U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 10-25-2008, 10:43 AM
 
8,180 posts, read 11,032,296 times
Reputation: 2873

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
Many of us assumed you were a her...My bad for my wrong assumption. That is why I brought up getting your nails done.

Anyways, in big cities (NYC, LA) you hear all sorts of different languages. If you hear Russian, Arab, Chinese...etc...it is "culture"

If you hear Spanish then it is illegals refusing to assimilate...
No, if you start seeing all signage in russian, arabic and/or chinese that is a sign of refusal to assimilate. If you start hearing radio stations that are only russian, arabaic, chinese that would be a sign of a refusal to assimilate.
Hearing people speak a different language is not.
Hearing people demand you learn their language would be another sign of a refusal to assimilate.
So far the russians (and other eastern europeans), the pakastanis/iraqis/and others from the middle east, and the chinese (and other asians) may speak their first language to friends and family, but they do not demand the dominant culture of the united states to learn their langauge as they refuse to learn english. You don't see stories of police departments/social services/hospitals/governmental agencies/schools needing to learn any of the above mentioned languages --- only spanish. The home depot has english and spanish all over the store -- but not mandarin.
Bottom line, when an immigrant group demands that the country to which they are immigrating to learn their native tongue, that is a refusal to assimiliate.

 
Old 10-25-2008, 02:12 PM
 
Location: California
3,172 posts, read 5,993,791 times
Reputation: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVTX72 View Post
btw.....I AM A "HE"!!! Do you want that in Spanish to? Nah...this is America so I'll leave it just in English!
Why? Does it sound like I need to be told in Spanish? Does it look like I have a hard time speaking English?

Sorry, I just assumed. It sounded like a cat-fight to me. Like something women would fret about in the office. My bad.

Last edited by amc760; 10-25-2008 at 02:23 PM..
 
Old 10-25-2008, 02:23 PM
 
Location: Surprise, Az
3,496 posts, read 8,340,555 times
Reputation: 1832
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
No, if you start seeing all signage in russian, arabic and/or chinese that is a sign of refusal to assimilate. If you start hearing radio stations that are only russian, arabaic, chinese that would be a sign of a refusal to assimilate.
Hearing people speak a different language is not.
Hearing people demand you learn their language would be another sign of a refusal to assimilate.
So far the russians (and other eastern europeans), the pakastanis/iraqis/and others from the middle east, and the chinese (and other asians) may speak their first language to friends and family, but they do not demand the dominant culture of the united states to learn their langauge as they refuse to learn english. You don't see stories of police departments/social services/hospitals/governmental agencies/schools needing to learn any of the above mentioned languages --- only spanish. The home depot has english and spanish all over the store -- but not mandarin.
Bottom line, when an immigrant group demands that the country to which they are immigrating to learn their native tongue, that is a refusal to assimiliate.

Actually there are TV and Radio programs in Chinese in the LA area...
 
Old 10-25-2008, 02:42 PM
 
Location: California
3,172 posts, read 5,993,791 times
Reputation: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
Actually there are TV and Radio programs in Chinese in the LA area...
I dont think a lot of these people have spent a lot of time in ethnic neighborhoods in urban areas.

When they say everyone except Mexicans speak English, it really makes me laugh.

I can't help but think of Chinatown, Koreatown, Alhambra, Monterrey Park, etc.

I dont think they realize that theres even tv channels dedicated to Chinese, Koreans, Filipinos, etc.


And then they always bring up an example of so and so ethnicity in the office who speaks English being their evidence that all of so and so ethnicity speaks English. No ****. Theres tons of Latinos out there in offices and on the streets talking English too. Its embarassing really. Its like selective thinking.
 
Old 10-25-2008, 02:59 PM
 
2 posts, read 3,568 times
Reputation: 10
to mke a long story short they are not really welcome in this country i don't sit with them,nor do i talk to them i refuse to be around those strange talking people and one day things will get better because it won't be no more press one 4 english and 2 for spanish it will jest be english then what.
 
Old 10-25-2008, 03:09 PM
 
Location: California
3,172 posts, read 5,993,791 times
Reputation: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by trisia 09 View Post
to mke a long story short they are not really welcome in this country i don't sit with them,nor do i talk to them i refuse to be around those strange talking people and one day things will get better because it won't be no more press one 4 english and 2 for spanish it will jest be english then what.
We should make some kind of law where you don't have to sit with them or talk to them...
Bob Raven Law?.....uhh....Sam Robin Law..?

"Strange talking people" hahah
 
Old 10-25-2008, 05:10 PM
 
Location: Northridge CA
74 posts, read 109,460 times
Reputation: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by trisia 09 View Post
to mke a long story short they are not really welcome in this country i don't sit with them,nor do i talk to them i refuse to be around those strange talking people and one day things will get better because it won't be no more press one 4 english and 2 for spanish it will jest be english then what.
Who's not welcome?
Spanish speaking people?
Illegal immigrants?

Maybe you should cool it down a little.
Believe me I am on your side, but maybe you should check yourself before you criticize other people's English.

Let me help you out a little friend:
To make a long story short, they are not really welcome in this country. I don't sit with them, nor do I talk to them. I refuse to be around those strange talking people. One day things will get better because it will no longer be necessary to press 1 for English or 2 for Spanish. It will just be English. Then what?
 
Old 10-25-2008, 05:21 PM
 
Location: San Diego
32,798 posts, read 30,025,534 times
Reputation: 17687
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Enjoy your 'diversity training' for the moment---------that nonsense will soon be going away I suspect as pertains to kowtowing to some people for using a language other than English in the workplace.

Again: assimilate or be sidelined.

I work for a huge Company and had an 8 hour diversity class of which the theme was English in the workplace. It's not against the law just un-professional and rude.
 
Old 10-25-2008, 05:24 PM
 
Location: San Diego
32,798 posts, read 30,025,534 times
Reputation: 17687
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Sorry, I just assumed. It sounded like a cat-fight to me. Like something women would fret about in the office. My bad.

ummm that line could be offensive all in itself you know.
 
Old 10-25-2008, 05:35 PM
 
Location: California
3,172 posts, read 5,993,791 times
Reputation: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
ummm that line could be offensive all in itself you know.
Tell my lawyer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top