Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 09:00 AM

3,923 posts, read 3,645,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
We have turned a blind eye to these immigrants for years as they provide cheap labor and bolster our economy. Amnesty is the honest thing to do if we have no resolve to send them back; I have seen no serious politician really interested in doing that.
Well I have seen thousands of determined "citizens" who would be glad to assist in their relocation. It's funny how so many people talk about what politicians want to do. Um, aren't they supposed to be the voice of the people? Aren't they supposed to do what we want?

Also, it seems to be the common opinion of many people that the illegals do the jobs Americans don't want to do. That may have been true when they were farmers, but now they are after MY job! And guess what, I am an American citizen who does want to do his job just like the thousands upon thousands of unemployed Americans who would love to be doing their job again. Sure, the immigrants bolster the economy. By taking jobs that used to pay a decent wage and doing it for nothing thus creating huge profits for the persons employing them. Then, you have the added bonus of their spending. I have personal knowledge of the way many of our immigrant friends live. And that is, Communally. You know, if I lived with 25 other Americans I am sure I could spend 80% of my paycheck on luxuries as well. But see, I am an American and grew up with the "American Dream" in mind. You know, a place of my own to call home and to be able to care for my family without worry. And allowing all of these illegals to continue to take my job and your job is just out and out spitting on our chances of attaining these rather small goals.

Amnesty is treason. Allowing an invading force, even a peaceful one, to come in and work and function as Americans is a treasonous act. Our government is allowing this to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2008, 09:03 AM

3,923 posts, read 3,645,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
If Obama wins and grants amnesty to the illegals in this country, it will be difficulty for Republicans to win again in the foreseeable future. Those illegals will become faithful supporters of the Democratic party because they were granted amnesty. I don't think people realize how serious this is. So far I've refrained from discussing the election much with anyone in my real life. But I am going to start. This is far too important. Fellow conservatives, we have to get the message out. Obama cannot be allowed to win this election.
Neither candidate has expressed any interest in talking about this crisis. This leads me to believe that both candidates, not just the Democratic one, aim to try and push amnesty on the American people. This is a worthy topic of discussion, but not solely as a push to vote Republican. This a real problem which affects all parties and should be discussed in a reasonable fashion. Trying to con voters into thinking this way is just a little desperate in my opinion. And you can all watch and see. Obama or McCain, we will be hearing talk of amnesty again soon!

Old 10-25-2008, 09:05 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,122,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Well I have seen thousands of determined "citizens" who would be glad to assist in their relocation. It's funny how so many people talk about what politicians want to do. Um, aren't they supposed to be the voice of the people? Aren't they supposed to do what we want?

Also, it seems to be the common opinion of many people that the illegals do the jobs Americans don't want to do. That may have been true when they were farmers, but now they are after MY job! And guess what, I am an American citizen who does want to do his job just like the thousands upon thousands of unemployed Americans who would love to be doing their job again. Sure, the immigrants bolster the economy. By taking jobs that used to pay a decent wage and doing it for nothing thus creating huge profits for the persons employing them. Then, you have the added bonus of their spending. I have personal knowledge of the way many of our immigrant friends live. And that is, Communally. You know, if I lived with 25 other Americans I am sure I could spend 80% of my paycheck on luxuries as well. But see, I am an American and grew up with the "American Dream" in mind. You know, a place of my own to call home and to be able to care for my family without worry. And allowing all of these illegals to continue to take my job and your job is just out and out spitting on our chances of attaining these rather small goals.

Amnesty is treason. Allowing an invading force, even a peaceful one, to come in and work and function as Americans is a treasonous act. Our government is allowing this to happen.
As you stated

Old 10-25-2008, 11:10 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,966,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
If the economy keeps tanking, all the illegals will go home on their own and probably end up having to still erect a fence to keep Americans in.
They ARE they going home for lack of jobs here (which is one reason why it has faded a bit as an issue), so we know that we do not have to round them up, just exact severe penalities on businesses that hire them.

A very simple solution.

I don't know much about the drug culture, but perhaps border security IS tighter.
I thought this because Calderon, of Mexico, is going to make drug possession, in small quantities, legal and open many rehab clinics in his country. Taking the profit out of drugs seems the only thing that has worked as a 'war on drugs'.

The Bush administration is angry and trying to talk him out of it.

So, I am thinking, perhaps those drugs that used to come through Mexico to the states have backed up in Mexico, lowering the price there and addicting more of their own people (which naturally is increasing their crime rate).

Instead of bringing income into Mexico, by selling drugs in the US, the drug trade is becoming a deficit to Mexico.

Old 10-25-2008, 11:14 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,122,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
They ARE they going home for lack of jobs here (which is one reason why it has faded a bit as an issue), so we know that we do not have to round them up, just exact severe penalities on businesses that hire them.

A very simple solution.

I don't know much about the drug culture, but perhaps border security IS tighter.
I thought this because Calderon, of Mexico, is going to make drug possession, in small quantities, legal and open many rehab clinics in his country. Taking the profit out of drugs seems the only thing that has worked as a 'war on drugs'.

