U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 05:22 PM

3,173 posts, read 4,326,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elousv View Post
Sure, but it does not matter. The OP could have recorded the conversation in front of the Supreme Court or it could be pure fiction. The post was made with the intent of illiciting responses. Based on the description of 'Meez Laredo' , I find her behavior patently un-American.
Meez Laredo?

Oh, I see. Since she knows how to speak Spanish, we're assuming its her first language and she has a funny Mexican accent. jajajaja.

Seriously though, just fyi..theres lots of Chicanos/Chicanas who speak great Spanish and like to converse in it and yet have English as their first and primary language.

Old 10-24-2008, 05:46 PM

1,435 posts, read 2,620,161 times
Quote:
I dont think only white people in upperclass enclaves and gated communities are speaking English. I could be wrong though
Those are the only neighborhoods in Southern California where you hear more English being spoken than Spanish. In the bairros that I have been to I have heard more Spanish being spoken than English, and the sight of Mexican, Salvadorian, Nicaraguan flags, etc being displayed whether in people's homes, cars, or stores were more common than the sight of American flags.

Old 10-24-2008, 07:09 PM

74 posts, read 78,282 times
I have had the same problem in a way at my work.
There is two ladies that work in the teachers lunch area. Both of them Hispanic, one older lady and one pretty young about 30 maybe.
The thing is every time I want to get food they talk to me in Spanish, It is really starting to aggravate me.
So what if I speak Spanish?! We are in the workplace in The United States of America.
I feel so offended, she( the younger one) just started talking to me in Spanish the first time she saw me just because I "looked" Hispanic. And she continues to speak Spanish to me even though my responses to her have always been 100% in English. I didnt even know what a chalupa was lol.
I can understand if the older lady has a hard time speaking English and I completely respect that she is trying to work and make a living. I would not be mad at her, like I understand that my grandma at 90 years old is not going to be fluent in English any time soon.

But this other lady just aggravates me!
If she does it again I am gonna ask her please not to, and ask her why she does?
If she continues, then the school is going to hear form me.

Just comes to show. They dont care about assimilating, they just want this country to be converted to a territory of mexico.

Old 10-24-2008, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzalosalcedo09 View Post
I have had the same problem in a way at my work.
There is two ladies that work in the teachers lunch area. Both of them Hispanic, one older lady and one pretty young about 30 maybe.
The thing is every time I want to get food they talk to me in Spanish, It is really starting to aggravate me.
So what if I speak Spanish?! We are in the workplace in The United States of America.
I feel so offended, she( the younger one) just started talking to me in Spanish the first time she saw me just because I "looked" Hispanic. And she continues to speak Spanish to me even though my responses to her have always been 100% in English. I didnt even know what a chalupa was lol.
I can understand if the older lady has a hard time speaking English and I completely respect that she is trying to work and make a living. I would not be mad at her, like I understand that my grandma at 90 years old is not going to be fluent in English any time soon.

But this other lady just aggravates me!
If she does it again I am gonna ask her please not to, and ask her why she does?
If she continues, then the school is going to hear form me.

Just comes to show. They dont care about assimilating, they just want this country to be converted to a territory of mexico.
Because she speaks English, and likes to converse in Spanish. Right.
What a ridiculous statement.
Why would she care about assimilating, if she's already assimilated! Assimilated means picking up on English..you don't have to not ever speak Spanish to be "assimilated".
And the phrase is "just goes to show"

Old 10-24-2008, 08:17 PM

91 posts, read 174,603 times
More importantly than why dont they learn english

Why does every recording say "press 1 for english" when it should be "press 1 for spanish" I am speaking the language that around 98 percent of the nation speaks. I should not be the one having to press buttons to hear the language that is the language used by most of us

I dont care if they speak it amongst themselves. Just dont expect me to learn it because you dont want to learn ours. You are here in America not Mexico. When I go to Mexico, Philippines etc I do NOT expect them to all to know the language. So I brush up on my skills to suit where I am at the moment in question

Old 10-24-2008, 08:35 PM

21,157 posts, read 25,713,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Because she speaks English, and likes to converse in Spanish. Right.
What a ridiculous statement.
Why would she care about assimilating, if she's already assimilated! Assimilated means picking up on English..you don't have to not ever speak Spanish to be "assimilated".
And the phrase is "just goes to show"
I agree with Gonzalosalcedo09's sentiments 100%

Old 10-24-2008, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillScoggin View Post
More importantly than why dont they learn english

Why does every recording say "press 1 for english" when it should be "press 1 for spanish" I am speaking the language that around 98 percent of the nation speaks. I should not be the one having to press buttons to hear the language that is the language used by most of us

I dont care if they speak it amongst themselves. Just dont expect me to learn it because you dont want to learn ours. You are here in America not Mexico. When I go to Mexico, Philippines etc I do NOT expect them to all to know the language. So I brush up on my skills to suit where I am at the moment in question
And the irony is despite the 'best' efforts of the Philippine government to get its people to speak Tagalog-------------the de facto (and an official) language is indeed English.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
So tell him, then. What are you tellin me for?
Simple: I support his opinion on this topic-----------not yours.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Simple: I support his opinion on this topic-----------not yours.
Let him know and pat him on the back.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:28 PM

3,216 posts, read 5,702,595 times
These people the OP is referring to speak English and are American..they choose to speak Spanish to each other...maybe rude but I still assert that they said something that they did not want you to know...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration