U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Percentage Of American Born Hispanics Do You Think Would Feel Uncomfortable Living In Majority Non H
100% 3 27.27%
90% 2 18.18%
80% 2 18.18%
70% 1 9.09%
60% 0 0%
50% 0 0%
40% 0 0%
30% 1 9.09%
20% 0 0%
10% 2 18.18%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 11:20 PM

1,435 posts, read 3,506,803 times

Advertisements

I remember watching an episode "George Lopez Show" where George complained that that there needs to be more Mexicans moving into his suburban neighborhood because he thought it was too White. And in real life George did play the race card when his show got cancelled. So anti-Anglo sentiments seem to be just as widespread among American born Hispanics as it is among illegals.

Old 10-25-2008, 11:27 PM

3,172 posts, read 5,995,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
I remember watching an episode "George Lopez Show" where George complained that that there needs to be more Mexicans moving into his suburban neighborhood because he thought it was too White. And in real life George did play the race card when his show got cancelled. So anti-Anglo sentiments seem to be just as widespread among American born Hispanics as it is among illegals.
Stop "race baiting".

Old 10-25-2008, 11:53 PM

15,088 posts, read 16,935,776 times
Quote:
These types of neighborhoods exist in most regions of the U.S. When I say "Leave It To Beaver" that's basically my way of saying lily white. Where do you live since you have never seen such neighborhoods in person ? East Los Angeles ?
Lighten up. I edited my post before you posted. You may want to read it again as I added what I consider to be a more 'serious' response to your question. I've made it easy - here it is:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
These neighborhoods exist ?

Anyway, the Beaver's neighborhood appeared to be a middle class neighborhood. So from a class standpoint, I'd say there would be no discomfort as there are middle class Hispanics. From a cultural standpoint, I'd say there would no discomfort, as well. If they were born here (or came to this country at a very young age), then they will embrace/incorporate the various elements of American culture around them automatically unless their parents went to incredible lengths to shelter them from it. They would be practically Americans even if they didn't "look" it...
I have been to various places in the Midwest such as Madison, Wisconsin; Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania (does that count?); Dayton, Ohio; and Chicago. The first was when I would visit my brother when he was in college in Madison, Wisconsin (where he met his wife who is of German descent), the second was when I would visit my brother while he worked on his graduate degree, and the third was/is when I visit him, his wife, and my nephew at their home. There is a really good Indian food restaurant near him that was to die for!! Too bad they didn't have any pho restaurants...or In-N-Out (although Culver's, admittedly, was good). Chicago is always a treat for me and I make a point of visiting if possible. I almost forgot - I have been to Green Bay and I have visited my sister-in-law's family farm.

Anyway, I observed in all instances (except Chicago) that a significant majority of the population were white people. It didn't bother me, though. It doesn't seem to bother my brother either. It doesn't bother my Vietnamese mother. Hmmm...it doesn't bother anybody.

Regarding East Los Angeles, I don't live there. There is very little new residential development occuring there these days. As I wanted a new home, ELA was never really an option. Furthermore, I wanted to live 'close' to where I work. So I live in the Inland Empire. Ideally, I would like to live in Pasadena one day but a lot of the nice homes there are expensive .

Last edited by MIKEETC; 10-26-2008 at 12:06 AM..

Old 10-25-2008, 11:59 PM

15,088 posts, read 16,935,776 times
Quote:
I never liked his show. Anyway, don't take one episode (literally and figuratively) as illustrative of Hispanics as a whole.

Old 10-26-2008, 12:44 AM

2,905 posts, read 6,420,331 times
Frankly, my husband is a foreign born American citizen, and there are many places that are "lily white" that I would not want to live in, because of our foreign sounding name. I can tell you right now, there are places that we WOULD be discriminated against.

And I am blond haired and blue eyed!

My "white" kids are currently integrating our rural school system. LOL....

Being "lily white" and being considered by others to be "lily white" are two different things.

Why are you asking the general population to make an assumption about how hispanics feel? What kind of poll is that?

Old 10-26-2008, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
Frankly, my husband is a foreign born American citizen, and there are many places that are "lily white" that I would not want to live in, because of our foreign sounding name. I can tell you right now, there are places that we WOULD be discriminated against.

Being "lily white" and being considered by others to be "lily white" are two different things.

Why are you asking the general population to make an assumption about how hispanics feel? What kind of poll is that?
Thats what I'm saying, haha

Old 10-26-2008, 01:36 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,722,338 times
Quote:
That guy is a racist though -- hopefully he doesn't represent most "hispanics". I think that it all depends on the person. If someone speaks English as a first language and feels American, then I don't think they would have a problem.

Some "hispanics" are lily white also -- but some of them might not like to live in a typical American neighborhood because they might be more into their own culture than someone who is mestizo. For example where I live, most of the lily white hispanics have servants and they would not fit in with the leave-it-to-beaver American neighborhood where people mow their own lawns and make their own beds.

Old 10-26-2008, 01:39 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,722,338 times
I think a lot of the "La Raza" types would definitely have a problem, but those people who aren't into raza (race) and are interested in becoming Americans and are willing to learn English, then there would be no problem.

Old 10-26-2008, 07:56 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post

I know of what you speak of there: my birth name (had it legally changed) is Hungarian and, worse, my surname sounded Hispanic/E Indian/Italian/Arab-----------and, I am 'white-White'. My point being I have run into some prejudice till the 'Rednecks' saw me and damn near crapped their britches since I was usually 'whiter' than them.

Old 10-26-2008, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Uh, yeah....
Most of the posts I get accused of race baiting on are because I respond to posts about race. Like this one so clearly is.
Anyways, your comment towards me is attempting to flame, an attempt to start an argument, which I think falls under trolling. Or so I've been told.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or