The Bush administration is angry and trying to talk him out of it.

So, I am thinking, perhaps those drugs that used to come through Mexico to the states have backed up in Mexico, lowering the price there and addicting more of their own people (which naturally is increasing their crime rate).

Instead of bringing income into Mexico, by selling drugs in the US, the drug trade is becoming a deficit to Mexico.
Can someone say Karma?

Old 10-25-2008, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
If Obama wins and grants amnesty to the illegals in this country, it will be difficulty for Republicans to win again in the foreseeable future. Those illegals will become faithful supporters of the Democratic party because they were granted amnesty. I don't think people realize how serious this is. So far I've refrained from discussing the election much with anyone in my real life. But I am going to start. This is far too important. Fellow conservatives, we have to get the message out. Obama cannot be allowed to win this election.
Check again. Both McCain and Obama seem to have the same approach to the illegal problem.

I am not sure you are correct about illegals voting for whomever gives them amnisty.

It was REAGAN who GRANTED AMNISTY years back, and I did not notice them voting for Republicans then.

REAGAN SAID IT WAS THE BIGGEST MISTAKE HE'D EVER MADE. It took a big man to admit such an error. I respect such candor.

Our economy is so bad right now, that I hope someone who makes these decisions is not thinking of their party's advantage, but what will most benefit the county as a whole.

So many of our own people have lost their jobs. If Americans would have those jobs that the illegals fill the salaries would be forced upward and maybe workers would have a bit of discretionary income and start spending, which would be a stimulus.

No disrespect to Mexicans, just trying to better their lives, but we really should put Americans first and they are holding salaries down. The last eight years have seen most middle class salaries stagnate, and heaven knows how the poor get by. Food pantries are seeing people on line who used to donate to them. They are running out of food. There are fewer donations and rationing is taking place.

The only gains in income, under Bush, were for those who are the wealthiest among us.

People accuse Obama of wanting to spread wealth around. Well, I do not disagree that those who benefited unequally under Bush should spread that around, and another way of spreading it around is to force those low paying jobs that illegals fill to be filled with Americans. Those salaries would just have to start creeping upward.

That would be helping the economy at both ends.

Old 10-25-2008, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Can someone say Karma?
Yeah. But I keep getting gnawing reminders of all those 'rumors' of various Presidents(both parties) and the CIA, and who knows who else - making money on the drug trade in the US.

I think of how Afghanistan is the world's largest supplier, or nearly, since the US 'invaded'.

I think of how reporters are not allowed to photograph the caskets of dead soldiers being flown in, and when a plane carrying them crashed, a casket cracked open, and out came - drugs.

I keep thinking of Bush, when first in office, wanting trucks passing either way over the Mexican border to no longer be inspected.

Then, I keep thinking of our 'moralistic' politicians, not wanting a fence or border patrol - and wonder if there's a connection.

I think of our moralistic politicians who don't want to legalize drugs nor open enough clinics and even see get angry at a nation that does this - why, because sales decrease?

Something smells rotten.
I really do not trust politicians when they get 'all moral' on us.

Don't speak to me of 'flags and bibles', discuss the facts, what works, what does not. Give us practical solutions, not empty phrases.

Educate our children to think critically so they are not as gullible and easily led as we.

Old 10-25-2008, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
Obama already said that he wants more Americans speaking Spanish, than what better way to make his wish come true than to legalize all of the 20 million illegals currently in this country and turning them into "Americans", there for the number of "Americans" who speak Spanish drastically increases making Barack one happy camper. I also would not be surprised if under a very radical leftwing Obama presidency he threatens to put members of the Minuteman project behind bars because he sees them as racist like nazis who are trying to divide America instead of uniting it. If that ever happened than the ACLU, the national council of la raza, and liberals all across America would c.u.m all over themselves.
Don't be disgusting. I am liberal. I would love to learn Spanish. Do you know there are two 'Spanish' languages, it seems. One is Castillian, which is spoken in Spain, and the other is a South American sort. You can get courses in one or the other.

So, I would have the choice of either speaking the language properly, or speaking one that would be understood by most of the folks who come to the US.

I think that is so, anyway.

Oh, and I am not a big illegal supporter, especially when our economy is so bad.

So don't tar all liberals with the same brush, please.

If McCain were still wanting TRUE campaign finance reform, wanted to extract the influence of huge corporations on our government, and would change his mind about illegals, I would have considered him.

Old 10-25-2008, 12:18 PM

50,245 posts, read 47,005,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
We have turned a blind eye to these immigrants for years as they provide cheap labor and bolster our economy. Amnesty is the honest thing to do if we have no resolve to send them back; I have seen no serious politician really interested in doing that.
Then crank up taxes for businesses that use them. Big time.

I'm Joe middle class, my pockets are empty from subsidizing YOUR employees. Start supporting yourself.

Old 10-25-2008, 12:24 PM

50,245 posts, read 47,005,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
How could they grant amnisty to all of them?
At least a third went home already for lack of employment in the US.
And if we had granted another amnesty they would still be here living off of more permanent social services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration