U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2008, 01:13 AM

1,435 posts, read 3,508,329 times

Advertisements

When my Italian and Polish ancestors immigrated to this country they certainly did not get the same language accommodations from Uncle Sam and big businesses that Hispanics both legal and illegal get today in the U.S. And that has to do with the fact that America was not so politically correct when my ancestors came to this country in the early 1900s. Now a days the higher ups bend over backwards to accommodate Hispanics with their language needs because they are afraid to be labeled as racists. America today has become too politically correct.

Old 10-26-2008, 01:28 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,745,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexrino View Post
Looking at the future, it would be wise to have your children learn to speak Spanish. In the near future we will be pursuing economies in Mexico, latin America, and South America. Where traditional Hispanic languages are spoken. If you kids will be working in these regions, and that is highly probable as the area opens up, they would benefit from being able to speak the language. Also, as business in these areas brings more people from these countries to America, speaking a second language would be a plus to your kids in finding a job. It's not a matter of patriotisim to only speak American English. Most colleges require some study in a second language. You child can get a scholorship if they can speak and learn another language.

The hispanic language is not the only language that will lend itself to helping your child in their career. Chinese, Russian, German, French, all the romance languages will assit anyone in the business world. It a global economy that is growing along the road to progress and stepping backward into time is not going to happen. Keep moving forward if you want to keep up, or there will be many people in other countries, speaking their language and English that will be avaliable to take your childrens career from them.
Time will tell. Right now this global economy isn't looking so great. And with the violence in Mexico, I might not want to see my kids learning Spanish so they can work in Mexico. The flood of people out of there doesn't seem to be making for much stability.

Old 10-26-2008, 01:54 AM

15,088 posts, read 16,946,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post

The girl the OP mentioned may have just been being a smart a$$. I don't believe she was actually suggesting that the OP learn Spanish.
Agreed. I think everyone was getting hot under the collar and starting to get irrational...which anger will cause.

Quote:
Here in America, when we are kids, we always ask each other "what nationality are you" and I have yet to meet a kid that says "American" because it is understood that we are asking what each other's ethnic background is. We are fascinated with it. Most kids know at an early age what their ethnic makeup is, even if it's like, 7 different nationalities!
Agreed.

Quote:
When I was a kid, my cousins and I would play and pretend we were speaking French like our Memere (grandmother) She spoke French with her mother and sister, and none of her 8 kids speak French today. It is a shame. After her mother and sister died, I never heard her speak French again, until my father in law, who speaks 3 languages, spoke to her in French. She hadn't spoken French in years, and I was so proud of her as he asked her a question and she didn't miss a beat, she answered him right back.

It sometimes annoys me, seeing random signs in Spanish, or having to press "1" for English, but I believe that if people speak a second language, they should do everything in their power to make sure their kids learn it as well. My husband speaks a second language, and is not teaching it to our kids. After taking 7 years of French, 5 years of Spanish, and 1 year of Russian, and not being fluent in any of them, I am pretty pi$$ed about him not making the effort. And the kids will be to, when they realize the opportunity he screwed them out of.
You have an interesting story.

I have a similar situation. My Mom is Vietnamese. She speaks the language fluently as she was born and raised in Vietnam. She came to the United States in 1971. When it came to language skills, because she was worried our English would be negatively affected, she (regrettably now) never taught my brother and I any Vietnamese. My Dad was half Mexican and half German but spoke neither language. Could you imagine if I learned Vietnamese, Spanish, and German in addition to English?? Literacy in all of those languages would have been a valuable asset for me on so many levels.

English only is one thing but sometimes English only is...

Old 10-26-2008, 02:22 AM

1,435 posts, read 3,508,329 times
I wish I was fully fluent in Polish and Italian, but I am not going to lose sleep at night over it.

Old 10-26-2008, 04:45 AM

12,870 posts, read 12,780,036 times
i would like to learn chinese because that is who we are all going to be answering to if things keep going the way that they are going in this country.....

Old 10-26-2008, 08:34 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,640,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexrino View Post
Looking at the future, it would be wise to have your children learn to speak Spanish. In the near future we will be pursuing economies in Mexico, latin America, and South America. Where traditional Hispanic languages are spoken. If you kids will be working in these regions, and that is highly probable as the area opens up, they would benefit from being able to speak the language. Also, as business in these areas brings more people from these countries to America, speaking a second language would be a plus to your kids in finding a job. It's not a matter of patriotisim to only speak American English. Most colleges require some study in a second language. You child can get a scholorship if they can speak and learn another language.

The hispanic language is not the only language that will lend itself to helping your child in their career. Chinese, Russian, German, French, all the romance languages will assit anyone in the business world. It a global economy that is growing along the road to progress and stepping backward into time is not going to happen. Keep moving forward if you want to keep up, or there will be many people in other countries, speaking their language and English that will be avaliable to take your childrens career from them.
Not anytime soon.

Outside of Latin America/Spain: Spanish is not widely spoken in the world.
French too is fading in importance.
German dwindling as well
Russian is pretty much Russia only
Chinese: ditto

I do agree it may wise for a person to know another (or two) but; some of us (like myself) have no need to speak any language outside of English, I do not travel abroad, period.

The above stated: the lingua franca of the world is English: aviation, diplomacy, science, etc.

Old 10-26-2008, 08:43 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,640,026 times
Quote:

It sometimes annoys me, seeing random signs in Spanish, or having to press "1" for English, but I believe that if people speak a second language, they should do everything in their power to make sure their kids learn it as well. My husband speaks a second language, and is not teaching it to our kids. After taking 7 years of French, 5 years of Spanish, and 1 year of Russian, and not being fluent in any of them, I am pretty pi$$ed about him not making the effort. And the kids will be to, when they realize the opportunity he screwed them out of.
In defence of your husband: maybe he decided to go 'all out' in becoming an American and decided to cut his ties to his ancestral culture-----------many 'minorities' did that prior to WW II to fit in when they arrived here from Europe, Japan, etc.

Old 10-26-2008, 02:06 PM

8,180 posts, read 11,039,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Because Spanish speakers don't stick in enclaves. Theyre all over the place.
And Spanish speakers didnt force businesses to offer a Spanish translation, the businesses chose to do it to gain the Latino market.
So whine to them. Though I doubt they'll listen because your annoyance is a small price to pay for all the Spanish speakers out there being consumers.

You only notice Latinos not speaking English because they are so much more widespread, larger in numbers, and dont stick to enclaves. You either haven't been, or choose not to acknowledge all the ethnic enclaves full of foreign language speakers.
Which still begs the question....are spanish speakers learning english at the same rate as other non english speaking immigrants? After all, if there wasn't a need, businesses would not be going bilingual. And if businesses are going bilingual, does that give spanish speaking immigrants any incentive to learn english?
We have a large sudansese population which is spread out, and noone is making accomadations for them. But then, they are fluent.

Old 10-26-2008, 02:42 PM

3,172 posts, read 5,998,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Which still begs the question....are spanish speakers learning english at the same rate as other non english speaking immigrants? After all, if there wasn't a need, businesses would not be going bilingual. And if businesses are going bilingual, does that give spanish speaking immigrants any incentive to learn english?
We have a large sudansese population which is spread out, and noone is making accomadations for them. But then, they are fluent.
How many Sudanese are here compared to Latinos?

My question is, are you letting your bias and preconceived notions of Hispanics from this debate CONVINCE you that they are the only ones not speaking English when they are newly immigrated?
Are you buying that tripe that every other group speaks English off the boat, or shortly after?

And what doesnt seem to be hitting home for you, is that businesses don't have a "need" to market in Spanish. They do it to gain consumers. This dark secret organization of "LaRaza" didnt put a gun to their collective heads to put some Spanish on the labels. THEY CHOOSE TO DO IT!
I'm not going to sit hear and try to teach Business and Marketing 101. I didn't study it, but its pretty much common sense.
Same thing as marketing to children with cartoon characters and wacky colorful fonts on the label.

Also, you know even in a U.S. territory(legals!) like Puerto Rico, HEAVY SPANISH SPEAKING POPULATION. Not to mention all the Mexicans crossing the border LEGALLY to shop in border cities like San Diego and El Paso. Those businesses are just trying to cover all bases, to make MONEY.

If they didnt have that Spanish fine print, they would still be consumers. But businesses don't want to risk it.

Take your beef with the businesses. They'll laugh you out the building.
But who cares? I dont see the big deal about people speaking foreign languages. And I dont see why it upsets people like you so much that Spanish is used more than other languages. Its not like you depend on the other languages. It appears to be just spite towards Hispanics, or illegals if you will.

As long as the newly immigrated's children are speaking English, there is no cycle of a people not learning English. English is not dying in any population. So why so hot and bothered over the language thing? The principle of it? Spite?

Old 10-26-2008, 07:23 PM

8,164 posts, read 9,374,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
And what crushes that variety of insolent Spanish speaker is chattering away in for of him/her in a third language--------like German.

That pisses 'em of and tend to make said person feel about 2" tall.
I'm seriously going to have to remember this and start speaking French around them! I love it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration