U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 08:17 AM

74 posts, read 109,467 times

Advertisements

Everyone = me
I apologize.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 10:29 AM

13,387 posts, read 16,200,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yac View Post
Everybody please calm down.
Yac.

Old 11-02-2008, 07:12 PM

8 posts, read 11,930 times
illegal immigration is a very difficult subject to agree upon because there are no facts. everything would be opinion except for statistics but then it depends on how its being use.

everyone is raised in different situations so their views are different.
im trying to write a report on this subject and I'm confused on which side to take because it's wrong that the immigrants are crossing without permission but there is a reason to do it.

but what i do not agree to illegal immigration is the crime factor.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:31 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,658,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvscandy View Post
illegal immigration is a very difficult subject to agree upon because there are no facts. everything would be opinion except for statistics but then it depends on how its being use.

im trying to write a report on this subject and I'm confused on which side to take because it's wrong that the immigrants are crossing without permission but there is a reason to do it.

Keep this saying in mind as your write your report

Beware of Greeks bearing gifts

Meaning
Don't trust your enemies.
Origin
An allusion to the story of the wooden horse of Troy, used by the Greeks to trick their way into the city. It is recorded in Virgil's Aeneid, Book 2, 19 BC:
"Do not trust the horse, Trojans. Whatever it is, I fear the Greeks even when they bring gifts."

Old 11-02-2008, 11:15 PM

74 posts, read 109,467 times
Quote:

What do you mean by "the crime factor"?

You should see how our economy is so greatly affected [in negative way]
by illegal immigration, and how illegal immigrants are taking a shortcut to get what many others (such as myself) have had to work so hard to get.

Old 11-02-2008, 11:37 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,200,288 times
Quote:

How can you disagree with the crime factor when you don't know the facts?
I'm trying to help you understand.
But first I'll say, just because we're against illegal immigration doesn't mean that we're racists and we hate immigrants. I don't care what you've heard contrary to that, but it's just not true.
This is not a race/hate based issue. It mostly has to do with, ignoring our Laws, getting away with it and then taking advantage of our public services.
But there's more to it than that.
Most citizens against "illegal immigration" are against it for a reason. Most every reason is that, sometime in lives we have been directly effected by illegals, whether it by a tragety in the family or in the neighborhood.
Myself, my only son was killed by a hit-n-run driver, which turned out to be an unlicensed illegal immigrant from El Salvador. He was caught but never did time. He was taken to the border and released.
Should I just turn a blind eye and consider it a lost cause?
I don't hate anyone for this, what I do want is some kind of control on illegal immigration and yes......justice.
I'm not the only one who has had a loss in the family directly from illegal immigration.
Why don't you post a new thread and ask some of the people here to give a synopsis on what caused them to turn against illegal immigration.

Quote:
immigrants are crossing without permission but there is a reason to do it.
Do you realize what your saying?

There's a reason for everything.
Crossing the border without permission is not a LEGALreason.

What your saying is like:
Someone robs a liquor store, but he has a REASON: he needed money.
Should he be excused?

Is it really that difficult?

Old 11-03-2008, 05:53 AM

12,870 posts, read 12,772,010 times
we are turning into a country where we allow "poor" people or people who claim poverty to use this as a defense for all kinds of illegal behavior, from entering the country illegally to redistribution of the wealth in our own country. this is just an extension of that philosophy really, which is that the poor have rights to get what they want by any means "necessary". that is basically anarchy around the corner!

Old 11-03-2008, 06:14 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
we are turning into a country where we allow "poor" people or people who claim poverty to use this as a defense for all kinds of illegal behavior, from entering the country illegally to redistribution of the wealth in our own country. this is just an extension of that philosophy really, which is that the poor have rights to get what they want by any means "necessary". that is basically anarchy around the corner!
And the irony is that if the supply of illegals were shut off----------then there would indeed be more 'redistribution of wealth' due to wages being forced upwards at the expense of the greedy members of the so-called upper classes.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:29 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Quote:

Well -- there are facts but there are a lot of them. Not all illegals come for the same reason, not all illegals are just looking for a job that will require hard work for low pay.

Some illegals actually want to do nothing but earn a bit of money through hard work, get over some financial crisis back home or get ahead a little, or even just for the adventure of coming here for a little while. They are informal "guest workers" because their intention is to go back home.

Some illegals start as that but end up deciding they're going to stay. Some illegals are pregnant girls and women who have decided they're through with working hard for a living and are coming because they like the idea of food stamps, WIC, free everything that having a baby here brings.

Some illegals are drug traffickers, not coming to work hard at all but are working for their drug cartels getting their drugs into every city and town in the USA, making big profits by harming Americans. Some are other kinds of criminals -- the MS13 gangs for example because crime here pays better than back home.

Some are family members of other illegals. They're brought in because things aren't working out so well back home but they can include any of the above. Or they can be family members of legals -- health care is easily obtained by an ill illegal and once they are here they won't be denied and back home they would have to pay something for their care. You see wealthy legals bringing over their elderly and ill, illegally and they don't pay their way.

Many illegals are married or have children back home and come here because they want to give them more. They will see the food stamps and free schools and easier life here and decide to smuggle those children in, or they will meet some woman or man here and start a new family and often will "forget" about the family back home. Or they will remember the family back home and even with a new family started up, remember to send something to them now and then. Or they remember the family back home, decide they miss them and return home to them.

There are illegals who are content with grabbing a rake or shovel and doing a job an American might not want to do, or they take the seasonal jobs that pay no benefits and very little wages. Or they decide they want a job an American or legal immigrant would like to have and steal someone's social security number or green card and will commit any kind of felony fraud to get what they want.

Old 11-04-2008, 09:52 AM

3,440 posts, read 7,047,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
If the Government cannot make money by solving a problem in this country...that problem will not get solved.
So "We The People" are going to have to decide whether we need/want a Government or not.
True. However, getting people to believe that the government is not in our best interest, (all at one time) to me, is a unlikely feat. By the time people have completed college and watched hours of fox news/cnn it's pretty much a done deal that there minds are primed for instruction from the Government.

Look at this hole game show called the elections. Essentially all the idiots going to the poles to vote thinking that they are actually part of the process of selecting the next subservient president is beyond comprehension.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or