business, and they busted out with Spanish, then yeah thats rude. If theyre talking to each other, thats their choice. The op has no right to call them out and make an argument about it. Is she just upset she couldn't eavesdrop?

Thats like two people having a discussion on politics, and someone jumping in saying, "Hey! I dont like to talk about politics!".

The co-workers were probably irritated when they said "you should learn Spanish, then!", not meaning it in the literal sense. I'd be irritated too and would probably tell someone to go F them self and mind their own business.(no offense to the OP, just saying how I'd take the situation if someone jumped in a conversation and told me how to have it.)
Or if I was in a good mood, and didnt get irritated, I'd say, "this is an A and B conversation, so C your way you before you get F'd up, G!"

Old 10-24-2008, 02:28 PM

8,022 posts, read 8,090,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVTX72 View Post
Why should WE learn Spanish and the illegals don't have to learn English?

Me and some co-workers/friends had a really heated discussion earlier this week, and it stemmed from two of the hispanic girls speaking Spanish while everyone else was speaking English. One of the girls was born in Laredo Texas, therefore she IMO is American with Mexican descent. I asked her why, since they both know English, do they continue to speak Spanish around everyone else. She simply answered, "then you should learn Spanish", the other girl agreed with her. This set me off! I reminded her that she was an AMERICAN, she started saying she was Mexican, this went on for a few minutes. I also informed her that I am Czech and Irish, but I don't go around speaking Gaelic and Slovak. Then I asked her if she thought the illegals needed to learn English, she said NO. I then informed her that if they want to be in OUR country then they need to learn OUR language. Then I asked her a question which stumped her. "If you were to move to China or France, would you expect them to learn Spanish or would you learn Chinese or French"? She didn't have an answer other than "you still need to learn Spanish".

What brings on this mentality? I am not saying ALL hispanics do this, but more often than not it seems they EXPECT US to learn THEIR language, and not have to learn Ours?

WHY?
I learned Spanish so I could make sure my tiolet was cleaned properly and my grass was cut to the correct height..........

Old 10-24-2008, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Yeah, and some people like to whisper too. It sucks.
Is this thread about etiquette and manners?

Next week, we'll discuss illegals(but actually Hispanics) using tortillas to grab their food instead of a salad fork and dinner fork.

It irritates me too when people are talking Spanish and I'm having a hard time following, or theres a person with us that can't speak it at all. And it also irritates me when people are talking in English, but among themselves and putting their back to me.

But the coworkers in the OPs story speak English, so its not really an immigration issue, or a sign of Hispanics not wanting to learn English. They already know English(more than likely fluently), and just choose to speak Spanish with each other. A lot of bilingual people like to do that.

If everybody was in a conversation, talking about important business, and they busted out with Spanish, then yeah thats rude. If theyre talking to each other, thats their choice. The op has no right to call them out and make an argument about it. Is she just upset she couldn't eavesdrop?
Long story short: speaking any language other than English in a typical work setting is indeed an excellent way to be ostracized by the dominant society.

Assimilate or be sidelined.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:33 PM

6,011 posts, read 6,730,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
And FYI many French in France are going to know Spanish because most Euros know many languages...

well europe is like the whole USA....ITS THAT CLOSE in approximity of one country to the next with different languages etc...

you can take trains from one country to another and see the changes in language which means its pretty much imperative to no more than 1 language

Old 10-24-2008, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Long story short: speaking any language other than English in a typical work setting is indeed an excellent way to be ostracized by the dominant society.

Assimilate or be sidelined.
Sidelined? Do you think the boss would discriminate against them by regulation how they choose to talk among themselves, when its not work related?
More than likely, the OP would get sent to diversity training for starting a conflict in the workplace over something as trivial as how two employees talked to each other. I'd consider that sidelined.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:51 PM

Quote:
That's why English needs to be the OFFICIAL LANGUAGE of this country. And no I don't feel left out, I just feel its very rude. I guess you failed to see my point that alot of people share with me. If they want to speak Spanish they can, in MEXICO!

When a group of people are sitting at a table with you and having a conversation with you and then they turn to each other and speak some foreign jibberish, its not "eavesdropping", ITS BEING RUDE......What part of that do you not understand? Or are you one of those that speak English and then turn to your friend and speak Spanish??? I think I already know my answer, thank you!!
What do you thinks going to happen when they make English the official language?
Everytime you'll hear someone speak Spanish, you'll be able to call the Gestapo to pick them up and jail them?

Old 10-24-2008, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elousv View Post
She may be a citizen, but not an American in my eyes.
Because she knows Spanish? Even though she's born and raised in the U.S., more than likely has English as her first language, but just because she knows Spanish and chooses to speak it sometimes, shes not an American?
Jeeesus Christ ..too much.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Sidelined? Do you think the boss would discriminate against them by regulation how they choose to talk among themselves, when its not work related?
More than likely, the OP would get sent to diversity training for starting a conflict in the workplace over something as trivial as how two employees talked to each other. I'd consider that sidelined.
Enjoy your 'diversity training' for the moment---------that nonsense will soon be going away I suspect as pertains to kowtowing to some people for using a language other than English in the workplace.

Again: assimilate or be sidelined.

Old 10-24-2008, 03:00 PM

15,088 posts, read 16,946,617 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by elousv View Post
She may be a citizen, but not an American in my eyes.
Quote:
Because she knows Spanish? Even though she's born and raised in the U.S., more than likely has English as her first language, but just because she knows Spanish and chooses to speak it sometimes, shes not an American?
Jeeesus Christ ..too much.
amc760, it is hard to say otherwise when even the Spanish-speaker didn't think she was an American according to the OP's original post:

Quote:
Why should WE learn Spanish and the illegals don't have to learn English?

Me and some co-workers/friends had a really heated discussion earlier this week, and it stemmed from two of the hispanic girls speaking Spanish while everyone else was speaking English. One of the girls was born in Laredo Texas, therefore she IMO is American with Mexican descent. I asked her why, since they both know English, do they continue to speak Spanish around everyone else. She simply answered, "then you should learn Spanish", the other girl agreed with her. This set me off! I reminded her that she was an AMERICAN, she started saying she was Mexican, this went on for a few minutes. I also informed her that I am Czech and Irish, but I don't go around speaking Gaelic and Slovak.

WHY?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration